BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting used to the SMG now and I really prefer it over the manual (no more "annoying in traffic" clutch pedal).

Most of the time I like shifting with the paddles but if I'm doing more than one thing e.g. going round a corner then I tend to shift with the lever. I'd say the ratio of use is about 70:30 in favour of the paddles.

Just curious as to what others are doing. I guess it depends on what type of roads you drive on most. What's your experience - paddles vs. lever shifting?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Probably 60:40 to paddles

·
Registered
342 Posts
90:10 lever.
It feels as if I can shift smoother with the lever.
When using the paddles it is also more of a "click" when shifting up or down

·
Registered
78 Posts
Paddles 100% of the time, I have not used the stick at all in the M5. When I had SMG on my M3 I used the stick about 50% of the time. In between I had a 911 C4S and when I picked up the E60 just started using the paddles or when in traffic use the auto mode which if perfectly okay for such occasions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
glad to hear that none of you miss the clutch. that is my biggest fear about my Third M5 due in october. i never minded the clutch in traffic ever and used the gears to contol torque/speed in my driving. are you able to have this same feeling in the smg version?
max

·
Registered
943 Posts
Active driving on twisty roads and high speed driving - always paddles.

Normal driving in town and lazy mixed driving - lever.

Cruising along with the family or talking in cellphone - auto mode.

When I first got the M5 I didn´t think I was going to use the lever at all, but have changed my mind. The lever actually gives a very nice shift feeling

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
cidair said:
Active driving on twisty roads and high speed driving - always paddles.

Normal driving in town and lazy mixed driving - lever.

Cruising along with the family or talking in cellphone - auto mode.

When I first got the M5 I didn´t think I was going to use the lever at all, but have changed my mind. The lever actually gives a very nice shift feeling
Exactly the same here... Which gives the 60:40 affect to paddles, love the speed :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
90:10 in favour of the paddles. Definitely prefer them to the stick as I can hold on to the steering wheel whilst going hell for leather round the twisiting roads between Manchester and Sheffield!!! Fantastic!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
A mix of lever/paddle/auto.

Lever is handy for upchanges when smoking (yeh yeh I know, filthy habit). Auto is handy for the kickdown so on single carriageway I will often slip in into Auto, kickdown to overtake, change up using the paddles and then slip into Auto for the next victim.:M5launch:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I often use the lever at slower speeds, also did the same when I had the SMG M3's. But always paddels when spirited driving.

Sacha...

·
Registered
943 Posts
If your racing someone on the autobahn, it´s very convenient to put the SMG in D5. It shifts at max revs and you can focus 100% on the road and your contender :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
60:40 lever. It's nice to lean on your right arm [LHD] and shift with the lever. Also for some faster driving I tend to transfer to the paddles.

BTW I don't see how someone can use the paddles all the time. Because if you are in a tight turn it's not easy to find the right [lefthiha] paddle.

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,795 Posts
chris.bailey said:
A mix of lever/paddle/auto.

Lever is handy for upchanges when smoking (yeh yeh I know, filthy habit). :
Its not the fact that you smoke that scares me--- its your life, ..... but that you actually smoke inside the M5 is scary. :hihihi: .... Imagine the smell after a while... :sad2:

A guy smart enough to choose an M5, should be smart enough to not smoke inside it, right hiha

I once considered to buy a car, everything was OK with the car, real beuty.... and then I jumped inside..... it was like jumping inside an ashtray.... I almost puked.....

NB! I did NOT buy that car....

·
Registered
78 Posts
To clarify my earlier post when in S mode I use paddles 100%, but I do use D mode when not pushing the car or in heavy traffic or manovering the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts