BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 2006 M5 and noticed today that I have on my speedometer dash two little LED lights. From doing a little research they look like the K40 lights and I checked the front of the car and I do see the small rectangular K40 box. I do not see any boxes in the rear (if it's there it was a d*am good install). My question is this... How do I turn the system on? Do I need to by that Calibre remote to do this? I do not see a knob of any sort any where to turn it on.

Every now and then I hear a three step chime that does not seem to be coming from the M5's computer system as no message is displayed. At first I thought this was just the system alerting about blue tooth connectivity to my iPhone but just today I was driving the M5 pretty hard and the chime went off, right as I turned the corner a cop was right there... Was this a coincidence? I doubt it... The only thing is, the LEDs do not light up at all ever and I doubt a three step chime is what a K40 system is going to sound like when it's trying to alert you about radar.

I am going to take it to a K40 dealer tomorrow but wanted to post up on here to see if anyone can help me figure this out.

Thanks !!! (By the way, I luv this f*$^%^n car !!!!!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
If the LEDs are in a tear drop shaped pod then yes its from the K40, the installs are very clean the rear detector is usually installed behind the rear bumper where it can't be seen and the control is a very small knob installed under the dash below the steering, not very easy to reach while driving.

I have it installed and it works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called a K40 dealer and they offered to check it out today. Will post with thier findings.

I checked all over the place yesterday night for a switch of some sort and could not find anything... Must be a really good installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I have a CALIBRE K40 system !!! All I had to do was buy the remote, it's equipped with the lazer diffuser as well. They told me the whole setup would have been $1500 !!! I couldn't have had better news today !!! :blabla:

·
Registered
174 Posts
What luck!!! The chime you hear may be the notification at the top of the hour. Look at your clock next time and see if it lines up. Accessable via iDrive to turn it off if it bothers you.

Long Live the Beast!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts