BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, bit the bullet. Next pay check imminent.

Car went into Birds of Uxbridge on Monday. They've already done the clutch, said it was indeed warn fairly badly and recon that could account for some of my perceived power loss. They do still find that she is down on power. Doing the diagnostics now.

I'm stretching the budget anyway but have a funny feeling if it comes down to MAF of O2 I wont be able to resist, and will just go for it.
Cheap Christmas presents all round
cept me hmmm

Got that funny trepidation / excited feeling.

:confused3

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Keep us posted Dan. Why not get them to supercharge it whilst it's there?! :hihi:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:hihi:

Gona leave that for Rog & Dave. The zest with which Dave approached Birds probably means their on the back foot thinking of *new* stuff. Then when Rog mentioned that they were thinking again about SC I've got a funny feeling Daves seriously considering >> Dave ?

I got some work to do before I come up to par on you *norms* out there hihalet alone think seriously about beyond.

Having said that, complete SuperSprint is pencilled in for appraoch to next summer.

Its all about how long I can stand to eat rice and water :grrrrr: - well not quite. Jesus this cars going to make me work hard :haha2:

·
Registered
616 Posts
stumbo said:
:hihi:

Having said that, complete SuperSprint is pencilled in for appraoch to next summer.
Not a TUBI... :confused3

Have you got a short shift Kit installed ? - do that straight away... best/cheapest/most effective mod!

You'll appreciate that mod with every gear change!!!! :noSMG:

·
Registered
355 Posts
As soon as I know about whether the DB9 Volante is a go/no go, I'll be having the supercharger discussion with Birds.........

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I heard that the DB9's have got trouble with.....
hhhmmm ....... sex appeal :hihihi: !!!

I don't know.... anything, you gota do the SC :haha:

Kevin at Birds called me today.
>>
Diagnostics reports frequent intermittent misfire on most cylinders on one bank. They had already diagnosed a slight oil leak on the RH bank, valve cover gasket. Originally decided to fix next year since only slight. However they think there may be a chance of it having an effect since the spark plug sunk holes in the block had some of the residue (not sure how much) of this oil along with grime and dirt all over the plugs.

They're replacing the plugs and vacuuming the grime out.

If it fixes the problem (optimistic for once
) it means it *was* either the plugs or *is* the oil leakage.

If the problem returns after a few weeks/months, its the leakage effecting the plugs.

If the problem never goes away, ahh well onto the next thing

Birds are proving they apply the correct approach, plugs are cheaper than many other things, start there.

Slightly ashamed I didn't start there my self hmmm

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
What plugs are you getting?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Not sure - Birds just said standard BMW spec for the car.

Ok

So plugs changed, grime and oil cleaned. Car aparently behaved very differently.

Diagnositcs now show a clear fault, not the previous <birds-quote>intermitent miss fires all over the place</birds-quote>

Fault? Cam shaft sensor.

Damage to my wallet ? :sad1:

3 hour initial investigation and report
New clutch
:) Dodgy side light replacement
:) Further investigation on power loss
:) Changed plugs and cleaned up plung sink holes.
:sad1: Further diagnosis
Cam shaft sensor.

All in including VAT, just under £1.5k .... ouch :crying:.

But of any car I've ever known, shes worth it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
stumbo said:
Not sure - Birds just said standard BMW spec for the car.

Ok

So plugs changed, grime and oil cleaned. Car aparently behaved very differently.

Diagnositcs now show a clear fault, not the previous <birds-quote>intermitent miss fires all over the place</birds-quote>

Fault? Cam shaft sensor.

Damage to my wallet ? :sad1:

3 hour initial investigation and report
New clutch
:) Dodgy side light replacement
:) Further investigation on power loss
:) Changed plugs and cleaned up plung sink holes.
:sad1: Further diagnosis
Cam shaft sensor.

All in including VAT, just under £1.5k .... ouch :crying:.

But of any car I've ever known, shes worth it :thumbsup:
just had a cam sensor replaced on my car too, believe me, it makes a big difference to the power afterwards, very strong midrange now.

good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers SSD,

I get the car back on Monday, or as soon after that as I can get over to Uxbridge, bit busy at work at the moment.

I hate waiting.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading that "M3 or M5?" thread, I'm seriously twitching. I just want her back. Its pathetic isn't it, its only been 8 days, god knows what Black M5 & Abdulla feel like after their mammoth projects.

I seriously need a target outside London for next weekend. Anything, I might go and look at a town I've never been to....in Yorkshire.... or perhaps just the countryside around it :hihi:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Dan I'm driving down to Brussels on Saturday to finalise my E60 order - care to join me for a daytrip?!

:byebye:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hhhmmmm, that sounds very appealing, except for one really anoying element - I don't have a passport at the moment.

Otherwise a tandem road trip was exactly what I needed. :blink:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I'll start a new thread :cool:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Monday I get a call from Pinder @ Birds.
Birds "All done sir."
Me "And the cam shaft sensor? has that helped ?"
Birds "Oh yes sir"

Got a call a little later in the day.

"The Check Engine light has come back on sir, miss-fires on cylinders 5 & 6, we need to investigate further"

At this point I explained that the total cost that I owed them at this point was all I could afford. I may have suggested that I still needed to round up a few drug pushers and pimps in the Cross, and shake em down in order to get the full amount (San Andreas style - sorry in the blood at the moment ).

Pinder assured me that any further diagnostic work would not push the total over the agreed amount.

Got a phone call Tuesday.

"Its the left bank catalytic converter sir"

Which was not too big a surprise, Hexagon BMW - Kentish Town, had (claimed to :confused: ?) taken off the cat and tested it, and told me it was on the way out.

So it tallies up, and makes sense.

"What makes you think that the symptoms addressed earlier as cam shaft sensor replacement were not actually due to the cat" I ask.

Pinders response was immediately; apparently they could replicate the camshaft sensor alert from very low revs. However they could only replicate the cat alert (their take on the symptoms) at much higher revs.
Conclusion, two separate issues.

So got the car back, but in the new year I need to replace the cat.

1. I want to replace both cats - if ones gone, the other wont be far behind.
2. Birds talked me out of upgrading to SuperSprint initially. Matt there was correct in that I should seek to get to a pre-mod baseline before starting mods - if I can. As a result he suggested the cheapest option was seeing if anybody had upgraded exhaust (and cats) recently, where I might be able to buy the old cats off them.

Hence my new thread.

Car feels the same, still nursing the clutch, so can't tell on that yet.

But I feel happier I now know with confidence what the problem is.

P.S. I was expecting £1.5k, Matt had massaged the numbers and gave me a bill for £1.2k the charming fellow. Still hurt but that helped.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think Tin has got enough OEM parts in his garage to build a whole car.........!! Doubt he carted back the cats from Italy though.......

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
rogbacon said:
I think Tin has got enough OEM parts in his garage to build a whole car.........!! Doubt he carted back the cats from Italy though.......
lol.. yep got everything back from my european moddin visit, oem headers/cats, 4 oem camshafts, 32 hydralic lifters, and one empty wallet. :sad1:
but one very big grin! :1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts