BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people...
Does your M5 burn oil? And how much? Is it normal ; and what is normal and expected for these cars?

·
Registered
379 Posts
2000 miles on mine thus far, and no measurable oil consumption.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just added a quart on the 22nd.... But I don't drive the car much. I'm monitoring it now to see the consumption. Just wondering if this is normal?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just added a quart on the 22nd.... But I don't drive the car much. I'm monitoring it now to see the consumption. Just wondering if this is normal?
Yes it's normal, I believe BMW has said up to 1qt/1,000 miles is normal. I do about a quart every 1,500 miles, though I seem to burn more on highway trips. I did switch to the newly recommended 5w30 Castrol as well though so I expect that some of the additional oil burning is from thinner oil.

Also has anyone used a oil stabilizer like Lucas??

About Us - Lucas Oil

About Us - Lucas Oil
I would recommend against using oil additives on an engine like this. It might be ok on your average 4 cylinder, but at the level this engine performs I would not want to add something like that into the mix.

·
Registered
411 Posts
1 liter per ~1000 miles. Does that mean we should never need to change the oil? I mean in 15k miles, you have essentially put 15 new bottles of oil in there keeping things fresh. Just kidding, don't flame.....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
i burn about a liter per 1,000 miles regularly in the past 3 years of ownership.

and yes, get an oil change. it helps to start fresh and swap your filter at regular intervals...

1 liter per ~1000 miles. Does that mean we should never need to change the oil? I mean in 15k miles, you have essentially put 15 new bottles of oil in there keeping things fresh. Just kidding, don't flame.....

·
Registered
283 Posts
My car use to consume about 2-3.5 quarts every 7k miles. I changed my oil intervals to 5k miles and now it only consumes about 1.5 quarts every 5k miles. Is it normal? yes so don't worry about that part. All M motors consume a lot of oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1qt per 1100mi for me.

I just bought the car from a non BMW dealer, I wonder if they used the right oil or just usual El cheapo oil.
I'm kinda interested in seeing if the car runs better after a change with the right oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine burns based on how much i use the M button - the less i use it, the less oil gets burned, the more I use it, the more I keep putting oil in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
1qt per 1100mi for me.

I just bought the car from a non BMW dealer, I wonder if they used the right oil or just usual El cheapo oil.
I'm kinda interested in seeing if the car runs better after a change with the right oil.
You should ask them. When I bought the M5 from an Audi dealership, they used Castrol 5w-40 oil, and I had them replaced with TWS 10W-60.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Wow look at all you oil burners.... 52k, change every 5k w/lubro moly and drive her like I stole it every time out and have added 1quart in the 30k I've owned her??? I've always followed the warm up procedure in that mysterious book called the OM as well!!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lubro moly

Wow look at all you oil burners.... 52k, change every 5k w/lubro moly and drive her like I stole it every time out and have added 1quart in the 30k I've owned her??? I've always followed the warm up procedure in that mysterious book called the OM as well!!!

Cheers!
What ios the active ingredient in lubro moly? I'm wary of anything that could mess with the oil viscosity - given the rod bearing issues on both S85 and S65 engines.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts