BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten into the habit of blipping the throttle and rev matching every time I downshift, for both smoothness and tranny preservation. Just wondering if alot of you guys also do the same or just downshift without matching revs first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep! all day long, and not just for the preservation of the parts but also for the excellent sound of that V8... Also, double clutch into 2nd since I don't have one of those cool Evo3 shifters yet. I find it a little difficult to get into 2nd on those tight corners. Just a habit from the racing days, some things you just can't unlearn... :typing:

Ed

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Rev match or double clutch all of my downshifts. I usually double clutch to help out the slow synchros in my Jetta, and to minimize wear.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Double-declutch and heel/toe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
fasteddie said:
Also, double clutch into 2nd since I don't have one of those cool Evo3 shifters yet. I find it a little difficult to get into 2nd on those tight corners. Just a habit from the racing days, some things you just can't unlearn... :typing:

Ed
Wow, I thought I was the only one with problems getting into 2nd in tight corners. The shifter wants to shoot all the way over to the left (under the reverse slot).

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All the time :noSMG:

Makes for a smoother downshift... :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Wow, I thought I was the only one with problems getting into 2nd in tight corners. The shifter wants to shoot all the way over to the left (under the reverse slot).
Get Tranny mounts if you dont have em... makes shifting in coners much tighter. :wroom:

Kin Mak

·
Registered
512 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Get Tranny mounts if you dont have em... makes shifting in coners much tighter. :wroom:

Kin Mak
I had tranny mounts installed about two days before my accident, so I havent had a chance to notice a difference yet (car is still in the shop). Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Always rev match, double clutch down, and absolutely always press the sport button as soon as the engine ignites!:happybirt

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yep. Rev match- heel/toe. I dont understand how you can effectively downshift without rev-matching. heel/toe is just a method of rev-matching while adding in braking to the mix. What fun! :M5launch:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, either rev match (with double clutching which is not necessary since our M5s have synchros) or heel and toe with doucle clutch.

/Rich

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Always double clutch rev match downshift here as well. A great habot to get into (unless you consider the gas you waste ;)).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts