BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am in the process of getting a MK4 nav computer from somewhere in germany and one of the guys said that his unit is from 2003.

Does it matter what year it was made? are 2003 units quicker than say a 2001 unit?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Not to my knowledge. My 2003 car has a Mark 4, it was manufactured in 2002....

Make sure the BMW part number is the correct part for your car- you don't want some funky recoding/dealer visit to be required...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will have to have it recoded anyway with the part coming from germany, but a good friend of mine works for the local dealer so I can get the part recoded without incident (I hope ;))

What does coding actually do?

It's just that I have two offers from different people. 550 euro (delivered) and 488 Euro (delivered)

The 488 one made the point of stating it was a 2003 unit, and I was just wondering if that was for any purpose.

I have replied asking him but I try and keep conversation to a minimum due to the language barrier.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
There are differences with firmware, but I've not really identified what differences are seen with diff versions. It MIGHT be that later firmware deals better with turning off the CD when selecting Sirius mode...

I don't know what coding actually does- broadly it ensures that software codable features in the car or modules are all properly configured.

boostmiester had been looking to buy a unit from the EU- not sure if he did, there were some issues with unresolved questions about compatability.

I assumed you've asked for pictures/closeups of the labels on the units- that will have part #, and firmware revisions... f

Good luck-

A

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have but have not received any as yet, but not that I would know if it was compatible or not ;)... the local dealer did not really know either .. they have a part number that they order, but that is not to say that another number may not work either, as the same computer can be used in different kits (like retrofit kits) but still have the same internals.

Firmware is an interesting problem, how would one know if the firmware is compatible for an E39, if the unit for example comes from a Z4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts