BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Do you think M6 is worth the money?

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  cobradav 
#1 ·
the official MSRP isnt out yet for Canada. but i am thinking to take my deposit back. with the MSRP of the M5 at CAD$120k ish, i am guessing the M6 will be around $150k~$160k looking at the price ratios of M5 to M6 in other countries.

at this price range, i am not sure anymore if the car is worth the money. i can easily pay a little more for a used 360 modena or the new Aston Martin V8 vantage, both of which are a lot more exclusive and rare. my dealer also have a 2002 used Z8 for $149k with only 16k kms on it.

looking at my 645 and thinking i need to pay 1/2 as much for more power and handling is making less and less sense to me everyday, considering the 645 is "almost" enough power for me to drive around town, and comfortably.

what are you guys' opinion? right now, i have deposit on both the M5, M6 and M6cab. i can get the first batch that arrives, but should i look else where? i am also looking at the CLS55 right now which i dont need to wait another 6 months.

#2 ·
Very subjective decision. I also have a 645 in Toronto and a deposit on the M6. I am going to go with it because I've never had a V10, and for me it will be an experience to have one. I like the 6 stying also.
Its no bargain, but at this price point its purely about what you like.

#3 · (Edited)
No it's not a bargain but it's a character for fans of ///M and BMW.If you are not a Bimmer freak you got lots of other options as you said.By the way 150 grand(guess)for a V10 engined coupe with 507HP is not a rip off either.I think it just has its cost but for exclusivity you're right about Z8 ,360 and Vantange.
Just my opinion...

#4 ·
Aric said:
the official MSRP isnt out yet for Canada. but i am thinking to take my deposit back. with the MSRP of the M5 at CAD$120k ish, i am guessing the M6 will be around $150k~$160k looking at the price ratios of M5 to M6 in other countries.
I don't know if the M6 coupe will be quite that high, I was thinking like it would be around $140 ish. I am not sure if the M6 will have quite the same demand as the M5 and I have also heard that the 6 series is not doing that well in Canada. Regardless, at that price point, some other choices definitetly enter the radar screen. My dealer has my name on both so as the next few months pass, I shall make a decision sooner or later.

#5 ·
I think the discussion has pretty much summed it up. At the price range of the M6, it really comes down to whether you "have the passion" for the M6 or not. If you think the styling and a coupe/convertible suits your taste but am not sure about the price, the 645Ci and the upcoming 650i can perhaps well do.

I am convinced it is a better car than say the DB9, Continental GT, any Benz coupe (CL and CLK predictable as they are), which is the segment it belongs in to compete. The 645Ci drives wonderfully.

#6 ·
At $140K canadian that puts the M6 at about $112,000 US. I think that would be a little high. I expect the M6 here in the states to be sub $100K, more like $95,000 U.S. but I could be wrong (I hope not!!). Throw on some options without going crazy and you're in the $105,000 - $110,000. range with no tax. The nicely loaded 645 that I purchased was like $82,000 and a premium of more than $25,000 for the M6 wouldn't make sense in this market in my opinion.

Compare that to a CL55 with a U.S. base price of $120,720 or the SL55 at $124,020 and the M6 seems like a bargain if my pricing holds up. Here in Southern California I see many SL & CL 55's so the expected exclusivity factor for the M6 will probably be much better.

The 360 is the "old" model and a completely different beast and as such, I do not think that is a good comparison to the M6. Compare it with a new 430, like the M6 will be new, and it begins to change the math. The Aston Martin V8 is a lesser car than the V10 Bimmer in my view, although it will be more exclusive I agree.

Just some thoughts of mine. At any rate, any of these cars will be great to own that's for sure. Good luck with your decision.

#7 ·
The discussion to date on this post pretty well sums up my thoughts save and except the final decision on the M6. I have had a deposit on the M6 as soon as I was aware that the vehicle was going to be available. However some thoughts and issues over the past few weeks:

Price Point:

I am being told by some fairly well connected people in BMW that the Canadian price for the car with full leather etc will be at the top end of 150 plus. This makes the car almost 60 K more then the 645. The 645 I have is a great car and I have just turned 10k on it and it is a wonderful car. So I am not sure the additional dollars and the additional car that we will get for our money will be worth it. Further more if the value for the M6 does not hold we will see a free fall on resale, which is a factor for me as I normally, do not keep my car for more then 2 years.

AMV8:

After some research I went and put down a deposit on the AMV8. In talking to the local dealer there are 10 – 12 cars coming to BC and he has 20 – 22 deposit , So if I choose to proceed with the car I will not get my hands on it till the 2007 model year. Very likely it will come in at 140 – 150,000. The local dealer will have 3 cars in the Vancouver area to touch and feel in Sept of this year, a DB9 convertible and 2 am V8’S.

Given the price point, I am seriously going to look at canceling my deposit on the M6 and wait for the AMv8. The downside is the AMv8 will only be available in a 6 speed.

Others:

I have owned an SL 55 and a CL 500 both nice cars but the 645 is a better more particle daily driving car. For me I do not want to have a car that is a garage car but one that I can drive daily. So I am not sure but more then likely I will be pulling my depot for the M6 if the price point is near the 160

alican1

#8 ·
alican1 said:
. This makes the car almost 60 K more then the 645. The 645 I have is a great car and I have just turned 10k on it and it is a wonderful car. So I am not sure the additional dollars and the additional car that we will get for our money will be worth it.
alican1
That is a MASSIVE premium over the 645! I agree with you, for that money it may not be worth it. The only good thing I can say is, at that pricing, you can be sure the car will be exclusive :confused3 !!

#9 · (Edited)
It's absolutely not worth it over the 645, UNLESS you have that money laying around and don't really have anything else to spend it on. Then again, the price of a 645 is hardly worth it over a basic 5 series. and the price of a 5 series is not worth it over a 3 series. luxury cars are just that, luxuries. No, my intention is not to lecture; cast the first stone and all that...

My point is that it sounds like you're ready to spend that kind of money on a car, so it's just a question of how much bang do you get for your buck and which car will you pick. Your comparison cars are all spot on I think, except some of them will incur more expenses (F360) than the M6.

Think of what the joyous moments will be with your car and which one will make you the happiest:

1. Getting up in the morning to find it in your garage.lovelove
2. Racing on curvy empty roads. :noSMG:
3. Cruising long distance on the highway. :M5launch:
4. Pulling up to a restaurant. mmmmmm
5. Filling it with gas and talking to random fans.kinggf
6. Talking to your neighbors and friends.cherrsagai
7. Washing it in your drive way on Sunday morning.:cool:
8. Just going for drives for helluvit.:flag:

Answer the above questions and you will know which car is right for you.

#10 ·
which one will make you the happiest:

1. Getting up in the morning to find it in your garage.lovelove Answer: M6
2. Racing on curvy empty roads. :noSMG: Answer: M6
3. Cruising long distance on the highway. :M5launch: Answer: M6
4. Pulling up to a restaurant. mmmmmm Answer: M6
5. Filling it with gas and talking to random fans.kinggf Answer: M6
6. Talking to your neighbors and friends.cherrsagai Answer: M6
7. Washing it in your drive way on Sunday morning.:cool: Answer: M6
8. Just going for drives for helluvit.:flag: Answer: M6

#12 ·
MaxTimeOff said:
At $140K canadian that puts the M6 at about $112,000 US. I think that would be a little high. I expect the M6 here in the states to be sub $100K, more like $95,000 U.S. but I could be wrong (I hope not!!).
My 0.02c: M6 in Germany is close to 150K USD.
That is nowhere close to your dream-number of sub-100K for the US!!!
But if so, I'm renting a cargo-boat.

Captain Sarah.

#13 ·
sarahMN said:
My 0.02c: M6 in Germany is close to 150K USD.
That is nowhere close to your dream-number of sub-100K for the US!!!
But if so, I'm renting a cargo-boat.

Captain Sarah.
Captain,

Dream number? Not my dream, it's a number that been kicked around the net for quite some time, and I happen to agree.

What ever the final number is, I really feel it will be much closer to $100K then $150K......get ready to man or woman the cargo boat! ;) At a buck and a half, it won't sell in the States. That would be about double a 645/650.

"We can't take it anymore Capt'n, we're giv'n her all she's got!!

#14 · (Edited)
Marku5 said:
1. Getting up in the morning to find it in your garage.lovelove
2. Racing on curvy empty roads. :noSMG:
3. Cruising long distance on the highway. :M5launch:
4. Pulling up to a restaurant. mmmmmm
5. Filling it with gas and talking to random fans.kinggf
6. Talking to your neighbors and friends.cherrsagai
7. Washing it in your drive way on Sunday morning.:cool:
8. Just going for drives for helluvit.:flag:

Answer the above questions and you will know which car is right for you.
Great Questions, thats what its all about.

But you forgot an important one.
1. Getting up in the morning to find it in your garage.lovelove 430
2. Racing on curvy empty roads. :noSMG: 430
3. Cruising long distance on the highway. :M5launch: AMDB9
4. Pulling up to a restaurant. mmmmmm M5 (Wife + 2 Friends)
5. Filling it with gas and talking to random fans.kinggf M6
6. Talking to your neighbors and friends.cherrsagai M6
7. Washing it in your drive way on Sunday morning.:cool: 430, DB9, M6
8. Just going for drives for helluvit.:flag M6
9. Pulling up at the Golf Club. (This may decide)
10. Finishing the round and walking back to the carpark with new playing partners you just met. M6
11. Accelerating away from the Gold club, watching the expression on their faces. :eek: 430

Which one can fit two sets of Golf clubs in it?

If I settle for a car that can only take one set, it brings the New 911 TT (998 ?) back into the equasion.

The New Cayman S looks Sweet (Better than the 997 S), so the TT will be a killer.
Decisions, Decisions. ouich I'm waiting until they are all HERE, so I can drive all of them, and give then the Golf Bag test.

MJ

#15 · (Edited)
Hey Mark,

Ever thought of leaving your clubs at the course? :D If you play around (golf that is;) ) at diferent courses, than buy extra sets.

You now have a green light for your new wheels or maybe just get em all.... that's what I'm working on.

#16 ·
Terk said:
Hey Mark,

Ever thought of leaving your clubs at the course? :D If you play around (golf that is;) ) at diferent courses, than buy extra sets.

You now have a green light for your new wheels or maybe just get em all.... that's what I'm working on.

Hey T-man,

A normal average set of clubs may be O.K, but I have $20K worth of Sticks and Equip.

There are three main courses I play at.

The Good news is , the closest one to me at present is having a full Championship Upgrade.

That could make it my permanent home course rather than travelling between the three.

But I do like the Drive in Between, if you know what I mean.

Drive the Beast for an Hour and a Half. Drive the white ball for four hours, then drive the Beast an Hour and a half home. Does it get any better than that?

Yes, when you arrive home, and your smiling wife is feeling guilty about shopping all day. Thats the perfect ending to a perfect day. cherrsagai

Its a tough life, but someone has to do it. :M5launch:

#17 ·
Any car is worth it if you enjoy it! It is such an individual choice, that anything over $100K could be questioned. Go with what works best for you.

The question of golf bags does bring to light the large trunk present in the 6-series, something that would be somewhat lacking in a 997 Porsche, AM V8 or F430.

I have a question for the 6-series owners, does the lack of a sunroof and non-opening rear qtr windows create a clostrophobic environment or is it just the dark interiors I've seen in the magazines?
Cheers,
Kevmmm

#18 ·
Kevmmm said:
Any car is worth it if you enjoy it! It is such an individual choice, that anything over $100K could be questioned. Go with what works best for you.

The question of golf bags does bring to light the large trunk present in the 6-series, something that would be somewhat lacking in a 997 Porsche, AM V8 or F430.

I have a question for the 6-series owners, does the lack of a sunroof and non-opening rear qtr windows create a clostrophobic environment or is it just the dark interiors I've seen in the magazines?
Cheers,
Kevmmm
I do not find the 645 at all claustrophobic...(and would be willing to give up the carbon fibre roof on the M for the extra weight of the glass 645 roof.) In fact even with the sushade drawn I find the 645 fairly bright. I got mine in stratus grey with a very pale cream full leather interior including the carpets, so it feesl very bright and airy. I will do the same with my upcoming M6 I think.

#19 ·
Ronan said:
I got mine in stratus grey with a very pale cream full leather interior including the carpets, so it feesl very bright and airy. I will do the same with my upcoming M6 I think.
I think the cream interior (which is very nice btw)is the key...thank you.

I recall that in my 840, I could "open up" the entire car, as both front and rear windows went down, and the sunroof slid back as well. A shame they didn't design the new 6 in the same way IMHO (...and yes, I realize they kept the B-pilar in for rigidity purposes...)
Cheers,
Kevmmm

#20 ·
Mark,

It would seem that the M6 would take care of the drive to the course and the M5 is required for the drive to dinner with friends. Sort of a nice pair wouldn't you say.

MIB said:
Hey T-man,

A normal average set of clubs may be O.K, but I have $20K worth of Sticks and Equip.
Just out of curiosity, at $20K for the golf sticks, do they also have a Dinan badge? :1:

Later Mark
T.

PS. A little OT but do you ever place a "SNOWman" on the scorecard ;)

#21 ·
Kevmmm said:

Cheers,
Kevmmm
Silver Gray with Chateau mixed with gray interior . Feels and looks fine and not too dark. Often in the bright Florida sun I have to keep the sunshade closed as well as it gets too bright for me. I think the colors are slightly to far more bright than most photos I've seen. Rarely miss true sun roof or non opening rear windows. Never have had a rear seat passenger so I do not know what they might say. And I intend to keep it that way in the M6 too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.