BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Is it covered under the Extended Maintenance Warranty?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the original Warranty Book anymore and I was wondering if anyone knew if the Extended Maintenance Warranty would cover a clutch change? :confused::confused::confused:
I've tryed to search bmwusa.com but the information is vague, but does state the following:
Your maintenance costs:

• Scheduled inspections: $0
  • Brake Pads: $0
  • Brake Rotors: $0
  • Engine Belts: $0
  • Oil Changes: $0
  • Wiper Blade Inserts: $0
  • Inspections: $0
  • Fluid Services: $0
I figuer since they cover brake pads (wear and tear item) they should cover the clutch as well, but when I called the dealer he said that it would not be covered under that warranty. Though the guy I talked to sounded kind of "fishy" as if he really was just trying to get me of the phone so that they don't have to do the work. :confused2:confused2:confused2:confused2

Is he telling me the truth or is he lying?????????
All your opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Thank You!!!
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
In a word...No

Don't think I've heard of but one change on "warranty" around here.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
BMW Extended Maintenance Plan literature does specifically include clutch (along with brake pads, rotors, external drive belts) but all are subject to the clause "due to normal wear and tear."

So the issue becomes not whether it should be covered, but whether your dealer will interpret it as required due to "normal wear and tear."

When I was contemplating adding this Plan, it was hinted to me that they would cover one clutch, over 30-40K on odo.

It's a fine line for them, b/c it's not as cut & dry as waiting for the wear sensor to trip on brakes to OK a job.

Related: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91843

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,
I've got 29,650mi on the clock and the car is going in on Thursday to have the cluster changed due to some pixels being out. May be I'll talk to the shop manager at that time and see what he thinks.

Chowdah,
do you have a copy of the actuall literature on the Extended Plan? As I would love to take it with me when I go so that I have some ammunition to fight with them if needed.
Thanks,
DS

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
BMW Extended Maintenance Plan literature does specifically include clutch (along with brake pads, rotors, external drive belts) but all are subject to the clause "due to normal wear and tear."

So the issue becomes not whether it should be covered, but whether your dealer will interpret it as required due to "normal wear and tear."

When I was contemplating adding this Plan, it was hinted to me that they would cover one clutch, over 30-40K on odo.

It's a fine line for them, b/c it's not as cut & dry as waiting for the wear sensor to trip on brakes to OK a job.

Related: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91843
+1

When I was contemplating purchasing the extended maintenance, my SA told me point blank that the clutch would be covered unless there was outright signs of abuse. Because of this (in part) I bought the plan. (As an aside, my extended maintenance is now expired and my original clutch is still going strong at 54K miles...:3:)

Basically, if your SA is on your side and fighting for you, it will be covered, but it is definitely not cut and dry.

Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot Chowday. This will greatly help.

I also spoke to a guy I know at the dealership, who gave me some tips on how to get one replaced for free. He said don't say "it's worn out", instead that it is "slipping when you shift from 2nd. to 3rd". Apparently they will not replace it if it is normal wear and tear (why I don't know), but that is how it is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is interesting!!! I'm just reading the file provided by "chowdah" and here is a quote:
"In addition, the replacement of THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ONLY due to normal wear and tear are also covered: Brake linings (pads) and rotores (both covered only when worn below limits as per BMW Technical Data Information); external drive belts; clutch; wiper blade inserts; any adjustmentments required due to normal operating conditions".

Also:

"Wear items such as brake pads and rotors, external engine drive belts, wiper blade inserts, clutch discs and adjustments will be covered"

I guess it only comes down to convicing them that I have not abused the clutch in any way, which may be a problem since the vehicle only has 29Kmi on it.

I guess we'll see how it goes on Thursday.

chowdah thanks again for the file, it's a great help.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The clutch is one of the most confusing items when it comes to replacement.

It is covered by the original warranty and the CPO in the event it BREAKS (ie mechanical failure). It is covered by the maintenance and extended maintenance in the event it WEARS OUT.

It is covered by NEITHER if they say it was abused.

The problem is that it is virtually impossible to distinguish between a clutch that has been abused and a worn out clutch that has slipped for a while.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts