BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To give you a little background, my beast is at the dealership getting some work done, so they provided me with a 335di as a loaner. I found that I really liked the car mostly because it is averaging 27 mpg, compared to the beast at 17 mpg. With the price of gas estimated to exceed $4.00 per gallon here in the great state of North Carolina, I started researching my options. Buy another daily driver and make the beast a garage queen, or drive it daily as I do now. In my research I ran across the below tips and thought I would put it out there for the experts on the board to agree, or disagree, with. Remember, these are not my suggestions, just posting for creating debate and conversation.

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here
in California we are paying up to $3.75 to $4.10 per gallon. My line of
work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more
of your money's worth for every gallon:

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
<st1:City w:st="on">San Jose</st1:City> , </st1:place>
we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline..
One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and
premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of
16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when
the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations
have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more
dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in
the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In
the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the
gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products
plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.
But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle
to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)
stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby
minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump
have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the
liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up
and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for
your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank
is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the
less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you
can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This
roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes
the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck
that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually
the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the
storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the
gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you
might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Even if the price of gas goes up from where it was late last year (around $3.30/gal for 93) to $4.10/gallon (which is very likely), that's $0.80 per gallon increase. Say you drive the national average, which I think is now 14,000 miles per year. If you average 17 mpg in the beast (better than what I get!) then you're using 823.5 gallons of fuel per year. That comes out to an extra $658 in gas if you drive all 14,000 miles in the Beast. Do you think you can buy a daily driver and have it depreciate less than the money you save on gas? Even if gas goes up to $4.50/gallon, that's still only $988.20 in increased gas cost.

Let's say you drive A LOT. Like 28,000 miles. Then double those numbers. It's still tough to buy a reliable, fuel-sipping car and drive it 28,000 miles and have it depreciate less than $1200 - $1900.

Now if you want to take into consideration the savings in maintenance costs for a 4-cyl commuter car vs the M5, that makes more sense. But then gas prices aren't really the primary concern. This is the reason why I don't daily drive the M5 anymore, not the cost of gas.

Reactions: Lancefitzgiben

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am currently looking at a 335d as my new DD. I can not WAIT to get my hands on it, with ECU software you will be doing 300+ hp and 500+ ft lbs of torque, and get high 40 to low 50's on the hwy....sign me up!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
This time last year I had a 530d, which returned about 38mpg. So now that 98/99 is about £1.38/l I am paying about 2.5x what I was last year on fuel.

Does it get me down? Perhaps. Would I change back? No way

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
High price of gas at the moment has me a little more conscious of filling up...but not worried too much just yet. I've been doing what the last tip says ever since I got my beast; didn't know about the temeprature in the morning thing..interesting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In Short NO

If i was worried about a few extra ££ i would not have an M5

Reactions: 100%Cocoa

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You guys crack me up. Over here in the UK as i'm sure you know its around £1.38 for a premium gas. Thats about £5.21 for a US gallon which works out about $8.42 a gallon.

If i were getting my gas at half price i'd be over the moon. You also get a hell of a lot of maintenance type parts available for a lot less over there too like CPS, 02 sensors and the like.

IMO you should be thankful you are in one of the few lands of the world where its comparatively inexpensive to run and maintain a high powered car.

Jealous?? No not me, never hiha

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You guys crack me up. Over here in the UK as i'm sure you know its around £1.38 for a premium gas. Thats about £5.21 for a US gallon which works out about $8.42 a gallon.

If i were getting my gas at half price i'd be over the moon. You also get a hell of a lot of maintenance type parts available for a lot less over there too like CPS, 02 sensors and the like.

IMO you should be thankful you are in one of the few lands of the world where its comparatively inexpensive to run and maintain a high powered car.

Jealous?? No not me, never hiha
This is a bit off-topic but you UK guys have access to a lot more indy shops that can competently service our cars than we do over here. For us there are probably only a handful of shops across the country to which we can entrust our vehicles. Yeah some of our parts are cheaper but there's always a tradeoff.

Also, E39 M5 Touring. Nuff said.

Reactions: bobbyorr

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I know that compared to the United States, gas is much more expensive in many other parts of the world. Regardless, it's all relative, and prices are high for everyone's norm lately. Sure it sucks but what can I do? I choose to drive a 400hp V8. As my Mother always told me, "You made your bed, now you sleep in it!" My car is without a doubt my biggest expense, but this has never bothered me once. Worth every penny!

In any event, thanks for the tips, they actually sound legitimate. I generally already do fill up between 1/4 and 1/2 a tank out of good habit anyways.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
E39 M5 Touring. Nuff said.
I wish dude.

Europe only got the E34 M5 in touring guise and even that was only available as a LHD car so in Britain you had to import one. The E39 M5 tourer was only a prototype recently shown, and never released to the general public. I did hear a BMW employee/director type bod had one "made" but that could be an urban myth.

I can't comment on your lack of indy shops over there, but in all honesty we aren't exactly falling over them over here in the UK. There are very few indys or even dealers who have a decent knowledge of the E39 M5. We only ever got just short of 1500 examples in the UK and so you can imagine they are and have always been quite a rare sight. OK i admit that its easier to travel to the other end of the country even over here, but if you are a guy who is able to do his own maintenance and some repair work, then like for like its a cost that doesn't apply to that type of US/UK owner. I also hazard a bet that the labour costs of shops over in the US is also favourable towards you guys. At a decent indy you are looking at around £80 an hour, and dealers are upwards of £100-125. Given that tthe car is a relative unknown you can get silly quotes as techs simply do not know how much labour time to quote for.

An example would be rod bearings. Over here, Phil Crouch at CPC can do this for around the £1000 mark, given that he knows his way around the engines a lot. I have heard a few of you guys having quotes circa $1600 for the same job so thats about level.

Anyway, if you have to drive to the shop, rest assured you can drive twice as far as i can to get to a decent one, as your gas costs only half as much! LOL! :hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Good tips, I am going to have to start filling up, on low pressure, in the mornings!
That would make a HUGE difference with the heat that you get in AZ.

Also, in other countries, public transport is a LOT easier then the US. Not saying that negates fuel prices but, if I were able to take a train or bus to work everyday, I would not really care at all what fuel prices were. It is the fact that I, as do most other US citizens, HAVE to drive, I guess I could ride a bicycle, but it would be a good 1+ hr ride as well as in the winter, it would be -20 to -30C temps, I think you get my point.

My commute is 9.4 miles from home to work, so 18.8 miles times 5 days = 94 miles a week, so basically 4.5 to 5 gallons a week just to get to work, which would be ~ USD $20 ($80/month just to work to make money). If I could ride the bus or train, it would be MUCH less then that with a monthly/yearly pass.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hope that it doesn't go much higher, but nothing we can do.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The more expensive gas gets, the harder I drive the car. I figured that I might as well get the most fun for the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don´t really mind about the gas price either. You Can´t compare the smiles with money spent!

In Finland we´re also paying about 1.70/liter so the US prices are relatively low and you´re basically paying less than half what we do. When I was in the new country last year the price of gas blew my mind positively being "cheap" .

cheers,

SodeM5

·
Registered
489 Posts
As everyone has said already the prices are too high everywhere, but this is cheap, so cheap in fact that it's been years since it was this low.

I just filled up yesterday and it was 75$, 4.19 a gallon. Ridiculous
Here, here it's $125 to fill up!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts