BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do when your service advisor does a nice job when you take your car in, but the mechanics in the back royally screw up? I hate to give low marks because it seems like it's going to fall squarely on my S.A.'s shoulders, even though it's not his fault. And if I don't give low marks the BMWNA thinks everything is hunkey dorey at that dealer. I always recommend that they change the survey to reflect the S.A.'s performance, and the mechanic's performance. Anyone else have this dilemma?

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I was in high school my summer job was in the service department at a BMW dealership in <st1:city><st1 ="">Atlanta</st1></st1:city>. Those marks you give are taken very seriously by BMW (funny, BMW NA quit calling me for surveys after they realized I was an employee and a customer). Each week the dealer gets what is called a CSI report, essentially a chart showing the customer's name, scores they gave, and any verbal remarks. At the dealership I worked at, part of the advisor's and tech's pay is based on their weekly CSI score. Bonuses are given based upon beating the national average CSI score. If I remember correctly there is a question about the quality of the work performed and that is the one tied to the techs. So if you have an issue with the actual work you can dock the tech and still give your service advisor good marks. The dealership I worked at printed out the CSI reports weekly and highlighted any scores under five. Each advisor was expected to read the comments stated about their customers service experience. Some bad scores were simply written off due to difficult customers or unique problems, while most all of the legitimate ones were usually dealt with in an appropriate fashion. They take the scores seriously and make an effort to use them to improve. One way to express your displeasure without hurting anyone’s feelings is to simply give all fives but state your issues in the extra comments part of the survey.

2001 Dinan M5 Carbon Black/Black

·
Registered
68 Posts
My S.A. Joe Puleio, is rarely less than outstanding. I can't remember the last time he got anything less than a five from me. Unfortunately he has moved from Wide World in Nanuet, NY where the service is great to Westchester BMW where I have been disappointed in the past. Joe drives an E34 M5, and is not the type to push "unnecessary" service.

When I deal with unknown advisors, I tell them upfront, I give 5s if you earn them. Look out for my interests, and you will get a glowing endorsement from me.

I also have had advisors tell me that they know I give good reports to BMW, and they seem a little more interested in helping me out.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Vossen10 said:
When I was in high school my summer job was in the service department at a BMW dealership in <st1:city><st1 ="">Atlanta</st1></st1:city>. Those marks you give are taken very seriously by BMW (funny, BMW NA quit calling me for surveys after they realized I was an employee and a customer). Each week the dealer gets what is called a CSI report, essentially a chart showing the customer's name, scores they gave, and any verbal remarks. At the dealership I worked at, part of the advisor's and tech's pay is based on their weekly CSI score. Bonuses are given based upon beating the national average CSI score. If I remember correctly there is a question about the quality of the work performed and that is the one tied to the techs. So if you have an issue with the actual work you can dock the tech and still give your service advisor good marks. The dealership I worked at printed out the CSI reports weekly and highlighted any scores under five. Each advisor was expected to read the comments stated about their customers service experience. Some bad scores were simply written off due to difficult customers or unique problems, while most all of the legitimate ones were usually dealt with in an appropriate fashion. They take the scores seriously and make an effort to use them to improve. One way to express your displeasure without hurting anyone’s feelings is to simply give all fives but state your issues in the extra comments part of the survey.

2001 Dinan M5 Carbon Black/Black
That's useful advice - thank you. I've never given less than fives, because I've never rec'd less than perfect service. I don't even let the survey caller get going - I just say "everything was great - give them all fives" and the phonecall quickly ends :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
PeteM1965 said:
My S.A. Joe Puleio, is rarely less than outstanding. I can't remember the last time he got anything less than a five from me. Unfortunately he has moved from Wide World in Nanuet, NY where the service is great to Westchester BMW where I have been disappointed in the past. Joe drives an E34 M5, and is not the type to push "unnecessary" service.

When I deal with unknown advisors, I tell them upfront, I give 5s if you earn them. Look out for my interests, and you will get a glowing endorsement from me.

I also have had advisors tell me that they know I give good reports to BMW, and they seem a little more interested in helping me out.
I used to work for Joe and Sal at Rennsport way back when. Joe is a great guy. Next time you see him tell him Jordan D'Alessio says hi.

As far as the all 5's goes. My answer is NO. They get exactly what they deserve. If the service IS excelent they get high scores if not they get low scores. My answer is do a better job next time.

Best,

Jordan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow! I need to go to the dealerships you all use. I give very honest survey ratings. Up until yesterday and today, my experiences with BMW dealerships and service have been bad enough to contemplate paying for warranty service.

I picked up my car today from VOB BMW, in Rockville, MD - a dealership that I have driven over 50 miles away to avoid for the last couple of years. In fact, this is the first time I have taken my M5 there as I have been very reluctant to "give them another shot." I can happily report that things went very well. My SA was receptive, responsive, knowledgeable, and polite. The only negative I had was a rude attendant checking the cars in. If there isn't an appropriate place to note that I may have to go the "5 with a comment" route.

I can't say that I've ever really seen my honest, low scores have any discernable effect, though.

Greg
2003 ///M5 Jet Black/Black, Sport
Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets, Bluetooth, Aux Audio Input & all "plus" options except PDC

1995 318is Boston Green/Tan

2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
3 warranty visits and never a survey... and I was generally very pleased with the SA.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
All 5's because my SA usually earns it. If I need a loaner and set it up ahead of time, no problem. If something needs to get fixed under warranty, it is taken care of. When I pointed out that I have a rear main seal leak (prob because they didn't replace it when they replaced my clutch 2 years ago), SA said don't worry, they will do the clutch again if necessary!!!
I have had to make multiple visits when the dealership didn't order the right part, or when they didn't do a good job bleeding brakes (corrected the following week). I still gave 5's because the service was generally good, and they fixed any screw up in short order. When there is a screw up and I get a survey call, I just tell the person the service wasn't completed yet and to call back when it has been completed. Never had a problem and my SA continues to be excellent.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
445 Posts
Having gone to the same dealer for my last 9 BMW's for both sales and service, they have treated me really well. On the surveys I will always give them 5's. If I have any issues that are unresolved, I will work it out on the backend with them and still give them the 5's. It's all about building relationships..

On one occasion, I got a nasty flat on my e46 M3 on the freeway about 7 miles from the dealership. I called the SA whom I usually work with and he was gracious enough to grab a spare rim and tire and meet me on the freeway shoulder to get me going without having to wait for roadside assistance.. Now that's awesome service! :thumbsup:

paulbondy said:
What do you guys do when your service advisor does a nice job when you take your car in, but the mechanics in the back royally screw up? I hate to give low marks because it seems like it's going to fall squarely on my S.A.'s shoulders, even though it's not his fault. And if I don't give low marks the BMWNA thinks everything is hunkey dorey at that dealer. I always recommend that they change the survey to reflect the S.A.'s performance, and the mechanic's performance. Anyone else have this dilemma?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts