BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

I ran accross this link it looks very promissing to work on my 02 beast... can anyone verify this...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+cPath+9_188_190+products_id+2191+RCsid+55a4e8e31ba9d5998e13a715d92f267e

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR height=30><TD class=pageHeading>Soundlinx: BMW E39 to Alpine 6 CD/MP3 Changer (boot fitment interface)</TD><TD class=pageHeading align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><!-- Real TSP mod: changed separator to black and 1 pixel --><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main><!-- start outer table --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><!-- start price, features, description cell --><TD class=main vAlign=top><!-- Real TSP mod: different layout and fields -->Product Code: SOUNDLINX-BMW01ALP-02ALP-CHA-S634

Our Price: <S>£224.99</S> £199.99

<INPUT title=\" In Shopping Basket \" type=image alt=\"In Shopping Basket\" src="http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/images/buttons/button_in_cart.gif" border=0>

<!-- Real TSP mod: separate product features -->Product Features

  • This package consists of Alpine CHA-S634 6-disc CD/MP3 autochanger with 2 x interfaces that connects the CD Changer to a BMW 5 Series (E39 - New Shape) 1998 onwards with a BMW Business radio. It plugs in at the pre-installed lead (in the boot)
<!-- start product description table -->Product Description

<!-- product description -->For more detailed specification, click on related products
When ordering, please provide details of make, model and year of car in the

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>


Thanks,
Bobby
02 Beast...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Re: Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

This is true - BUT - will aparently NOT work with cars equipped with DSP... only with standard or Hi-Fi systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Re: Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

With the DSP system (like I have on my 2001 M5), I used the Soundgate system to create an aux stereo input. You need two parts from Soundgate:

"BMWDSP" and "AUX3".

You install a small switch up front somewhere, and when the stereo is in "CD" mode the switch will toggle between the factory CD changer and the aux input. Works very well, sound quality is pretty good. All the DSP functions work to affect the aux input as well.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Re: Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

Osodog said:
With the BlitzSafe adapter I have, you just go to the CD changer, then click the track forward button, then the track backward button to get to CD 1-99 which is the AUX MP3 player. No MP3 tag info though :(
I'm curious, while listening to your AUX input on the BlitzSafe adapter, if you push one of the numbered buttons on the stereo does it then switch back to the CD changer (playing the CD associated with that button)?

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
Re: Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

Unfortunately no. I have to use the buttons on the player but I tend to just let it play random tracks since I have a ton of music on the 20GB drive. I set the volume level of the MP3 player to about 95% then adjust the volume as I wish using the stereo volume controls. I think Denion has a product called Icelink Plus that allows for the control and display of info for an iPod.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Re: Is this true??? I can listen to my MP3s...

Osodog said:
Unfortunately no. I have to use the buttons on the player but I tend to just let it play random tracks since I have a ton of music on the 20GB drive. I set the volume level of the MP3 player to about 95% then adjust the volume as I wish using the stereo volume controls. I think Denion has a product called Icelink Plus that allows for the control and display of info for an iPod.
So, if you are listening to the MP3 player and push button 1-6 on your stereo - it switches from the MP3 back to the car's CD changer?

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
pkarmouche said:
With the DSP system (like I have on my 2001 M5), I used the Soundgate system to create an aux stereo input. You need two parts from Soundgate:

"BMWDSP" and "AUX3".

You install a small switch up front somewhere, and when the stereo is in "CD" mode the switch will toggle between the factory CD changer and the aux input. Works very well, sound quality is pretty good. All the DSP functions work to affect the aux input as well.

Paul
That's exactly what I need, but when I tried to find a website that could confirm having the AUX3 or SDSBMWDSP (a kit that contains BMWDSP and AUX3) in stock right now, all I found were sold out items and websites with no notion of inventory that are likely sold out as well. Did Soundgate stop making these? Does anyone else make an equivalent product in that price range (around $200 or less total)?

One more question: When switched to the aux input will the changer keep on playing CDs, or does it get a signal to stop? It would put extra wear on it for no reason if it kept playing.

- Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
DaveK said:
That's exactly what I need, but when I tried to find a website that could confirm having the AUX3 or SDSBMWDSP (a kit that contains BMWDSP and AUX3) in stock right now, all I found were sold out items and websites with no notion of inventory that are likely sold out as well. Did Soundgate stop making these? Does anyone else make an equivalent product in that price range (around $200 or less total)?

One more question: When switched to the aux input will the changer keep on playing CDs, or does it get a signal to stop? It would put extra wear on it for no reason if it kept playing.

- Dave
You could call Soundgate directly. I called them to discuss compatibility and to be sure it would work with my setup. www.soundgate.com - there is also a dealer locater there.

I bought mine from a local car stereo shop, "Tim Stone Audio" (707) 575-0177. It took him about two weeks to get the units in stock.

To answer your other question: Yes, the changer keeps on "playing" CD's silently in the trunk while the "AUX" audio is redirected. That is, of course, only if you leave CD's loaded. Since all my CD's are digitized on the PC I have connected I just leave the changer empty and therefore it's not doing anything.

If you want to leave CD's loaded, I wouldn't worry about the wear - it shouldn't be a big problem. Come to think of it though, if you are concerned you could rig up a simple relay which would cut power from the changer while you are in "AUX" mode. PM me if you'd like info on how to do this.

Good luck,

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
DaveK said:
That's exactly what I need, but when I tried to find a website that could confirm having the AUX3 or SDSBMWDSP (a kit that contains BMWDSP and AUX3) in stock right now, all I found were sold out items and websites with no notion of inventory that are likely sold out as well. Did Soundgate stop making these? Does anyone else make an equivalent product in that price range (around $200 or less total)?

One more question: When switched to the aux input will the changer keep on playing CDs, or does it get a signal to stop? It would put extra wear on it for no reason if it kept playing.

- Dave
We have a DSP kit that will work for you, the same kit is used on our ice>Link Plus kits as well. Also - what year is your M5?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top