BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I checked on that car myself. I spoke with the owner, found out the warranty is over and the car had been hit in the rear driverside. From the pictures it looks like it was a very good repair. I have emailed him twice since we spoke the other day asking him for detailed pictures of the car and I have had no response from him. The car looks good and thats a very good price.

The damage to the rear of the car is the only thing that scares me. I would have to have someone really take a good look at the bodywork before I pulled the trigger.

Anyone in the San Jose area want to go check this car out for us?

·
Registered
72 Posts
He might be desperate/motivated to sell; I've seen that exact craigslist ad up at least twice before in the last 3 months.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This car is on Autotrader as well. I talked to the owner and confirmed it had been hit in rear quarter. No suspension or driveline damage but new quarter panel, rear bumper, trunk, etc. He said it was an $8,000 bill. That scared me off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried to purchase this car sometime last month. Barry from this board was going to look at it for me,:cheers: and then I was going to fly out and drive it home. The guy called me 1 hour before Barry showed up, and said that he had sold it. Pretty Flakey guy. Is it up for sale agian???:confused2

Peace, Hector Lopez

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
The car looks good in Pics, but if it's been hit in the rear quarter, well that makes sense @ $38,900. That is a huge red flag, be careful, I hope things work out well in your future purchases:byebye:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mark: I also contacted the owner of this car while I was looking last fall. He's really flakey, and when I finally got the VIN number from him, I discovered that the car has a California SALVAGE TITLE! Given the flakiness of the seller and the salvage title, I did not pursue it further.

No wonder the owner has had trouble selling it!

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Price is realistic if you base what dealers will give you on trade for similar car equally equipped. I had three dealers (two in CA and one in AZ) very recently offer me between $33K to $35K for my 2000 M5, which has everything the car discussed has plus Stage 3 suspension, Brembo brakes, AC Schnitzer 19" wheels, and new SO3 tires. Car has 42,300 miles...never been hit or repainted. Runs great. Same color as discussed car. Market is very slow for M5's right now. I think guy wants to buy something new, got low offers from dealers, trying to get a little more from outright sale versus trade-in.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Mark:I discovered that the car has a California SALVAGE TITLE!

Mike
Wow! Are you serious. He told me $8k in work. It would need a lot more then that to justify as salvaged. I think to be salvaged the price to repair needs to exceed 80% of the cars value so we're talking $30k+ in damage. Wow! Glad I ran away from that one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Mark: I also contacted the owner of this car while I was looking last fall. He's really flakey, and when I finally got the VIN number from him, I discovered that the car has a California SALVAGE TITLE! Given the flakiness of the seller and the salvage title, I did not pursue it further.

No wonder the owner has had trouble selling it!

Mike
Guys/ Mike,

Thanks for all your input and information. I was watching this car on craigslist before I decided to the buy my current M5. I had a feeling something was fishy about the car but never bothered to contact the owner.

I guess following my hunch was right...Thanks again for the input.

Good to know that fellow board members are looking out for you.

Best,
Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love this board!

I too had been tracking multiple cars before finding my baby. Rule #1 - If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is......

When shopping, especially on a too good to be true, asking whether the car has been hit is one indicator, but when you ask about the Title and guys says 'Salvage Title', no good can come of it. Everything has its price, but it is back to what level of risk you want to assume. If he can't sell it, what are you gonna do with it!

I agree with the 'flakey' comments as well. You know when a car has the right history, it is worth something. Conversely, if it doesn't, stay away.

Peace
JR

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with this guy, and the car is up for sale again! This is one car that I would definitely stay away from!!!:nono:

Like I said earlier;

I tried to purchase this car sometime last month. Barry from this board was going to look at it for me,:cheers: and then I was going to fly out and drive it home. The guy called me 1 hour before Barry showed up, and said that he had sold it. Pretty flakey guy. Is it up for sale agian???:confused2

Peace, Hector Lopez

1 - 16 of 16 Posts