BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get on the freeway, I find myself getting well over the speed limit while still in 4th. If I am just going to cruise with traffic, I'll jump to 6th for the gas economy. Since there is no more acceleration I need to get, upshifting to 5th doesn't seem to add anything. My question is does it hurt the transmission to skip 5th on the way up? Does it speed the wear on the synchro by skipping 5th?

Thanks

Dudley

·
Registered
564 Posts
I frequently skip shift if I am in no hurry i.e. 1st to 3rd to 6th or even 1st to 4th then 6th if I am going downhill. It is my opinion that you are saving the clutch with fewer shifts and get better gas mileage. That said, I am careful to match RPM's and I never "lug" the engine when accelerating in this manor...just alittle throttle and easy does it. As far as going form 4th to 6th, no problem. Of all of the gears, I use 5th the least.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Skip shifting doenst detract life from the tranny. Nothing to worry about at all. Heck, I used to start my old Triumph in 2nd and then skip shift to 4th. Less clutch engagements the less wear and tear there is on the throwout bearing, so there is some savings in a componet. Just make sure the RPM's are correct in whatever gear you want, and dont drag the RPM"s down with the clutch.
:cheers:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
No problems. The car has so much torque that I often shift from 1st to 3rd when pulling away - much smoother than 1st into 2nd.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Fourty years ago, most stick shift cars had a 3 speed manual. The extra gears in your tranny are there as a bonus...not to make shifting more laborous. There is no benefit or reason to row thru each gear in succession. You can skip whatever gears you want, so long as you don't lug the motor below 1200 RPM or so. I often use 1->3->5 or even 1->3->6. Some cars intentionally skip shift, if RPM's are high enough and throttle application is light. Many Corvettes jump from 1->4 when you're putzing around. A solenoid throws the shifter into the center gate when certain conditions are met. This improves efficiency.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
It only hurts if you hit your knuckles on something :blink: :hihi:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
In Corvettes, they actually do not have the option to engage all the gears in order, if they are not accellerating hard. All in the name of fuel economy, but no dowside to the tranny.

Mark

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
That's something I do all the time without thinking about it.. 1st to 3rd.. 2nd to 4th. Sometimes I don't want too much jerkiness off a turn so I put it into 3rd, but every once in a while I do find myself on the wrong side of 1500 RPMs. I hope I haven't hurt the engine too much.

·
Registered
897 Posts
MAH said:
In Corvettes, they actually do not have the option to engage all the gears in order, if they are not accellerating hard. All in the name of fuel economy, but no dowside to the tranny.

Mark
Yeah same thing with my old Z28 - 1st to 4th skip shift at low rpms. Very annoying.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since when M5 drivers are worried about fuel economy ? cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai

If you want fuel economy and void shifting buy 530d automatic :wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

I dont see any reason why you should skip some gears :confused: :confused: :confused:

M5 S62 engine likes and wants sport drive not too soft :wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

iMac drives like :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
On the Even Days of the month, I only use the even gears: 2nd, 4th and 6th

On the Odd days of the month I only use the odd gears: 1st, 3rd and 5th

:hihi:

And when the M5 is your daily driver, <i>sometimes</i> you actually do care about Fuel Economy! (sometimes = once a year or so)

:flag:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
louv said:
On the Even Days of the month, I only use the even gears: 2nd, 4th and 6th

On the Odd days of the month I only use the odd gears: 1st, 3rd and 5th
:hihi:
Did you hear about the authorities in Lagos (Nigeria) who came up with the idea of only letting even numbered cars (license plates) into the city on even days and odd numbered cars on odd days?! They thought that they would halve the number of vehicles in the city and therefore cut congestion.

The only problem was that everyone bought two cars; one odd and one even, which doubled parking problems overnight ouich

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
iMac said:
Since when M5 drivers are worried about fuel economy ? cherrsagai cherrsagai cherrsagai

If you want fuel economy and void shifting buy 530d automatic :wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

I dont see any reason why you should skip some gears :confused: :confused: :confused:

M5 S62 engine likes and wants sport drive not too soft :wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

iMac drives like :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:
I'm with you 100% :byee55amg

Obviously you can select any gear you like, your box doesn't care. The engine is tremendously flexible and puts up with a lot as well, but that's hardly the point IMO. BMW built a relatively close ratio 6 speed box and I use it, that's one of the pleasures of the M5. Yes you can short shift in terms of revs (ie change up early) and because the ratio's are sufficiently tight the engine will still be within it's wide 'power band'. That is for me lazy driving, changing up and missing a cog for me means you one minute you want to go quickly the next you want to cruise and not rev the engine, doesn't happen that often.

If the M5 had big holes in the gearing then I wouldn't of bought one, so In have no intention of driving it like it did ! :haha:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts