BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Do I Don't I

774 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  SeeSure
Ok it's the age old question but i'm going to ask anyway....

I would love to buy a second hand M5 my budget would be about £18k which means at best if searching i can find a 2000 model with about 65k on the clock.
I want to keep it for 3 years and will do around 20k miles a year in it- mainly motorway.
I will then need to sell it and based on my financials i would need to get around £8k for it when i resell- difficult to call right, but any ideas on if i am crazy are welcome.
Some other questions...
1) Do i have to take it to BMW ? can i get it serviced cheaper elsewhere or do i need BMW expertise to make sure job is done correctly ?

2) If i was to budget around £1500 a year to look after her- is it too little (20k miles a year!)
3) How reliable are they- should i expect between 65k to 125k miles a few major things will go wrong or are there some stories of cars that just run without problem- i've seen so many with 'new engine from BMW just fitted' that it's scary?

I know it's a lot of info to ask. I know there is no definitive answer. but feedback is welcome.

I just ran an S Stype Jag 3.0 V6 for 2 years and 45k miles with nothing more than oil change services and one set of brakes at my local garage. i was amazed but am guessing that running an M5 is going to be far more complicated.
But i SOOOOO want one.

Thanks
Simbad
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
617 Posts
Hello Simbad,
I'll give you my opinion on your questions, but I am not an expert - and I'm sure others will also reply.

First of all, it seems like your budget is very low for an E-39 M5. But perhaps if you look, you will find the right car at the right price.

You do NOT have to have your car serviced at a BMW Dealership. However, the M5 is a very complicated car and independant service shops MAY not have the knowledge to service it properly. I have a trusted BMW shop that I probably will let do the service after the warranty expires on mine. I wouldn't even think of letting a "general" mechanic with no BMW specific training to touch my M.:nono:

As far as ongoing maintenance costs, other members will have to give you input on that. Most of our cars are still under original or extended warranty. But if something breaks, expect it to be EXPENSIVE!:crying:
Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.