BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
this is my first post here in this great forum.

i have a question for everybody who have an M5

if you have such a great car and also have a very fast SUV like Porsche Cayenne turbo or AUDI Q7 V12, Would you still need a super car?

i don't have any of those just to be honest :) but i hope i can have any of them one day

i just keep dreaming of it and when i reach the part of a super car i ask my self, why do i need it? what will i use it for !! it can't be an everyday car and can't drive it in all roads specially if your country doesn't have good roads like mine

how many of you is willing to pay $90K or more for a car that will be driven occasionally ?

thank you very much in advance

·
Registered
917 Posts
M is sort of a super car in its own right to an extent. In fact, up top, there are few super cars that can catch it. The only reason you would want a super car despite having an M is one of two reasons: 1. if you thought you needed more power (lambo/merci, 599 gtb etc.) and 2. If you needed something lighter. I fixed the more power issue by getting a stroker and saved 150K in the process, I am going to fix #2 by getting into a GT3RS eventually, using the 150K I saved by keeping the M5 and getting it stroked. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks trol, i also was thinking of the 2012 Nissan GTR 530 hp, it will hit 60 m/h in about 3.1 seconds, but i don't know why don't i like it , may be i'm not convinced with the idea of a super car with a V6

·
Registered
917 Posts
No, its not the V6. Its the gearing of that car. The gearing is such that the car can really accelerate fast up to 100 or so MPH, where most of the street and track action lies, however after that, it suffers. It can pull off the gearing because it uses a tuned dual clutch transmission which is a very fast at switching gears (which you will need with that gearing). So, if you are looking to pull off stand still launches and track times that many just dream of, GTR is for you. If you want to actually enjoy the experience of driving the car and/or drive the car past 125MPH, you need something else.

·
Registered
917 Posts
And let me just add that I would be lying if I said I have not considered the new GTR but in the heart of our hearts, we all know something is wrong with that kid. I mean, its a 3800lbs monster with an ordinary power to weight ratio and yet, it is the thorn in Porsche and Lambo's sides. What gives? The answer as I put above is in gearing combined with a software so awesome that you cannot drift the GTR if you wanted to. It defies laws of physics like an F-22 does (again, using software). So there you have it, if you are a tech aficionado like I am, GTR is awesome and the price cannot be beat and the new black edition is not that shabby looking when it comes to trim either - but its still no match for my stroker which is only 300lbs heavier but gobs more fun with its NA power delivery and rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
M is sort of a super car in its own right to an extent. In fact, up top, there are few super cars that can catch it. The only reason you would want a super car despite having an M is one of two reasons: 1. if you thought you needed more power (lambo/merci, 599 gtb etc.) and 2. If you needed something lighter. I fixed the more power issue by getting a stroker and saved 150K in the process, I am going to fix #2 by getting into a GT3RS eventually, using the 150K I saved by keeping the M5 and getting it stroked. Hope that answers your question.
I really like this line of thought. The bargain of the century, imo, is just what you have done. Having the stroker makes you virtually invincible on the road with a car this is still very usable. This is the holy grail of performance. My goal is to do the same in a couple of years. The savings realized with the performance gain is nothing short of miraculous. Thanks for showing the way! :cheers:

Reactions: trol

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yep, don't get me wrong, I yearn to own an Aston Martin or an F430 or anything of that nature. However, I wouldn't buy something like a Zonda or something incredibly hardcore. I classify all as supercars, as they each perform in a certain way to claim that title in different categories, and our cars are one of them. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, its not the V6. Its the gearing of that car. The gearing is such that the car can really accelerate fast up to 100 or so MPH, where most of the street and track action lies, however after that, it suffers.

trol, you just described what i wanted to say, i searched a lot for a GTR that accelerate over 200 miles but i didn't find and when i found a video i noticed that it toke a lot of time to reach high speed, so at low speed it is very fast which make it a very good car on Track which doesn't need very high speed.

i also did some search and found some of the owners say that the car is boring on the road but on the track it is owsome

so after an M5, if i want to get a super car i guess i will have something like SLS AMG , Ferrari 458 or the Mclren MP4-12C

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
A supercar is totally different from a regular car that happens to be fast. I don't think you "need" one, but if you have the opportunity to own one, or at least spend some time driving one, jump on it! :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
To be honest, I still want a fast manual transmission 2 seater. It's a different feel. I had a lot of options before picking up my M (was looking at the C4S and R8) but at the end with a family with young kids it made sense to get a 4 door at the time. I'm lucky enough that 'settling' was with a beast of a car, the fastest sedan out there. But there's still an itch to squeeze a 2 seater into my stable at some point :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
trol, you just described what i wanted to say, i searched a lot for a GTR that accelerate over 200 miles but i didn't find and when i found a video i noticed that it toke a lot of time to reach high speed, so at low speed it is very fast which make it a very good car on Track which doesn't need very high speed.

i also did some search and found some of the owners say that the car is boring on the road but on the track it is owsome

so after an M5, if i want to get a super car i guess i will have something like SLS AMG , Ferrari 458 or the Mclren MP4-12C
The 458 is a monster! One of my best friends has the SLS and swears by it. Tough choices. :cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
My super car :)

Weights 2950 wet, it makes 817whp/620tq it has 51/49 weight distribution and it sounds like a bike.

i know it's not a Ferrari nor lambo but it sure out performs a lot of them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts