BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes we do. :D
Maybe we'll get the exhaust manufacturers to lower prices (wishful thinking...I know).

So I have about 200 miles on my muffler delete. I'm still up the air about getting Timmay's tips or sticking with these Magnaflows (35168). Since I had a day off I couldn't wait, hence the Magnaflow tips you see.

Quick funny story…I took my car to get a well deserved wash today. One of the workers cleaning my wheels yelled "M Cinco". :D (for you Timmay, great mod) I plead the fifth on what nationality he was.

My little review of the delete I'll try to keep simple.

For a while I thought it was a little too quiet in the cabin. The sound just didn't resonate in the cabin as the stock muffler when installed. I was getting discouraged and slightly underwhelmed.

About a hundred miles later I can tell that the sound did get louder AND deeper. I could even hear the exhaust note bounce off other cars and walls as I passed by. I'm a bit more happier now that the sound has deepened. It definitely sleeps during highway speeds until you hit the throttle. Still it'll take some getting used to because I actually liked the stock exhaust note at low speeds but thought it lacked some balls in the midrange.

All in all I am glad I did this mod so I thought I would share a clip I made on my phone and quickly worked up a mini-clip in iMovie. Enjoy!

<object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNf_1OyZIfk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
My first set of tips were the exact same Magnaflows, then I decided to make my own and copy the stock style. Great write up..... hey, does it drone? LOL...... Don't answer that....

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Agreed. I like the delete as well. My only complaint is that it's a little much in low speed traffic. I kind of feel like "that guy". It makes me shift a lot sooner in traffic in order to keep the noise down. I think my favorite part has to be blipping the throttle on downshifts. That bark is awesome.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Love those tips, are they pretty much available at any custom exhaust shop? Wasn't sure if they were only available through their site or not. I'll be doing this soon.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about local availability. I got these from Jegs with cheap 2nd day air shipping.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
My first set of tips were the exact same Magnaflows, then I decided to make my own and copy the stock style. Great write up..... hey, does it drone? LOL...... Don't answer that....
dude there is a very slight bit of drone, very slight but it is there. most noticeable on a cold start till it warms up. someone else who just did the delete said so in their thread as well. again, very slight bit but drone none the less. although overall this is a great idea and the miniscule amount of drone should not deter anyone from doing this.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

nightkrawler said:
dude there is a very slight bit of drone, very slight but it is there. most noticeable on a cold start till it warms up. someone else who just did the delete said so in their thread as well. again, very slight bit but drone none the less. although overall this is a great idea and the miniscule amount of drone should not deter anyone from doing this.
To me drone is the annoying in-cabin harmonics you get with many aftermarket exhausts (on any vehicle) at cruising speeds. The muffler delete mod has absolutely none. I've run exhausts that were louder inside the car than outside because of drone. Not fun when you're trying to converse with passengers. With the delete its as quiet as stock until you dip into the throttle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
dude there is a very slight bit of drone, very slight but it is there. most noticeable on a cold start till it warms up. someone else who just did the delete said so in their thread as well.
I am guilty of suggesting there is some drone with a cold start, up a hill, under load, 1500-1800 RPM, first thing in the morning. I would drive up my street above 2000 RPM, but I leave at 5:30AM, so that's the only reason I know. FWIW, I don't notice drone the rest of the day, even in stop and go traffic into Boston.

Now that the windows are usually closed, I will be driving with the sunroof cracked through the entire New England winter, just to hear my beloved "custom exhaust system", as my children call it.

I feel like "that guy" when I start my car in the school parking lot, after picking the kids up from soccer. Mothers pull there children towards them, fathers look over, wondering where the hot rod is. Even pulling away at 5mph, the badness underneath is now impossible to hide, so I've stopped trying.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I am guilty of suggesting there is some drone with a cold start, up a hill, under load, 1500-1800 RPM, first thing in the morning. I would drive up my street above 2000 RPM, but I leave at 5:30AM, so that's the only reason I know. FWIW, I don't notice drone the rest of the day, even in stop and go traffic into Boston.

Now that the windows are usually closed, I will be driving with the sunroof cracked through the entire New England winter, just to hear my beloved "custom exhaust system", as my children call it.

I feel like "that guy" when I start my car in the school parking lot, after picking the kids up from soccer. Mothers pull there children towards them, fathers look over, wondering where the hot rod is. Even pulling away at 5mph, the badness underneath is now impossible to hide, so I've stopped trying.
Yes, it's that 1500-1800 range especially when the weather is cold.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"That guy" got pulled over an hour ago. Cop said, "I bet you didn't know you were going that fast." I just said, "I didn't hear a thing. Car is so quiet."

He got a real chuckle out of that and later said, "I'll let you choose, ticket for going 49 in a 30 or one for no front plates." True story. My 12 year old son thought the cop was funny too.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
It was a rhetorical question dude, I think I would know if there is a drone or not......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts