BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 540 M-Sport owner looking to move up to the Beast!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a 2002 Sterling Gray, I have not noticed any brown in it. The way to truly check this is to borrow a small piece with the color on it. Then go to a good paint store where the have optical color matching. The color recipe should list all of the components. This may be more complicated as the paint has some metalic, etc...

Good Luck :hihihi:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome to the board!

In certain light I do feel that Sterling has a hint of beige to it but it's a nice colour and certainly less boring than some of the other silver & grey variations out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. It is a beautiful color.

Has your M5 been reliable for you? Does it burn much oil?

Thanks,
Mike,

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think it does have a "brown" or, should we say "warm" hint to it. It's not a gun-metal grey like Tectile Grey on Benzes.

It does change under different lighting, for sure :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes- I agree- Its underlying grey scale is warmer than ti-silver- which is colder or more blue. SG+caramel is a stunning combo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
The Sterling is a beautiful color, welcome to the board and good luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
rost12 said:
I think it does have a "brown" or, should we say "warm" hint to it. It's not a gun-metal grey like Tectile Grey on Benzes.

I'm not a fan of personalized plates, but "E39 S52" is great! Subtle enough that only a few will understand.

As for Sterling Grey, I have not seen brown in mine, but it is a warm color. For me, it is perfect: just a dark enough shade of grey but light enough not to be so hot (I live in AZ!), not to show swirl marks, and to reflect the ambient colors.

Great photo!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
rost12 said:

Hey Rost12,

In that light, your Sterling looks like My Steel.

Steel in the Bright light/sun looks like Sterling in the shadows.

However Steel in the shadows is much darker.

Actually I like all the colours From TiSi, Silver Grey,Sterling, Antracite & Steel Grey.

They are like Stepping stones.

I like them all. I've had the too extremes, TiSi and Steel, so next one could be in between Silver Grey.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
184 Posts
Next to cooler/darker grey cars (steel grey, anthracite, Audi dolphin grey, Audi atlas grey, etc.), I think mine looks like it has a touch of bronze in it, but then if I'm parked next to a car that is actually bronze, beige or brown in color, it looks pure grey without any hint of brown whatsoever.

Also, I get a lot of fog/haze in the morning and a lot of red/orange chemical induced sunsets in the evening, so my car starts each day off looking very cool grey and gets progressively warmer in color as the day goes on. By sunset, it does look somewhat bronze to me, but only fleetingly.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think Sterling and Titanium are the two best silver/gray colors BMW offers, without question. I wish they were still offered in the 5 series.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know - if someone does get the optical matching done, I would be interested in seeing the results - heck if I am going to take a chip of paint off my car to do it...:nono:

I've attached a few more pics of my Sterling Grey - in different lights. As you can see, there are warmer tones when the sun is setting and the metallic really shows in bright sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Depending on the lighting it can appear grey, blue grey or a bronze grey. I may be biased, but I think it is one of the most unique colors BMW has ever offered.
Maybe the E90 wouldn't be so butt ugly if they put this color on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
KevinM said:
I'm not a fan of personalized plates, but "E39 S52" is great! Subtle enough that only a few will understand.

As for Sterling Grey, I have not seen brown in mine, but it is a warm color. For me, it is perfect: just a dark enough shade of grey but light enough not to be so hot (I live in AZ!), not to show swirl marks, and to reflect the ambient colors.

Great photo!
It is "E39 S62" no? Makes more sense...

- Kin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts