BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove my first M5 today. Wow! What a sweet ride. That motor is amazing. The dealer only had silver cars (3 of them) and they were priced too high ('01 with 28k miles and they would only come down to $54k, cpo'd).

Anyways, told him I was really looking for LM Blue and he said they stay away from these cars because the blue is known to fade and looks terrible.

Can any long time owners of LM Blue confirm or deny this statement.

I know, I know... how do you know when a car salesperson is lying? Their lips are moving.

Appreciate the help.

Jon

·
Registered
767 Posts
olis1 said:
I know, I know... how do you know when a car salesperson is lying? Their lips are moving.
Jon
You answered your own question. Leave it in the sun for 5 years and it will fade to a point that is noticeable next to a garaged one.

I could also make the silly statement (like your salesman) that the only reason they have silver cars on the lot is that owners of silvers cars realized how bad the color is and looked for blue versions! Equally wrong.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Jon,

Welcome to the board.

Some of the best looking beasts on the Board are LMB.

Check out Jasons, (Atomic80). Its a few years old and is in Perfect Condition.

Good to see salesman are consistant all over the world. :hihi:

Regards MJ

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that sounded weird. So salesman lye when their lips are moving on the other side of the equator too?

How's summer over there?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 02 LMB color and it doesn't fade. I kept it in the garage at night and give it a nice wash every 7-10 days. It is still as shinny as new. I think any color will not fade if you take good care of it.

If you park it on the street at night, all the moisture and dirty accumulating on your paint, no matter what the paint color is, it will fade out in couple yrs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an 2000 Avus Blue and i dont have a garage yet and my paint is as shiny as any Blue M5 ive seen. As long as you take care of the car, it will last. ANY color paint will fade in sunlight if you dont take care of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use to have a '95 Avus blue M3 before the '02 Lemans blue M5 arrived and the car was parked in the elements daily. I would wash it weekly and waxed it regularly without the paint fading beyond normal expectations for a 7 yr. old car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello all. My name is Mike and I'm new to the board.

Jon,
I have an 02 LeMans Blue (build 11/01) I purchased CPO in late 02. I don't have a garage I can park her in, but do what I can to keep her in the shade. I use Zaino products to keep her looking as nice as the day I brought her home. In the time I've owned her, I've seen no hint of fade or loss of color at all, and I'm very picky with the details.

Use good products to care for the finish and the leather and I think you'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Id say they do fade, but its not like most of the people on forums aer like Oh i just paid $50-80K for my bmw but i cant pay $100 evey 6 months to have some one wax it...

I do know that in 93-94 they made a merish (SP) blue color on the 325's that faded weather you waxed them or not.

Look on auto trader there are quite a few out there... matter of fact i looked at one yesterday on line.. blue on funky tan... 2002 model.. ill see if i can find you the link.

here you go

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/ida/vdetail.jsp?result_car_id=null&dealer_id=51863535&car_id=174931273

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kerr said:
Id say they do fade, but its not like most of the people on forums aer like Oh i just paid $50-80K for my bmw but i cant pay $100 evey 6 months to have some one wax it...

Kerr, this kind of posting is exactly what people are complaining about in the thread entitled "Chatroom jargon on the forum." Check it out. People on this board would prefer to read postings written in standard English rather than "teenspeak" with its misspellings [I'd, it's, are, I, BMW, can't, someone].

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I have a Lemans blue M5 too and as far as I can tell, I haven't seen any hints of paint fade but of course mine is parked indoors most of the time.

From what I understand, bright red paint is the most vulnerable to fading over time especially if exposed to the sunlight.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Quality posts are paramount, but I'm worried this is turning into a witch hunt...:nono: I dont mean to be rude, but it is slightly ironic when you forgot the [/QUOTE] tag in your post too. Let us just leave all of this to the moderators, and have some good discussions.
Any paint will fade given enough time and or neglect. The key to keeping paint in top condition is frequent washes, and good intervals on waxing. In your case it sounds like the salesman was trying to offload one of the silver cars.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Norgeiron Kerr said:
Nope . That's not teen speak, Just lazy typing with no " ' " in it, and a couple of Typo's :hihi:

It's not what they are talking about at all. :byebye:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I'm sure if you care for the paint, there should be no noticable deteriation in the colour although over extend periods of time I'm sure all paint finishes will fade somewhat. The attached pic was taken about a month ago and at the time my M5 was 22 months old and the X5 was picked up the night before.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts