BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Today I changed my fuel filter and the diff and tranny oils. Used Royal Purple for the diff and tranny. I couldn’t have done it without the DIY’s posted here. Thank you to everyone who contributed!

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just did the t-stat on my beast this weekend with the help of these DIYs, would not have done it myself if it were not for the knowledge assembled here.

Big thanks to all the members who have contributed such great information!

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
It seems that the DIY diagnostic threads are not being added to this very useful thread. I feel that if the DIY diagnostic threads were added it would become more than useful like ultimate or some other superlative.
I would like to see this added as fuel pump electrical system diagnostics.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/206282-suddenly-stranded-testing-your-fuel-tank-levels-fuel-pump-relay-fuel-pump-10-minutes-piece-copper-wire.html?highlight=fuel+pump+relay
If this does get added I will find some others over the next weeks, that are for vanos and aux fan, those being electrical but there are other mechanical ones worth adding that are not how to fix but rather how to figure out which part to fix or replace.

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Do you suggest a catch-all "Diagnostics" section? If not, please suggest keywords for each that you find (I think this might be tricky).

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
A diagnostic section might work. I get the keywords, for search right? The biggest and best part of this thread is using it as an index. The fact that they are listed, means that they are more than likely correct. That is important because some threads have bad info.

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Keywords can sometimes be more helpful than whatever thread title was originally chosen, for indexing purposes in this thread. Diagnostic DIYs could just be mixed in, with whatever keywords you think are appropriate for each thread you submit here. Alternatively, if you think "diagnoses" are better separated from "fixes" altogether, then we can try that.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Not sure if there needs to be another section because there are only a few. Most diagnostic threads just go on and on with different tests, those I think should be left for people to search because they change paths as the tests are done. IE fuel code ones, most of the other specific diagnostic path seem to be included in the repair threads you have posted already. The vanos ones are an example of the diag tests being included.

I tried when I did the thread on diagnosing the aux fan of linking to every thread that was useful, it only really covered the specifics of what was wrong with my car although it has links that should allow complete diagnostics no matter what the problem is. That thread became confusing because of its length. However Sleeper39's thread which I used in doing my own diagnostic was more to the point, but it also was specific to his wiring failure.

I am really not sure there are enough specific diagnostic threads that you would want to include to justify a section.

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
So for the one you nominated above by JoefromPA: is it better to be under keyword "fuel", or under a section called "diagnostics"? For every additional thread you nominate here, it'll be the same question.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
When I went to look for it, I looked under fuel first and when it was not there I read every link. I suspect that is where most would look. That is when I discovered the other good diag threads missing. I am having a bear of a time finding the other couple.

·
Super Moderator
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
That thread has long been in the FAQ sticky, under Fuel. But I added it to the DIY sticky now too.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Yes I was aware, but I was trying to make a point and suggestion. I stopped because realized I did not have the time to give to the project. Good ideas need to be led and driven to succeed. I have not had the time to even write down the details and tests I did to get to "how to replumb your SAP". I have been promising that for a long time.
So I aborted but none the less: In my head if it requires tools even just a volt meter it should be in the DIY thread. If tool-less then the FAQ is a great place for it.

What I had in my head was a new thread that had links in the first part that went to a post in that thread. As a for instance link might be "aux fan not functioning" In that post could be different links to different threads allowing for a change in diag do to the variables. That way the first post would stay clean and the posts could be expanded. I also realized the board software may not allow posting by subtitle. IE I want to add a helpful link and a brief description of my experience with doing my brakes. IE I want to add it to the "brakes won't bleed" post. I am pretty sure just because I used the subtitle as my title the software won't put it in the right place. Without that it just becomes work for someone else to move it to the correct place.

As much as it seemed like a good idea when I had it , as I explored it I realized it was not likely executable unless I had the time to moderate it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
121 - 140 of 185 Posts