BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Car feels a little lumpy occasionally when sitting at idle. Immediately after a few seconds of lumpyness its smooth again for 10-15 seconds then its lumpy again. The car runs fantastically and pulls very hard. These videos were taken with stock software.
The unevenness can best be heard at the very end of the second video.
COLD
YouTube - Cold S38 Startup B&B Exhaust

WARM
YouTube - Warm S38 Idle B&B exhaust

Thanks!

Nik

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think it's fine and that you are an M5 hypochondriac. Mine has the TMS chip and idles even rougher. You can feel the lumpy-ness inside the car :tonquesmilie: You have to remember that this car has a race engine and for it to pull hard at high rpms there has to be some intake/exhaust overlap which makes it idle like that.

BTW, I am in the Phoenix area too. Mines white. And what's up with your door interior? Does it come like that or did you re-upholster it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sitja. There is a long story about this car and my history with it. The interior was done about a year and a half ago.

Where are you located? Id love to check out your car in person and listen to it. Im arranging an e34 meet this Friday and it would be great to see you.

BTW, I normally run a TMS chip however I put the OE chip back in the other day prior to making this video. About an hour ago I put my TMS chip back in and the car runs smoother on the aftermarket chip.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm in the NW valley. What time is the meet and where? You can pm me with the info if you'd like.

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to come by and check out my car. Or we can meet somewhere. Let me know.

I haven't had the chance to see what the idle is like without the chip as i bought mine with the chip. I do feel that it is idling a little "rough" but like I said, i suspect it is the way the engine is built and am not concerned at all. I've just purchased it and am finishing up suspension work.

I'd love to see your interior? I almost purchased an e39 m5 that needed interior work but was in excellent shape otherwise. My door panels need some tlc as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine has the TMS chip and a b&B triflow as well. Mine used to idle exactly like that, with that putter...I thought i had a burned valve or something. Since i had a new head gasket done, the valves all ground and machined, and the head skimmed along with lots of other bits...It has been idling more like when i got it. But i think one of the main things was that my mechanic oiled up the throttle linkages..So it's kind of lumpy when cold but smoothens out more when warm. But overall, the shaky idle, like everyone on the board will say, is characteristic of the S38. I do need a new battery though, it cranks real slow and on cold nights the car will be starved for fuel when starting it. either way I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car has always been very well cared for and only has 84k miles. I think im just being paranoid. Ill take some additional videos of the car tomorrow with the TMS chip in it. It is smoother with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts