BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I just wanted to reach out to the board to see if anyone is familiar with this particular car:

GodSpeed Motors Inc - 1991 BMW 5 Series M5 - Fort Mill, South Carolina

290,000 miles, but it looks like it has less than 50,000... obviously somebody's cherished and loved daily driver. I checked to see if it's on the M Registry, but it isn't. Just wondering if anyone here knows who owned this car, and might be able to give me some idea as to its history and current state.

If the car is solid, I'll fly across the country to go get it and drive it home. :M5launch:

The miles don't scare me as long as there's a good history to it. That car was loved by its previous owners - that much is very evident in the photos.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Holy smokes thats a lot of miles but I love to see an s38 with that many miles. If almost 300,000 miles on the original engine don't scare you then nothing will. If it's got a good history with lots of receipts then go for it. Looks clean though, price is a bit high in my opinion because of the miles but regardless surely worth checking out. Good luck on your search.

C

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy smokes thats a lot of miles but I love to see an s38 with that many miles. If almost 300,000 miles on the original engine don't scare you then nothing will. If it's got a good history with lots of receipts then go for it. Looks clean though, price is a bit high in my opinion because of the miles but regardless surely worth checking out. Good luck on your search.

C
Thanks - but I really highly doubt that thing has the original engine. Given how many threads I've read about S38s blowing up, I'd actually hedge that the car has had a full rebuild by now - hence why I'm interested. It looks darn clean for the number of miles on it... I'll make a few phone calls tomorrow morning and report back on my findings...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't count it having a rebuilt engine. For as many horror stories there are just as many turning 250K plus on the original engine. Ask me how I know.

C. Chase
'91 M5

·
Registered
497 Posts
So....how do you know:):):):):)

·
Registered
51 Posts
There was a high mileage E34 for sale at a BMW dealership in Atlanta two years ago that looked just like this one....same color combo, incredible cosmetic shape, and throwing stars on backwards.
I emailed back and forth a few times with the dealer, even talked to a guy that had gone to look at it. Ended up finding a car with 65,000 fewer miles at a cheaper price.
Car didn't have records but I was told the previous owner still had them and was willing to share them. Seem to recall the AC didn't work, and that the engine had not been rebuilt. No idea if this is the same car, but find it hard to imagine one so similar so close in proximity.

·
10,458 Posts
i think i just saw a thread on bimmerforums about this car last week. Looks nice, price is high unless documents for major engine work. Could very well be original, and ready for a rebuild.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to mislead anyone and make it appear that I know the car in question. What I meant is my car is on the original everything and has well over 200K on it.

R,

C. Chase

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was contemplating that car, but I found one with 100,000 less miles and a was a Euro import for roughly the same price.

This one looks very nice though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts