BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 M5 w/ 42k miles. The car is very sound so far. I have had to fix a lot of little things (power steering hoses, cupholders, etc) but nothing major yet. I am still within the window to purchase a warranty extension that will carry me to 80k miles. Has anyone with a warranty extension made any major claims on it, or am I safe to go self-insured??

·
Registered
184 Posts
80k mile warranty? Your reference to the window suggests that you're referring to the BMW extended warranty, but that's a 6/100 warranty. I'm also not sure how your car could still be under the factory warranty if it's an '00 with 42k, which suggests that you already have a 3rd party warranty.??????

I think most people on this board would highly recommend an extended warranty of some sort given the high cost of repairs and relative frequency of problems. Do a search and you'll find tons of opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought a 7 year/100k extended warranty when I bought my '00 new, which is very uncharacteristic for me, as my impression is that the policies are rip offs.

So, a few months ago, a cam sensor goes, and I make my first claim on my extended warranty. Of course, claim denied, "we don't cover cam sensors", though the paperwork says engine management systems included. (Warrantech)

My original impression of extended warranties is unchanged. I hope your experience is better than mine.

Steve
00 M5

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you can get any extended warranty from a manufacturerer then I would have to say grab it with both hands .. after market warranties are another storey.

I work for an Auto club here in Oz and we have just launched a warranty product so it will be interesting to see how that goes ... 36 months for AUD$855. I will probably sign up my beast to it and see how things go.

I think they get you with classing things as 'normal wear and tear', pretty much anything that moves is wear and tear?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
IMHO, you definitely need one. On average, it pays off in the long run. The maintainance in the Beast is very expensive, and things tend to go bad over the years/miles (MY 00 especially).

If a warrantee extension is still available for you through BMW NA, purchase that, otherwise, go to a trusted third party name like AAA or 1sourceauto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The warranty I am looking at is a Mercury warranty (same company as Mercury Ins.). My factory warranty has expired, but due to it being a low mile 2000 model year car I am eligible for an extended warranty, of the following durations; 3yr/36k or 4yr/50k. The policy seems very thorough in what is covers, and does cover smaller things like Cam sensors.

I think I will proceed in getting it, as from everyones responses it seems like cheap insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have extended warranty on my 2000 M5. I renewed in June for 970 pounds.

So far since June...

New instument Cluster due to dead Pixels.
New front cup holders.
New rear cup holders.
2 x New MAF sensors after lengthy dealer inspection into problem.

Thats my warranty outlay paid for and it's September the 1st. I would agree warranty is the way to go. Shall see if anything else goes wrong before June next year!

Cheers

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts