BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase/import a US M5 into Canada. BMW Canada requires us to have the DRL's turned on by law. HOWEVER they are requiring us to swap out the miles cluster to a Kms cluster at $3300 a pop.
Which is total BS as the cluster swap is not needed as the DRL's are programmable.
Just wondering if any of you have them on already?
Thx

·
Registered
543 Posts
The dealer can program this, I had it done on my E46 M3.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
They all come with DRL's. It is your option to have the dealer turn them off.

Mark

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Do a search for this - about 10 other people have tried as well.

While you are correct, the DRL's are programmable, apparently BMW Canada is pretty much refusing to sign the certification papers without the km speedo.

d-

·
Registered
151 Posts
if the speedo has both miles and KM on it, it should be fine. I didn't have to change my speedo when importing the car.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Mine had DRLs on when I bought it, and I had them turned off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the speedo has both miles and KM on it, it should be fine. I didn't have to change my speedo when importing the car.
How long ago did u import yours? Who did u take it to to have the import inspection done?
If u have any tips or advice...It is very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do a search for this - about 10 other people have tried as well.

While you are correct, the DRL's are programmable, apparently BMW Canada is pretty much refusing to sign the certification papers without the km speedo.

d-
Yes,thank you. I shouldn't assume I'm the only one importing. I found a couple very informative threads!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Importing M5?

I have just finnished importing mine, and BMW is being a real pain in the *** now. I work for a dealership and have imported hundreds of cars. BMW used to be one of the best to deal with, but since the dollar has changed so much and the dealers are feeling it, they have come out with a bunch of crapy money grabs. 400 for a compliance letter, 350 for DRL, and they will charge you 250 if they are already turned on... yes 250 to check if your car is equiped. stupid since all they have to do is turn the car on. Also a 2-3 month waiting period to get your car booked in to BMW. I booked 1 1/2 mos ago and my apt is still not untill mid march. Then when its in the shop you can order yor recall letter... another 500.

But maybe a little good news, my undrstanding is that you only have to change your cluster if the car has I Drive.

If you would like you can send me a message and I can give you all the advice you need. Also I can let you know who to deal with for your OOC and OOP inspections.

Good luck

Shawn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts