BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am new here and I (still) don't have the M5 and I am trying to figure out something. I suppose you can help me from your experience.

The current price of the M5 base model in BMW Germany is 86,500 EUR. Is this price going to stay like this or is it going to fall down in a while? If it is going to fall, when can this be expected and how much (in percentage) could it fall?

Thanks a lot for the info!
TheAvenger

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think it will probably depend upon your own country situation. The UK for example has a complete order book which would imply prices will be high for a long while - that said, there will come a point when there are sufficient used ones, coupled with people dropping out, that the price will start to fall. I think there are some countries within Europe however where the order book is still considerably less than a year - then I would foresee prices start to fall, if only slightly, within 6 months or so for used examples.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :cheers:

The sticker price in the UK for the E39 went down after a couple of years when BMW GB realised how many people were going over to continental Europe and buying their cars there for twenty percent less. If I recall correctly, the price was reduced from £59000 to £52000. They have learned the lesson though, and UK E60 M5s are priced much closer to their European cousins as well as being very well specced in standard form.

At the moment there are large premiums being paid for the first E60 M5's but expect this to disappear over the next year as supply increases (at least that's the theory).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will buy one from Germany (although I live in Switzerland) because of VAT issues (I will get the 16% VAT from Germany back and have to pay only 7.6% here in Switzerland). So I am interested in the price in Germany. The US prices are very different (and amazingly lower) than the European ones and maybe the price politics of BMW are not the same

·
Registered
15 Posts
TheAvenger said:
I will buy one from Germany (although I live in Switzerland) because of VAT issues (I will get the 16% VAT from Germany back and have to pay only 7.6% here in Switzerland). So I am interested in the price in Germany. The US prices are very different (and amazingly lower) than the European ones and maybe the price politics of BMW are not the same
Hi Avenger,

Just a small note. You will pay more than 7.6 due to importing and other add on taxes...In total it will be around 11-12%. Still there is an advantage... I bought my m3 in Germany, so I would think m5 is no different in this respect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TheAvenger said:
I would have no worries buying a EUR 20k car in Germany, but I doubt buying a M5 in Germany. Do you get BMW Service Plus, Free Service up to 100'000 km and so on?
Not to talk about the case you have someting with your M5... for instance a broken engine... will you go to Germany to deal with them? Of course you get a European warranty... . Nevertheless, I personally admire a good relationship to my BMW dealer here in CH. Believe me, it is worth it!

Under the bottom line I don't think you will have any advantage. However, it is your decision.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I know about the Service Plus, Free Service, etc. I also checked what can be saved by importing from Germany. It's about 9'000 CHF for an M5 that costs in Switzerland 139'000 (so German price is 130'000). Do you think the Service Plus is worth 9'000? I don't know how much the service costs for a M5... For my 316 E46 I did not save more than 1000 CHF from service....

·
Registered
15 Posts
TheAvenger said:
Yes, I know about the Service Plus, Free Service, etc. I also checked what can be saved by importing from Germany. It's about 9'000 CHF for an M5 that costs in Switzerland 139'000 (so German price is 130'000). Do you think the Service Plus is worth 9'000? I don't know how much the service costs for a M5... For my 316 E46 I did not save more than 1000 CHF from service....
I had M3 for two years and had once an oil service and service 1. So in total I paid around 1500 SFR... With Free Service I would have paid for oil and some other small stuff anyway... So I would say in total I paid 1000 SFR more than if had Free Service...
For me it was better getting a car from Germany (Free Service is not a real advantage for me and I was able to find an increadible deal on M3 in Germany...)

·
Registered
82 Posts
TheAvenger said:
As I wrote before, it is your desicion and I don't want to hold you off from your way.

But... don't forget it is not a normal 4-cyl. 1.6 liter BMW we are talking about.
It is a BMW M... a V10 5 liter engine... and this for 100'000km....?!?!

PS: At my E39 M5 I got replaced the front brake discs three times because of vibrations during braking down from high speed.:flag: If I would have had to pay this every time, well....grrrrrrr

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, front brake discs should be part of the Europe guarantee I think. I have not made a final decision, so it is very helpful to hear different opinions. You are right about the 100'000 km and the engine though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts