BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great thread

Also good to have more than one version of how to do stuff.

Going to attack my alternator in the next few days.

Did not see anything about the leaky oil valve on each side of the pan. I already have the 8 O-rings.
Might take some pics doing that while I'll be under there.

Thanks for this condensed thread.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I adjusted my ST coil-over suspension up 0.5" last weekend. Since then the "Check Brake Lining" warning pops up when shutting the car down. Some kind of coincidence?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I adjusted my ST coil-over suspension up 0.5" last weekend. Since then the "Check Brake Lining" warning pops up when shutting the car down. Some kind of coincidence?
Perhaps you accidentally dislodged a sensor in the front left or rear right from the brake pad or a wire got pinched?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Perhaps you accidentally dislodged a sensor in the front left or rear right from the brake pad or a wire got pinched?
That would be my luck...stupid meat hands. I'll check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I found the culprit. This photo is of the front wiring to the sensor, the rear is also frayed.

It looks like I should replace the sensors and wiring. Easy job for a newbie?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I found the culprit. This photo is of the front wiring to the sensor, the rear is also frayed.

It looks like I should replace the sensors and wiring. Easy job for a newbie?
Yes very simple. It is one wire. Just be careful not to break the part that goes into the brake. Ensure you push it straight on. I broke one because I pushed it in and slipped in a diagonal motion.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
If you check your pads from time to time anyway, just connect the 2 wires and zip tie somewhere out of the way. Also, anyone with a BBK needs to do this since the pads do not accept the sensors. For the record, I replaced my sensors when I did a brake job last year.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you check your pads from time to time anyway, just connect the 2 wires and zip tie somewhere out of the way. Also, anyone with a BBK needs to do this since the pads do not accept the sensors. For the record, I replaced my sensors when I did a brake job last year.
Good to know, but I would like to have the piece of mind in case I forgot. I don't even need to open the caliper at all then?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Good to know, but I would like to have the piece of mind in case I forgot. I don't even need to open the caliper at all then?
No sir, not at all. :smile

Reactions: Architect

·
Registered
416 Posts
No sir, not at all. :smile
That was easy! No tools required (other than for removing the wheels) and it took only 20-minutes. "Check Brake Linings" warning is gone!

·
Registered
416 Posts
That was easy! No tools required (other than for removing the wheels) and it took only 20-minutes. "Check Brake Linings" warning is gone!
...and then it was immediately replaced by the airbag warning light.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I picked this pdf up from bimmerforums and it's got some good detail and instructions on the front door lock actuator replacement.

Attachments

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
141 - 160 of 186 Posts