BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
:eek:h:

Wow....I have seen a few of those but that seriously makes me afraid to drive. Some drivers are just on a completely different planet sometimes. Some of those crashes are horrible....

@2:20
@2:30 (pedestrian!)
@4:42
@4:52
@6:00 (UNBELIEVABLE)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The M5 was close to those situations at least twice. One was that guy confused the "turn left only" green light with the general green light and rammed into the minivan in front of it. The thing is that I was where the minivan was but decided to change lanes (to the far right) at the last second.

Another one was that a car thought that I was gonna run a yellow light so it got right behind me. But I wasn't gonna run it and the guy was coming fast, so I ran the yellow (and briefly the red one) to save my ***. I then opened my sunroof, flipped the guy off, and drove away.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
wow...the one at 6:00 is like faces of ***** video...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Gotta love the one busted by the Sheriff!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The M5 was close to those situations at least twice. One was that guy confused the "turn left only" green light with the general green light and rammed into the minivan in front of it. The thing is that I was where the minivan was but decided to change lanes (to the far right) at the last second.

Another one was that a car thought that I was gonna run a yellow light so it got right behind me. But I wasn't gonna run it and the guy was coming fast, so I ran the yellow (and briefly the red one) to save my ***. I then opened my sunroof, flipped the guy off, and drove away.
Had something similar happen. Approached an intersection that had turned yellow, had I off pushed down on the gas I could have made it. While sitting at the light, I hear tires screech and I look in my rear view and I see a current generation X5 coming at me at what looks like 60 mph. I thought to myself that "oh this is going to hurt". Luckily he stopped and I was happy. Happy until I could see him swearing and flicking me off in my rear view mirror.

The real scary thing is that I live relatively close to at least two of these intersections (Oxnard and Westminster). Westminster is reputed to have some of the worst driver ever there and I try to avoid it as much as possible.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The other night I had a little bit of a close call. There's a stop light that I go through on my way back home from a friend's place a lot. On my way home, usually if it's a fresh yellow I'll go for it, but there's some road construction going on right now so you have to change into the parking lane right after the light and I don't like doing it super quickly since there are a couple steel plates on the road.

So, I decided to slow down right as the light turned yellow instead of going through the yellow... As I'm almost to the stop line, an E90 with an idiot driving south (I'm driving east) turns left through the red. If I had gone for the yellow, I would have been t-boned. I was driving my Honda too, and I doubt it would have kept me as safe as my M5.

A few years ago I attended a weekend traffic safety class. One of the instructors said that when anyone else is on the road, it is best to believe that their purpose while they are driving is to kill you, and to pay attention to them accordingly. I drive about 25,000 miles per year, and, well... in my experience, it's true.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What strikes me the most is that most of these drivers aren't slowing down... you rarely see actual brake lights coming on. That's scary. Drunk? Asleep? Dead at the wheel? Just plain stupid?

And people say we don't need red-light cameras...

·
Registered
593 Posts
..and you wonder why people drive 'smart cars'...straight suicide.

Vic

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
..and you wonder why people drive 'smart cars'...straight suicide.

Vic
Not everyone can afford a BMW.

My accident that totalled my first E39 M5 was just like one of those. Moron turned left on his red right in front of me on my green. I think he was talking on the phone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
What strikes me the most is that most of these drivers aren't slowing down... you rarely see actual brake lights coming on. That's scary. Drunk? Asleep? Dead at the wheel? Just plain stupid?

And people say we don't need red-light cameras...
In my experience they are texting or on the phone. I would love to have a phone blocker at some point but the fools would just be busy trying to redial the call thier phone just dropped.

Re: red light camara's- Looks like all they do is provide footage for these videos and fill local coffers. They make as much sense as speed/radar cameras.

dj

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had a really scary moment a few weeks ago... There's a busy 4-lane road I need to cross when picking my kid up from daycare. ..so I'm waiting for my green light and generally trust that when I have green I can just drive through, as you do. Now, this crossing road is not very busy, and I usually am first in line. This time there was luckily someone in front of me and when the lights turned green, he was not going anywhere for about 5 secs, just about the time when I would have been in the middle of the main road... at that instant, someone blasted through at at least 60mph, running about 10 seconds worth of red light. Would have been most likely fatal as that would have t-boned my door.

If I hadn't had my kid with me, I would have gone after him/her and #"½#"% that ****er.

·
Registered
933 Posts
1) At least 1/2 of these f&ckers are drunk and/or using the telephone,
2) When I'm first at a green, I wait and STILL look both ways as I'm entering the intersection, and
3) I would love to have a little Vespa to tool around on from time to time, but I can't because of all these f%ckers on the road.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Had my own little scare this past summer on a road trip with some friends. I wasn't in my M, I was in a jeep but it's important to pay attention of what's going on around you at all times.

Warning, there's some profanity, I was pretty excited from almost getting rear ended by a truck carrying port o potties lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRJK6wBx77s

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have some titanium in my shoulder from the driver of a Chevy Tahoe running a red light on Thanksgiving of 2001. He had his infant in the car but on the far side from the impact which was good since the bumper of my Jeep reached about two feet into the rear seat. 100% his fault but I was the only one who got hurt.
My boy is 5 weeks now and it terrifies me to think of the idiots out there and I definitely enter intersections carefully.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts