BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my car dynoed today. They used a Dynojet machine. First run came out alittle low. The car had sat there idling for an hour while we fumbling around with some other stuff in the shop. Pulled a 327 hp and 319 Ftlbs. We let the car cool down for about 20 minutes and did it again and I pulled a 338 hp and 329 ftlbs. Does this sound about right?? Also from a little search on this board it seems like my Air/Fuel ratio ia alittle high. Seems to be at about 14.5 for most of the range and then drops to about 12.5 to 13. Here are the graphs, maybe someone out there could help me out? The blue lines is the first run and the red lines is the second. thanx

HP

TOURQUE

AIR/FUEL

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Re: Does this seem normal?

yup looks fine. Power looks fine...you good. :haha2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jayson, Does my Air/Fuel ratio seem right?? Ive done a search and everyones seems to be at around 13.

·
Registered
944 Posts
great info guys cheers.....love the way the torque curve is so flat from circa 2500....the reason for most of the board's conversations around lovelove for the beast!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
baf3472 said:
Hey Jayson, Does my Air/Fuel ratio seem right?? Ive done a search and everyones seems to be at around 13.

Looks fine. The car eats more fuel at higher revs to make more power...it will vary from dyno to dyno...( thats one problem with dyno's) unless the is having some sort of "feelible" problem (is that a word?) :) then i woun't worry. 14.5 down to 12.5 is a good range through the power band...all looks good. :cheers:

·
Banned
386 Posts
Those are excellent numbers.... are you running stock?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah bone stock. B&M shifter is the only mod so far but im starting to get some stuff done. Thats one of the reasons i did the dyno so i can have a baseline for some of the stuff i have planned.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
let me add that my personal dyno numbers where 330hp 320 tq, and on a nother day 342, and 325...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
scoobdoo said:
I thought these beasties were meant to be pushing out 400bhp?

394 and 368 at the crank...the dyno people speak of measures the power put the wheels. You would need an engine dyno and remove the engine to test the acual output of the engine it self. You have a "drive line loss" of power and the result is your power at the wheels....for the e39 m5 around 325 to 340ish is normal.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Looks like your in the right range, that gives you 388hp at the crank assuming a 15% drivetrain loss. Make sure to use the same dyno after you re-dyno your car with mods. And, keep in mind any kind of intake system won't show power, or it's max potential on a dyno.

Travis

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
M5Kid said:
And, keep in mind any kind of intake system won't show power, or it's max potential on a dyno.
What if the aftermarket intake system allows the engine to ingest more air volume? Wouldn't there be a gain even if the car is stationary?

'Rocket

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
'Rocket:

You are correct on one manerism. The engine can only take so much air (X) in with its intake plenums. An aftermarket intake setup can only push X amount of air into the engine due to the the engine's breathing capacity. The main goal of an intake setup is to allow cooler air to fit through the 3' intake (cooler air is more dense, thus more air in that 3' area) and provide the engine with enough air to run at its maximum. The stock intake restricts this with its ductwork I beleive. So yes, I concur with you that a car would ingest more air even if stationary with an aftermarket CAI do to the above reasoning. I hope this jumbo makes sense to most people;).

·
Registered
268 Posts
well if you all are getting those kind of numbers stock--i must have had a real dog from the factory. i recored 329 hp on a dyno jet after i installed CAI, exhaust, MAF, and headers (all dinan). wish i had dyno'ed the car before i added the mods. loving the car--but i guess i won't be challening any of you stock guys any time soon!

mark

·
10,445 Posts
alpineblue said:
well if you all are getting those kind of numbers stock--i must have had a real dog from the factory. i recored 329 hp on a dyno jet after i installed CAI, exhaust, MAF, and headers (all dinan). wish i had dyno'ed the car before i added the mods. loving the car--but i guess i won't be challening any of you stock guys any time soon!

mark
I still think our 91 octane fuel is costing us some hp.
Mike

·
Banned
386 Posts
mottati said:
I still think our 91 octane fuel is costing us some hp.
Mike
Mike I hope you are right, cause if not then we (west coast guys) look pathetic.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Your fuel/air numbers are right on.
Assuming you haven't chipped your car, your mixture is what BMW shows as stock. 14.5 is their standard. This does not mean optimum however, and you noticed as you approach WOT (wide open throttle) you approach 12.5 which is the optimal number. Your ECU is "adaptave" to some extent and at part throttle will thus automatically adjust for your engine particulars. Within reason, as the system is open loop vice closed loop on many parameters. Not important to this discussion. In short, your numbers look great. Your cars HP numbers show only a 16-17% drive train loss for the "quoted" performance numbers at the flywheel 394. Looks like you have a very solid motor there congratulations.

R/War

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that one of the things that powerchip does when they reprogram your ECU?? That is one of the things i was planning on doing and was wondering how that affects everyday driving. My car is strickly a street car, no track and no plans for the track, was wondering how much, if any civility i would lose if i was to go that way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts