BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so one of the little daily pleasures I experience in my Beast is when I take my boys to daycare each morning. There are two, 2-1/2 mile stretches of sheer motoring heaven along the route, and both roughly follow the meandering path of the Colorado River in Austin, with hundreds of feet of elevation changes. One goes downhill from where we live and the other traces uphill to where the boys’ school is located.

The second stretch begins and ends at a traffic signal. If I’m lucky, I’m the first one to get caught with a yellow/red light, and I wait patiently while the road ahead of me clears out. Now I should note that this is the very same stretch of road where I got LIDAR’ed for 69/45 a few months ago, so I know now I’d better slow down after the twisty part.

Today at the light, there are three cars ahead of me in the right-hand lane. At this intersection, all the folks in the left-hand lane typically end up turning. That would allow the left lane to empty, and thereby opens up my highway to heaven. Well, the left lane indeed clears out, but the twit in a 325i ahead of me dashes over into the left lane in front of me (without a turn signal) and then proceeds along at a snail’s pace.

I should admit here that this is one of my pet peeves: the passing lane is for PASSING. If you’re going to occupy the left lane, then make your pass and return to the right. Simple Lane Discipline, correct?! Most Americans deem it their God-given right to occupy the left lane irrespective of their intention to pass, it seems to me…. But I digress.

So anyways, it takes me a little longer to gain access to my beloved twisties, but I ultimately do, and enjoy my minute or so of M5 bliss. It’s way better than coffee! Then the road straightens out, and I ratchet back to the posted limit. Well, I can see the 325i now catching up behind me, growing rapidly in my rearview mirror. I’m in the right lane, as is he, when my V1’s LASER alert begins its shrill song. No need to adjust for me, as I’m within 3-4 MPH of the posted limit.

That’s when I see the scooter cop on his Hog perched on a side street, securing the LIDAR unit and preparing for pursuit. Even though I was traveling very near the limit, it still gave me a momentary pucker—wondering if he was going to loop around the 325i and apprehend me. He didn’t. He nabbed the poor fellow behind.

Oh well. Now I’m not one to wish the long arm of the revenuers on anyone, but if someone’s gonna get it, I’d prefer it not be me. And if you’re a no-signal-usin’ left-lane bandit, then it may as well be you!

Drive safe out there. I really gotta get around to installing my LE-30…..

-Dave

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Me too. It's been sitting in the box for months.
Good story.

·
Registered
255 Posts
great story!
the next time the 325i thinking about takin the M5. He/she should think whats under the hood before even trying.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That makes three.

Mine's still sitting in the box too.

·
10,456 Posts
that's it, i've gotta install mine this weekend...
Mike

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Dave,

It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending--really enjoyed it. And look at all the members you've inspired to do their installs!!

I swear I should hire you to write up my stories for me! :biggrin: Until I got on this site, I rarely wrote at all--too impatient and lazy, I guess. And I miss all the cues you get dealing face to face with folks. Sometimes I feel like I'm p*ssing in the wind when I post or even email people--BUT NOW I DIGRESS :1:

Keep enjoying your "driveway"!

Anita

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Dave,

Nice story. I had a similar experience last week, except I was in my RUF, a certifed cop-magnet.

I was in the left lane following an SUV, at about 80 MPH (posted speed limit of 75). A white Pontiac behind me decided that she'd pass us all. So she scooted right and accelerated. Right when we were evn, I looked over, and saw a motorcycle-cop on the right shoulder with is radar gun out. I let the Pontiac pass and slipped behind her, now in the middle lane.

Sure enough, less than a minute later, the cop showed up on my left mirror. I was sweating, not knowing he's after my certified cop-magnet, or the white Pontiac. Luckily, he sped right past me, slipped behind the Pontiac, and flashed his light. So there is a God afterall. :)

Stay safe and enjoy.

CP

·
Registered
68 Posts
To the Bay Area guys,

Is there a lot of laser going on down there? I'm 300 miles north and Ka band dominates. Further north there is an occasional K or X band as well. I do frequent the Bay Area and am concerned about laser. My 00 M5 may be my daily driver for 6-8 more years (about 150,000 miles plus). Do you think it would be worth Lidatek? If so, is it easy to transfer from one car to another? Any input would be appreciated.

Gordon

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: A digression on a digression...

Anita said:
Until I got on this site, I rarely wrote at all--too impatient and lazy, I guess. And I miss all the cues you get dealing face to face with folks. Sometimes I feel like I'm p*ssing in the wind when I post or even email people--BUT NOW I DIGRESS :1:

Keep enjoying your "driveway"!
I never would have guessed you were dusting off your writing chops, Anita! I get a kick any time I read your posts.

You know what, you made me think about another reason why I like this virtual gathering place so much. There's the loads of good, first-hand user information, great technical advice, and endlessly helpful people. There's the civility and lack of snobbishness (methinks my English teacher would smack me about now), and effective self-regulation.

But there's also a bunch of good (and often funny) writing going on. I find myself clicking on some folks' posts not because I'm curious or can offer insight, but because I know I'm likely to enjoy what they have to say, and I'll probably get a good laugh out of it.

And yes, while I'm continuing to enjoy my extended 'driveway,' I am in need of a track fix in a bad way: I've not seen track time since Mid-Ohio last summer. I gotta get hooked up with some Central Texas track junkies....

-Dave

·
Registered
590 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
And if you’re a no-signal-usin’ left-lane bandit, then it may as well be you!
Great story Dave. I love it when it ends like that. :M5thumbs: The only think that's worse are tailgaters.

Joe

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gordon,

My own personal experience in the Bay Area is that there is little or no use of laser by CHP or local city & county law enforcement. I get more false laser readings from LED tail lights and LED billboards than an actual real laser gun. I have NEVER received a real laser alert on my V1 in the 8 plus years of owning my V1. Laser is just too expensive for local authorities to purchase and use.

I have to admit that I don't go down to the So. Bay (Silicon Valley) much, but I would hazard a guess that there's very little or no usage there as well. Maybe someone from the So. Bay can chime in and confirm this.

Save your money and keep your eyes open and your V1 on.

Joe

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
I should admit here that this is one of my pet peeves: the passing lane is for PASSING. If you’re going to occupy the left lane, then make your pass and return to the right. Simple Lane Discipline, correct?! Most Americans deem it their God-given right to occupy the left lane irrespective of their intention to pass, it seems to me…. But I digress.
Not just Americans my friend, its a major problem here too! I just dont understand why people do that?

I guess one of the reasons may be is that they are not bothered in repetitive overtaking, so they justdrive on the left!

Usually, they all simply just get outta the way when they see this :M5eyes: coming!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Bay area lidar/radar-
I drive I280 daily on the peninsula and have frequently found CHP using Ka band-both cruising and parked out of site on downhill on ramps painting traffic-both day and night. Also not all the CHPs I see are using their radar, so I still keep at watchful eye. I have not had any lidar hits yet.

I have a 2003 V1 mounted on the passenger visor. The arrows are immensely helpful!
P

·
10,456 Posts
I had said this same thing about a month ago, then was lasered while approaching a stop light. V1 went off, cop standing next to his motorcycle, i was slowing for a light, so was not speeding. This was in concord (east bay). I bought a lidatek the next day, just need to install it.
Mike

Joe H said:
Gordon,

My own personal experience in the Bay Area is that there is little or no use of laser by CHP or local city & county law enforcement. I get more false laser readings from LED tail lights and LED billboards than an actual real laser gun. I have NEVER received a real laser alert on my V1 in the 8 plus years of owning my V1. Laser is just too expensive for local authorities to purchase and use.

I have to admit that I don't go down to the So. Bay (Silicon Valley) much, but I would hazard a guess that there's very little or no usage there as well. Maybe someone from the So. Bay can chime in and confirm this.

Save your money and keep your eyes open and your V1 on.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Feel free to correct me, but it seems like most laser is used in-town (meaning off of the highways). I guess this may make sense given the relative precision needed to sight a license plate. I usually keep it pretty sedate driving in town. I just purchased my V1 about a month ago and hard wired it in. I'll have to keep track of how many laser hits I get. Sounds like laser is inevitable.

Gordon

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Teutonaddict said:
And if you’re a no-signal-usin’ left-lane bandit, then it may as well be you!

Drive safe out there. I really gotta get around to installing my LE-30…..

-Dave
hiha Its the same here, only they hog the right hand lane.

Then when you pass them on the left, they give YOU the stink eye as if to say they are doing the speed limit and they have every right to take up the Fast lane.

I have even heard people skyte how they do it deliberately becasue they pay there registration and they are entitled to drive on the road in whatever lane they want. :mad:

I said to this clown, The Right lane (In OZ, left in USA) is for Over taking and EMEGENCY Vehicles.

I hope one day that one of your family members does not die on the way to hospital because some selfish A$$HOLE like yourself was holding up the emergency lane, because he was trying to get value from his rego money. :byee55amg

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Purkinjie said:
Feel free to correct me, but it seems like most laser is used in-town (meaning off of the highways). I guess this may make sense given the relative precision needed to sight a license plate....
Sounds like laser is inevitable.
I think you're correct on both counts, Gordon: (1) I've found LASER used more frequently in metro areas, and (2) I do believe it's inevitable that it becomes a routine threat.

And to the earlier comment that LASER is cost-prohibitive relative to RADAR (LIDAR guns are roughly 10X the cost of Ka-band RADAR), well, that would be the case in a fair fight. Unfortunately, current revenue-generation priorities ensure that it's anything BUT a fair fight.

In the US, we have an auto insurance company that actually subsidizes the purchase of LIDAR guns for state and local speed enforcement. They're called "GEICO guns," and I think they suck! But that also means that even under-funded hamlets can start to generate ticket revenue for themselves--and wouldn't you know, for the insurance companies too, in the form of higher premiums. How convenient....

-Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts