BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the dealer do anything right? who can you trust to work on your car and for advise when you can't trust your own dealership? pothatic.

emperor

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
EMPEROR said:
does the dealer do anything right? who can you trust to work on your car and for advise when you can't trust your own dealership? pothatic.

emperor
i see you're from the sf bay area. i've had pretty good luck with concord bmw service (not sales). not cheap (if it's non-warranty) but they try to get stuff fixed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Believe it or not, I've actually have had excellent service from BMW of North Scottsdale (AZ) since purchasing my 03 Beast in January. The only major work I've had them do was install the Dinan Stage III suspension with a Tubi exhaust. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

After the installation, the Master mechanic came out to explain the install and his thoughts on the Dinan products. The Service advisor is extremely knowledgeable; they have a Technical information manager on staff to answer any technical questions I or the mechanic may have.<o:p></o:p>

Everyone I've dealt with there appear to be BMW enthusiasts.<o:p></o:p>

The service may be so good because Roger Penske owns the dealership and less than excellent service in his eyes is unacceptable.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

EMPEROR said:

emperor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sadly to say, my dealer is the only one that DOES get things right the first time. My car always comes back nice and tight. However I pay probably twice to three times I would if I went to an indie mechanic, and they still don't get it right. I pay for piece of mind, but I do pay.

But as with certain dealers, ymmv as far as quality of service.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I second the motion for a dealer recommender on this site-

Sure, there are ratings for dealerships- but the M5 is a different beast (pun intended). We want to know how different dealers service Ms, not 325s and 7 series...

BTW, my new vehicle was serviced a Sonnen- I was told by the prior owner that Todd Lamothe is THE guy to go to. (I spoke with him and was quite impressed with his straightforewardness and lack of BS... even offered to copy all service records.)

I need to forge a new relationship with Niello in Sacramento (only other choice is Roseville BMW...)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I have no complaints about the service nor the sales experience at the dealers I currently use. I point this out only as a counterbalance as threads like this tend to become negative. Many dealers are not good- but there are good ones too.

·
10,445 Posts
I also think it's a good idea to have a 'recommended dealer' list. The most important thing, imho, is a relationship with your sa. I've had good experience with my local dealer as well as not the best experience. It's really come down to having a SA who knows me, knows the product and my expectations. Having the service manager know you helps too, when i have any concerns, i usually discuss them directly with her. I also, usually, give them my 'normal' service business too, i think the goodwill works both ways (although i did cheap out and do my own inspection 2, $120 vs $850, but hey, i'm saving for headers!).
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
Can't complain at all about my dealer. They get it fixed right and they make sure the same man always works on the car when it is in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
kensan said:
Sadly to say, my dealer is the only one that DOES get things right the first time. My car always comes back nice and tight. However I pay probably twice to three times I would if I went to an indie mechanic, and they still don't get it right. I pay for piece of mind, but I do pay.

But as with certain dealers, ymmv as far as quality of service.
Kensan,
Where do you take your beast in Chicago? I live in the Western Burbs and so far have been happy with Patrick.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have to say I don't like my Local Dealer Hassel BMW, located in Freeport NY (long island). My service advisor is a young punk kid that's know's nothing about the Beast, I think I know more then he does about the Beast. He's always making dumb answers to my questions, I really feel sorry for anybody that goes to him. They have no type of customer relations or problem solving ability.

Bottom Line is that I feel Hassel is a Hassell. I have been thinking of trying Habberstad BMW which is also a Dinan Dealer as well. I have heard good things about them.

Marion

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

I have been really happy with my dealer's service dept at Wide World of Cars in Spring Valley, NY. They aren't cheap and I have 3 other dealers closer to my house or office. My service advisor drives an E34 M5 and is an enthusiast. He really takes care to explain what needs to be done versus what can wait. He also knows what things cost, none of this I'll have to call you back stuff.

One place I particularly dislike is Westchester BMW. I use them only for emergency work.

I have heard good things about Competition in Greenwich, CT which I believe is a Dinan and UUC shop.

Peter M

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most of the people at my dealership drive modded bmws. From a range of turbo m3's, to m3 engines in 330i's. One of my good friends who i cruise and go to meets with, is a technician at my BMW dealership. He takes me into the shop, and lets me see everything they do. The people there are VERY knowledgable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did my inspection II plus brake fluid flush yesterday for $ 901.75 with BMW CLUB discount on my 2000 and was informed I needed a new oil pan(and belts)....which was a surprise, since I had the car on a lift a few weeks ago and no leaks, bone dry and drain plug area good. I was informed that the dealer was picking up the cost of new pan because the drain plug seal area failed and should not have failed this early at 57,000 miles......I suspect mechanic stripped it......since they said they found metal shavings in the area.......never have known a dealer to pick up cost of oil pan or broken part after warranty have run out, which I am not complaining about, but wonder what else they broke or didn't do properly.......although the car seems stronger after plugs and mileage already is better and they always give me a loaner and wash my car each time after service....also.....luckily my company picks up cost of regular maintenance on my car.....whew.....on the price.... :wroom:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Andrew

THEY LIE THEY LIE THEY LIE...
the reason they are picking up the cost of your oil pan and your drain plug and gaskets is because the Master Tech did strip it..same thing happened to my car when they replaced the conrod bearings. Tech and SA had enough balz though to tell me what happened. Had to order a new oil pan and all that, they next morning air mailed it (probably cost them 100 just in shipping). Thats the good thing about being a pain in the azz to the SA's and the techs, they know that they cant pull anything past you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes there are dealers that are good, and most of them seem to be independently owned not the chain dealership like auotnation.
this how bad it is, my brother is the sales manager at fremont bmw and i still get crappy mechanical service. they are familiar with the Ms. OH AND THEY THINK THEY AREA DOING US A FAVOR BECAUSE THE MAINTINANCE IS FREE.ouich:confused3:crying::crying2::confused2hmmm

the best service overall in the bgay area is CONCORD bmw, i have heard from too many people and they are one owner.

good luck finding a good service dealership beast masters

emperor :viking:

·
Registered
124 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
Andrew

THEY LIE THEY LIE THEY LIE...
the reason they are picking up the cost of your oil pan and your drain plug and gaskets is because the Master Tech did strip it..same thing happened to my car when they replaced the conrod bearings. Tech and SA had enough balz though to tell me what happened. Had to order a new oil pan and all that, they next morning air mailed it (probably cost them 100 just in shipping). Thats the good thing about being a pain in the azz to the SA's and the techs, they know that they cant pull anything past you.
Thanks for reply.....they know I am meticulous owner and I would discovered the problem eventually......I also I asked another tech that I know at the dealer the next day and he told me it was done the day I had it done......no balz in Maryland though....everything is nice nice in the state that can't make up its mind whether they are in the North or the South...... :biggrin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
HireM5 said:
Kensan,
Where do you take your beast in Chicago? I live in the Western Burbs and so far have been happy with Patrick.
Actually I don't have a beast, I have a 325i:( But it's a mini-beast:p I take it to perillo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts