BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I just got my new '08 M5 a few weeks ago and am considering lowering this car.

I used to have an ' 07 530xi lowered on H&R Sport springs, however I had SERIOUS issues with the car's bump stops. The drop caused my struts to sit right on top of the bump stops, which had not been cut by the installer.

I found out why my car rode so poorly about 10 months after the drop. Throughout those 10 months, I must have had my car in the shop 6 times to try and figure out my vibration problems and my issues with the poor ride quality. It turned out that I had to cut over an inch off the rears and about 1.5" off the fronts, just to have enough strut travel.

It was amazing to once again have working struts with the bounce and vibrations dramatically reduced. I was riding on basically NO struts for 10 months.

I have tried and tried to search this topic re: the E60 M5 and basically came up empty. My questions becomes this: If I drop this car using Eibach, Hartge, H&R (probably not again) or whatever springs, will I still have enough strut travel so as not to have to cut the stops???

The lack of information on this topic re: the E60 M5 makes me think I won't, but ya never know. I don't want to experience the same nightmare I went through with my xi. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm running the HRs w/o cutting any bump stops. I have not had any of your issues of vibration. The ride quality diminished a little, but that is to be expected. Nothing to indicate that I am running a rigid frame, not even close.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you aren't riding on the stops, then I wouldn't expect vibration.

Anyone else want to chime in? I am not going to drop this car unless I am certain I don't have to cut them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you aren't riding on the stops, then I wouldn't expect vibration.

Anyone else want to chime in? I am not going to drop this car unless I am certain I don't have to cut them.
Hey what up Doc...

Hmmm, My shop cut my stops with RdSport. Granted RdSport is lower, but H&R is only .25" rear and .35" front higher.

I would think you need to cut them or wondering why they cut mine???

Didn't look like they cut that much off. Ride is good... I also did sway bars... You will end up with a bit of negative camber (out of spec) on the front, which is o.k. and probably preferred for hard cornering. People will install camber plates to get the negative camber that you get for free when you lower it. May go through tires a bit faster.

HaHa, can't believe you are already considering springs. The first step is to admit that you have a problem...HaHa...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know the lowering process well. And yes, I have a problem! ouich

I had my 530xi for almost a year, and I lowered it last July on H&R's and put 19" CSL'S on it....looked sweet. I actually just got rid of the xi today. So, doing the mod on the M5 isn't a rushed decision for me. I just didn't like the ride at all, and I didn't want to deal with cutting bump stops again & the crappy ride that came with the H&R's.

The 530xi would bottom out over expansion joints...made my fillings loose! I had to cut the fronts in half and the rears by 1.25" to get me off them. However, nobody on here seems to talk about the issue. And there are practically no prior threads regarding this. Below is the only one I found, and coincidentally, I had already read it last year when I was looking for info on my xi drop. And this thread is not an E60 M5 topic.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1276670

It's an extremely important piece of info to know, as I can attest to. There's nothing worse than having no struts by riding on the stops. I hope others can get their 2 cents as well. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I know the lowering process well. And yes, I have a problem!

I had my 530xi for almost a year, and I lowered it last July on H&R's and put 19" CSL'S on it....looked sweet. I actually just got rid of the xi today. So, doing the mod on the M5 isn't a rushed decision for me. I just didn't like the ride at all, and I didn't want to deal with cutting bump stops again & the crappy ride that came with the H&R's.

The 530xi would bottom out over expansion joints...made my fillings loose! I had to cut the fronts in half and the rears by 1.25" to get me off them. However, nobody on here seems to talk about the issue. And there are practically no prior threads regarding this. Below is the only one I found, and coincidentally, I had already read it last year when I was looking for info on my xi drop.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1276670

It's an extremely important piece of info to know, as I can attest to. There's nothing worse than having no struts by riding on the stops. I hope others can get their 2 cents as well. Thanks for your info.

Yeah, I know about your issues with the 530 and you swearing you weren't going down that road with the M5. That is why I was surprised and giving you a bad time. I think they need to be cut, though, at least that is what my installer did. I think you learned that one the hard way on your 530. Another more expensive option would be to go with coilovers. I think you would be able to set those up to just about give you any ride you want. I can't seem to get the KW coilovers out of my mind, but hoenstly the ride is fine with the RdSport.

Anyone else with useful knowledge on cutting the bump stops with H & R, please chime in...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Going at a brisk pace on EDC Comfort, my passenger front wheel got shocked by a smooth mild dip-to-ramp type of road surface. I heard the tire touch the top of the plastic inner wheel cover with a little bit of scrape contact. I don't want to think what would have happened if the bump stops were cut. They were just *almost* thick enough to bottom out the FR wheel w/o any serious contact.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I know about your issues with the 530 and you swearing you weren't going down that road with the M5. That is why I was surprised and giving you a bad time. I think they need to be cut, though, at least that is what my installer did. I think you learned that one the hard way on your 530. Another more expensive option would be to go with coilovers. I think you would be able to set those up to just about give you any ride you want. I can't seem to get the KW coilovers out of my mind, but hoenstly the ride is fine with the RdSport.

Anyone else with useful knowledge on cutting the bump stops with H & R, please chime in...
Even with my stops cut to the appropriate length on the xi, the car would hit VERY HARD, so much so that I am surprised I never broke a strut. If I do springs again for the M5, and the same expansions joints feel like they did on the xi, I might shoot myself for doing this. :bullseye:

I won't do H&R's again....Eibach or Hartge are at the top of the list, considering what I've read on here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Going at a brisk pace on EDC Comfort, my passenger front wheel got shocked by a smooth mild dip-to-ramp type of road surface. I heard the tire touch the top of the plastic inner wheel cover with a little bit of scrape contact. I don't want to think what would have happened if the bump stops were cut. They were just *almost* thick enough to bottom out the FR wheel w/o any serious contact.
Have you ever looked at or measured your strut travel (post drop), since you didn't cut your stops, to find out how much travel you have left, at least up front, where you can get a visual? I usually work some kind of stick in above the tire to see if I can push down on the bump stop from the top. If it doesn't move, then you are sitting on them, which ain't good. Knowing how much travel is left (on the various types of springs available) would be priceless information to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Have you ever looked at or measured your strut travel (post drop), since you didn't cut your stops, to find out how much travel you have left, at least up front, where you can get a visual? I usually work some kind of stick in above the tire to see if I can push down on the bump stop from the top. If it doesn't move, then you are sitting on them, which ain't good. Knowing how much travel is left (on the various types of springs available) would be priceless information to me. Thanks.
A stick above the tire would be impossible, as there is not enough of a gap. I wonder if I turned the wheel would I be able to do this. Will see if I remember to do this tomorrow....

Another good way to find out... it seems as if you remember quite vividly how the 530 rode. Find someone in your area with H&R's and ride around a few streets. Compare the ride from before and now and see if you can tell a difference. Makes me wonder too, but given that the ride diminished only slightly (from the OEM stilts) on moderately unkept pavement, I can't see how it is suspended by rubber only. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A stick above the tire would be impossible, as there is not enough of a gap. I wonder if I turned the wheel would I be able to do this. Will see if I remember to do this tomorrow....

Another good way to find out... it seems as if you remember quite vividly how the 530 rode. Find someone in your area with H&R's and ride around a few streets. Compare the ride from before and now and see if you can tell a difference. Makes me wonder too, but given that the ride diminished only slightly (from the OEM stilts) on moderately unkept pavement, I can't see how it is suspended by rubber only. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
My car was very low on the H&R's as well, but on the driver's side I was still able to use one of those metal tomato posts to reach in and push down a bit.

The worst case scenario is that I just cut them myself later, if I have to. I did it myself on the xi, and I can do it again. I just can't believe more people don't seem know about this issue here, considering how many people have had the job done. Maybe no one thinks about it or knows about it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting replies I think all you CA guys have them cut to slam the car but the bumpstops are designed for a reason. They act as springs themselves and are rated according to their respective colors and hardness.

years back in 2003 I had a Jaguar S Type R. I installed an Arden Suspension, springs and shocks and new bumpstops I was shocked when i removed the front struts from the car, even the OEM set up their was .50 of the strut shaft showing thats how tight the tolerance was on the suspension. I was like how can this be because the car rode so smoothly yet it appeared to have no suspension travel. But thats why these bumpstops are important and I would not cut them if you ask me.

I will dig deeper into this when i get my car and put it on my lift at home. My Hartge springs are arriving Monday so thats the direction Im heading.

For all guys on the west coast I myself drive in the horid NYC roads and others in the North East do as well so this is a relevant topic.

Dr. hang tight when I get my car apart we can talk further.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Interesting replies I think all you CA guys have them cut to slam the car but the bumpstops are designed for a reason. They act as springs themselves and are rated according to their respective colors and hardness.

years back in 2003 I had a Jaguar S Type R. I installed an Arden Suspension, springs and shocks and new bumpstops I was shocked when i removed the front struts from the car, even the OEM set up their was .50 of the strut shaft showing thats how tight the tolerance was on the suspension. I was like how can this be because the car rode so smoothly yet it appeared to have no suspension travel. But thats why these bumpstops are important and I would not cut them if you ask me.

I will dig deeper into this when i get my car and put it on my lift at home. My Hartge springs are arriving Monday so thats the direction Im heading.

For all guys on the west coast I myself drive in the horrid NYC roads and others in the North East do as well so this is a relevant topic.

Dr. hang tight when I get my car apart we can talk further.
Phil,

I just ordered my Eibach's and should have them by week's end. I will be awaiting word from you on the stops, since you'll probably install the springs before I do. My thoughts on this are that most of the guys here probably paid someone to do their springs and never even thought about the bump stops or even know what they are in the first place.

Can I drive up there so you can put my springs in for me? I'll help!

The gas to get there, however, might cost more than if I just get them done locally. :7:

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Dinan springs come with new (shorter) bump stops as part of the package. this would suggest to me that Dinan's engineering indicates that shorter bump stops are necessary for proper suspension travel, otherwise why go to the cost and effort to include them with the springs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Dinan springs come with new (shorter) bump stops as part of the package. this would suggest to me that Dinan's engineering indicates that shorter bump stops are necessary for proper suspension travel, otherwise why go to the cost and effort to include them with the springs.
I fully agree that it is common sense that if you lower your car and inch in front, for example, you should probably cut the stops a bit, even if it's only 0.75". Since the after-market springs are stiffer than OEM, you could get away with not cutting a full inch off. And if you do cut a full inch off, no big deal. The stops are about 3 inches long, front and rear.

Since the rear-end of the M5 doesn't get lowered that much on the H&R's or Eibach's, I wouldn't expect I'd have to cut much of anything back there. The rear struts tend to have more travel than the fronts do. At least on my 530xi that was the case.

Even after I cut almost 2 inches off my stops on the xi, with a mere inch of stop remaining, I still had at most 1/2" of strut travel afterwards. I was surprised, like Phil said above about his old Jag, by how little room BMW gives you up front for strut travel, even with OEM springs.

We'll see the answer once Phil get his car on his lift and tears things apart. I'd still welcome some more feedback here from people who have done the install themselves or at least watched it being done.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Why not just call H&R and ask?

Here is there # 888-827-8881.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not just call H&R and ask?

Here is there # 888-827-8881.
I didn't order H&R's this time due to the disaster of a ride I had on my old xi, and their website states, for the xi at least:

"Improved handling and a more aggressive appearance. Sport springs feature more control than that of the OE Sport spring, but is still comfortable for daily use." :7:

Well, they screwed up that design big time! It was the worst riding car of my life, and it lowered it so much I barely had any struts in the front. I won't be buying any springs from them in the future.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You 100% positive you installed 530xi and not 530i springs?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
100% without a doubt...checked the ID on the springs when I had to cut the stops...CORRECT per H&R for xi.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, I got my Eibach Pro-Kit springs today. There were no instructions included with anything specific about cutting the stops. I called Eibach, and they stated that if there are no specific or "extra" instructions to do so, then you don't have to. However, I don't know how much I trust some lady receptionist who answers the questions there (no offense to any ladies on here). :hihihi:

I found one piece of advice from a moderator on a non-BMW forum who stated this: "You should NEVER cut your bump stops on your car unless your springs instructions specifically tell you to."

Since I got very few suggestions or answers here, I did my own measurements.

The pre-drop strut travel distance in the front is 1.625". My Eibach front drop (according to Eibach) equals 1.2". That will leave me with only 0.425" of strut travel afterwards. So, at the very least, I know I won't be sitting on the stops, but close to it.

Is this an acceptable amount of travel, due to the higher spring rates of the Eibach's? Or should I cut 0.5" or more off the stops? That is the question. :confused:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts