BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Crazy video. I've never seen a dyno run done where they haven't secured the front of the car. I wonder who thought of that?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Crazy video. I've never seen a dyno run done where they haven't secured the front of the car. I wonder who thought of that?
I don't want to dyno w/ you anymore :7::shakemitkopf::wow:

Reactions: VacMan

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

secure the front? I suppose on an all-wheel drive dyno. The goal is to get maximum traction and resist forward motion.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
secure the front? I suppose on an all-wheel drive dyno. The goal is to get maximum traction and resist forward motion.
What? I've had many cars dyno'd since back in my Mustang days and I've never, ever seen them only secure one end of the car on a dyno. What happens if the dyno seizes or a rear strap lets go and the rear wheels are spinning at 120mph?

Here's a pic of my E34 touring with an S50 swap being dyno'd. Not the best but you can clearly see the wheel chocks and criss-crossed tiedowns in the front of the car. I'd never let someone dyno my car without securing it on both ends.

Reactions: blackxs and M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
VERY important to secure both front and rear, regardless of vehicle drivetrain. Why wouldn't you. Both from the car owner and dyno owner's perspectives. You don't want that liability on your hands.

Reactions: blackxs

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
What? I've had many cars dyno'd since back in my Mustang days and I've never, ever seen them only secure one end of the car on a dyno. What happens if the dyno seizes or a rear strap lets go and the rear wheels are spinning at 120mph?

Here's a pic of my E34 touring with an S50 swap being dyno'd. Not the best but you can clearly see the wheel chocks and criss-crossed tiedowns in the front of the car. I'd never let someone dyno my car without securing it on both ends.

ahh. i misunderstood. i always chock the front wheel when I operate the dyno.

but for what it's worth, even if the wheels are @ 120mph, that old brit Newton says it will be pretttttty difficult to make that car move forward very far unless you really stay in the throttle.

the issue in that video is the all-wheel drive setup and lack of front restraints.

pro tip: sink your dynos in to the ground, use something small like a dyno dynamics setup, or dynapaks.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
ahh. i misunderstood. i always chock the front wheel when I operate the dyno.

but for what it's worth, even if the wheels are @ 120mph, that old brit Newton says it will be pretttttty difficult to make that car move forward very far unless you really stay in the throttle.

the issue in that video is the all-wheel drive setup and lack of front restraints.

pro tip: sink your dynos in to the ground, use something small like a dyno dynamics setup, or dynapaks.

Dynojets are smaller than both of those :D

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
inertial dynos suck.

Yours Truly,
me

:)

p.s. i'm pretty sure you mean their 248x or other eddy-current brake dyno.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
sorry, i meant their "LC" types. not 248x...

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
inertial dynos suck.

Yours Truly,
me

:)

p.s. i'm pretty sure you mean their 248x or other eddy-current brake dyno.

They're much much much more accurate for WHP #'s than anything else. No discussion there. They are also (now) impossible to cheat with.
The problem is when you want to load tune. Fortunately they can now be had with load cells. This way you get all the benefit of an eddy current machine with the accuracy of an inertia dyno.

Yours Truly,

Me

:15:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Are they really accurate? I know they tend to be precise from machine to machine. I haven't actually done any comparisons or devised a way to tell, nor would I care to verify the components and the math behind their calculations. I know the faults of other machines lie with their operator-allowed adjustability/calibration. The only use for inertial dyno is man-bits measurement and enforcement of HP rules in racing.

I love the dyno dynamics setup i have operated (only load tuning) with the exception of not being able to set data-record trigger - i have made some UGLY graphs. Tuning for a good hour w/o clearing the screen:

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Are they really accurate? I know they tend to be precise from machine to machine. I haven't actually done any comparisons or devised a way to tell, nor would I care to verify the components and the math behind their calculations. I know the faults of other machines lie with their operator-allowed adjustability/calibration. The only use for inertial dyno is man-bits measurement and enforcement of HP rules in racing.

I love the dyno dynamics setup i have operated (only load tuning) with the exception of not being able to set data-record trigger - i have made some UGLY graphs. Tuning for a good hour w/o clearing the screen:

1/4mi times dont lie (assuming we're talking about pro drivers). The LC models from DJ can do load tuning just the same as Mustang, Dynapak, Dyno Dynamics, etc.. and you can get the real WHP (not in LC mode, obv) once you're done. The other advantage they have is the runfile viewer so you can compare graphs any/everywhere and correct for differences in smoothing/hp standards used. The only thing they're missing is the 1/4mi mode (which they're working on, according to their reps at the PRI show).

·
Registered
901 Posts
WOOHOO,that was scary looking.I have seen a whole bunch of people run on a Dynometer and I have never yet seen a car not strapped down at both ends.An example of where I as the owner of the car would not let the Dyno be performed and run ,actually drive,like hell away.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
1/4mi times dont lie (assuming we're talking about pro drivers). The LC models from DJ can do load tuning just the same as Mustang, Dynapak, Dyno Dynamics, etc.. and you can get the real WHP (not in LC mode, obv) once you're done. The other advantage they have is the runfile viewer so you can compare graphs any/everywhere and correct for differences in smoothing/hp standards used. The only thing they're missing is the 1/4mi mode (which they're working on, according to their reps at the PRI show).
I haven't had the chance to mess with the LC models, i was aware of their loading capabilities. how do you start data recording? button or a configurable trigger?

I feel like 1/4mi. mode on a dyno is just a gimmick that adds scary-to-me stress to the strapping system as it's loaded and unloaded rapidly during shifts.

jealous that you're in FL with close access to PRI. i went in 2005 - best aftermarket auto industry show in the states.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

This graph seriously made me lmfao

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts