BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I need caps and rotors, and I normally would think why not replace the wires...

but wires for $365?? Are you kidding me?? that's $60 per wire....

Pls shed some lights.

Thanks,

·
10,458 Posts
i'd say probably no. You can test them with an ohm meter, not sure what the specs should be but probably posted here somewhere.

When i did my 'tune up', i kept the wires as is for now.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I changed the cap and rotor arm which was a huge improvement but after a week or so I started to get misfires again so I changed the leads as well. Once the leads were changed the difference was dramatic - much smoother low down and more power at the top end.
My car had done 130k miles and was on its original lead set. I know its alot of money but you will probably never need to change them again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I had a rough idle and it misfired a little on top. When I changed the wires, the car ran excellent. So if you dont experience these problems maybe you dont need to. I changed the cap and rotor first then when I noticed that the misfire was still there I went for the wires.

·
10,458 Posts
hmm, maybe i should change my wires!

·
Registered
320 Posts
hmm, maybe i should change my wires!
Ok guys don't laugh at me now! :)

mottati,
You can check them at nite: take the wire cover of start your engine let it run a bit make it pitchblack in your garage and watch the wire very closely for lightnings :eek: for about 5-10 minutes
Hope that help,

Kris,

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You can check them at nite: take the wire cover of start your engine let it run a bit make it pitchblack in your garage and watch the wire very closely for lightnings :eek: for about 5-10 minutes Hope that help said:
Dont forget to vent the exhaust gases if you do this or you will be very dead indeed. Just a reminder :)
Lets be safe out there...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know this is hard but just change every thing once and for all. You will notice the great change in preformance and smoothness i think its worth it, maybe look around for a cheaper price but I highly recomend you do it.

·
10,458 Posts
Ok guys don't laugh at me now! :)

mottati,
You can check them at nite: take the wire cover of start your engine let it run a bit make it pitchblack in your garage and watch the wire very closely for lightnings :eek: for about 5-10 minutes
Hope that help,

Kris,

That beats standing in a puddle of water and touching them with your tongue any day!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know I need caps and rotors, and I normally would think why not replace the wires...

but wires for $365?? Are you kidding me?? that's $60 per wire....

Pls shed some lights.

Thanks,

MSRP on the set from BMW is $653, so $365 isn't so bad. I see Pelican Parts has 'em for $355.50. And if you want an OE set mileoneparts.com has 'em for $522.40.

Wires don't last forever. And after 18 years and 110k miles I'm sure yours aren't as good as they should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts