BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the M5 out for a drive today for the first time in about 6 weeks, and upon startup I noticed an abnormal knocking sound which I presumed was a sticky lifter. I was at first hesitant to drive the car, but then decided to take my chances and see if it would go away once it warmed up a bit. Thankfully the noise eventually stopped and it confirmed my suspicion that it was a sticky lifter.

Is a sticky lifter something that needs to be addressed on these engines, or can it be left as-is and just started more frequently? The oil was changed about 18 months/1,000 miles ago, but given the sticky lifter should I go ahead and change the oil again?

Aside from the lifter the car ran incredibly well. It doesn't get to see the road too much anymore, but when it does I make sure to properly warm it up before some nice second and third gear runs. I usually shift around 5,000-5500 in an effort to preserve the engine, but even with the early shifting each drive in the M5 reminds me as to why it is one of the best cars ever made.:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
afaik oil should be changed every year at minimum, regardless of miles.

these motors if you let them sit will have noisey lifters, i believe the manual states to hold the revs at 2k,2500,4500 for a few minutes and it should address the noise. every S62 i have had, that has sat for an extended period of time has had the noise.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I asked about this in the past. The two recommendations if I recall correctly are to 1) drive the car for a few mins in the higher rpm range (or give it some high sustained revs) or 2) try Sea Foam.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Let the engine warm up,then hold for 2 minutes at 3k rpm.

My engine had last week after being disassembled for 7 months also badly lifter noise.

Also after the oil is warm driving it hard bleeds the lifters...

Forget sea foam...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts