BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend gets sick as a passenger in my M5. Even when I drive slowly!! Has anyone else experienced this, or do you think she's just using it as an excuse to get the keys off me and drive it...!?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Probably the smell of a new car, not all people fancy that smell very much...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
My girlfriend gets sick as a passenger in my M5. Even when I drive slowly!! Has anyone else experienced this, or do you think she's just using it as an excuse to get the keys off me and drive it...!?

I find new BMW's have a smell that you either like or hate, my wife does not like the smell of my M5, but when I got the AMG she was fine!!!

However I would still look at your latter comments.. these women can be very cunning.

·
Registered
234 Posts
DerRudy said:
the smell of a new car can make you sick, i heard it often is toxic :confused2

or maybe she wants to drive :D

In the words of Little John.."WHAAAT"...I think any new car smell is great...I know when I took delivery of my E39, I loved that new car BMW smell...All I can say is consider your self lucky enough to have the opertunity to smell a new M5 some of us here are dying to get a wif of the new E60......Jay.S :M5eyes:

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
TOPSUPRA said:
In the words of Little John.."WHAAAT"...I think any new car smell is great...I know when I took delivery of my E39, I loved that new car BMW smell...All I can say is consider your self lucky enough to have the opertunity to smell a new M5 some of us here are dying to get a wif of the new E60......Jay.S :M5eyes:
I'll see if I can bottle it and sell it to you... hiha

·
Registered
943 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Maybe it´s the visibility that´s bothering her? Higher door sides/smaller windows. You feel that you sit lower and have less visibility/control of the situation. Less outside references around you.

My wife also has a tendency to be more sick in the M5 than in the 545!
It was the same thing in the old M5.
Maybe it´s the driving style or car setup anyway, I don´t know. I think that I drive smooth when I have my wife in the car, maybe I´m not or maybe it´s impossible to drive as smooth as in the 545 ( 6 sp auto )?

I don´t think it´s the new car smell.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Without meaning to be sexist (they may even be the superior gender), on most occasions there's no accounting for what makes a woman sick in a car. My wife gets sick in any car, if asked to look at a road map or spend more than a few seconds pushing buttons on the car console. The feeling of a seatbelt loosely against my wife's waist makes her chest hurt and subsequently causes a headache. My two college-age daughters both get sick after only a few miles riding in the back seat of our 740iL, no matter how carefully any of us drives the car. Neither has any trouble in the back seat of my M5, even when my driving is somewhat spirited. None of these women would last long in a rear-facing seat, such as in a Mercedes E-series touring. In most such circumstances neither the driver nor the car is at fault. That's just the way it is, and you have to find a work-around. It can be as simple as directing a little more fresh air toward the affected party, rotating seating positions, or reading the road map during a pit stop instead of while in the car.

Richard

·
Registered
431 Posts
No, but that Indian Red interrior does...and I don't even have my car yet.

Floyd .....2006 M5. Black Saphire, Silverstone II......

Filthy Monkey said:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Slow doesn't mean smooth. You can still drive the car fast but smooth and the passanger won't feel sick :)

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
MortenDK said:
Probably the smell of a new car, not all people fancy that smell very much...
This could be alot of things. I once read about a case where the owner got sick all the time in a car he just purchased. As he never used to get car sick before he started to check....

They found out that it had something to do with electrical current. Static electricity.... Actually not sure what kind, its many years since I read this.

But I think he installed something to lead away the current. Something like the thing you use to protect against lightining.......

Soory I can not remember better, but they found the a soloution in the problem.

Anyone else heard such an explanation.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts