BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe I've been lucky until now, but My M5 has has stuff replaced that I was starting to assume did't fail on BMW's. I've owned a 2000 540i, a 2004 X3, a 1986 e28 and a now a 2011 X3 for the wife. My 2010 M5 is the first BMW that I've had an alternator, thermostat and now a starter go bad on. Luckily I have an extended warranty on the M5. I've also only got 48K miles on the M5. My 540i was at 250K when I sold it and my wife's 2004 X3 was at 210K when someone totaled it. Even my 1992 911 didn't need an alternator, thermostat or starter, but it sure did need a lot of other stuff.
Are the parts less reliable because M cars are rarer and made in smaller quantities, or have I just been lucky until now?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't speak for the others, but consider yourself lucky that you didn't have a catastrophic failure on the X3 if you weren't doing regular cooling system work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't speak for the others, but consider yourself lucky that you didn't have a catastrophic failure on the X3 if you weren't doing regular cooling system work.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Have not had any of the items you listed replaced but a handful of others so I would say you have been fortunate so far. These cars do however need a little more maintenance than other BMW models.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Alternator, Battery, PLCD, fluids of course.... Probably some other minor things I cant remember. Spent about 4k the same year I purchased the vehicle. 2010 M5 as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

True, one thing I know about owning BMW's is just replace coolant tanks and houses at designated miles. I did it on the 04 and I've done it on the 11 already. I"m sure glad I got an extended warranty on the M5, honestly I've never purchased them and for the cars I've had they never would have paid off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alternator, Battery, PLCD, fluids of course.... Probably some other minor things I cant remember. Spent about 4k the same year I purchased the vehicle. 2010 M5 as well.
I should probably do my battery soon, have you found a cable and software that works on the 2010 for a battery reset?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
You are lucky, like I was. We had an original E60 M5 that was our test mule for EVERYTHING RPi makes. It had over 250 dyno miles on it, several track sessions, etc. At the end before we sold it a few months ago, it never had any issues, even with all the mods. I suggest buying lotto tickets.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
You are lucky, like I was. We had an original E60 M5 that was our test mule for EVERYTHING RPi makes. It had over 250 dyno miles on it, several track sessions, etc. At the end before we sold it a few months ago, it never had any issues, even with all the mods. I suggest buying lotto tickets.
So you or the buyer eventually got the car back as I heard it went missing for awhile.

·
Registered
184 Posts
No never had the need to look, I had my Indy do the programming. It wasn't until recently that I've been looking into obtaining cable/software/scanner...someone was selling an entire setup, laptop and all a couple of months back, wish I would have jumped on it.

I should probably do my battery soon, have you found a cable and software that works on the 2010 for a battery reset?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new starter seems to crank alot quicker and sounds different than the old one, so maybe it was going bad and then went out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts