BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the midst of my 100,000 mile engine overhaul. The water pump was not in the original plan, because I have receipts showing it was replaced 20,000 miles ago (before I owned the car).

However, it looks like this:

Do we think it was actually replaced 20,000 miles ago, or did the shop cook the books?

How fast do these things get rusty?

:confused3

I am inclined to say they did most of the job they said they did on the receipt, as the pipes feel fresh, the rad looks newish, and the thermostat was running too cool (so they replaced it with OEM instead of OE, I'm already addressing that). This bit just looks a bit suspect to me...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also, any way of telling if it was a brand new pump or an overhauled item? (An overhauled item may not have been as "pristine" and would fuel your suspicion?)

·
Registered
399 Posts
You would think with that timescale, that mileage and new parts that every crevice on the waterpump would be close to clean as new.
It doesn't appear that way from your picture...you may be right to be suspicious.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
bare steel will rust very quickly. ifmthe car sat for a year in a moist envirnment its going to rust.

but in my Rob state of mind you should replace the whole engine with a brand new one.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No date stamp on the pump?
Here's all the stamping on the pump. Anything after 9/2000 would indicate that the pump has been replaced, as that was the production date on the pump. But, I don't know how to despipher them, if they are a production date...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was also the pump over to access it's condition. I found zero slop or graininess in the bearing, but did notice this at the lowest point on the bearing. Indicative that it's done or just travel down from above?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Here's all the stamping on the pump. Anything after 9/2000 would indicate that the pump has been replaced, as that was the production date on the pump. But, I don't know how to despipher them, if they are a production date...
I wish I could be more help trying to figure out what those numbers mean. I Googled a few things but wasn't able to find an answer.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Service history strikes again!

Unless you can decode the markings on the pump you will not be able to know for certain when it was installed and even then you still won't know for sure - it could be an old pump installed last week.

The real question is does it matter?

The surface corrosion is not a big deal and will not harm the car. It can probably be removed with some abrasive pads or sandpaper or even by some chemical rust remover, but If you don't like it then change the pump.

If the bearing is good and there is no excessive play and the impeller turns freely then the pump is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the gunk on the bottom, when the bearing goes you will get fair amount leaking - it is probably some junk thrown from other part of the engine :eek:

All that said, you should probably just replace the pump, you know you want to, just accept it and put a nice shiny piece on :)

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
284 Posts
The worst thing about seeing the water pump on one of these is knowing they're as simple as simple comes yet cost about 8 times what a regular e39 water pump costs. Gut wrenching.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 25 Posts