BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my m5 but it was ran down a guard rail so the drivers side rear door is in subpar shape and ive thought about getting a new one from a part out place near me. I was wondering if any 5 series door of the same year would work. Do they use the same speaker systems and wiring ETC? would love to know!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry, just noticed this is e60. From my days of having one I’m pretty sure the doors are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hmmm - not sure about that.
When I had my 08 E60 M5 we also had a 08 550i (with the M-Sport package). The main difference I recall was the more gloss-like trim around the M5 windows. I do not recall the 550i having that.
Both cars had the rear-sunshades - so those worked the same.
My M5 did not have rear airbags, not did the 550i - that is a potential difference, if applicable.
Both cars had comfort access so that was the same.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Sheet metal is the same. Trim is not.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
is it possible to switch out the trim? my trim is in good condition just not the panel
Likely, but I have not done it. You need to consult with a body shop or just poke around youtube and see if that is an option.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
be very careful when swapping out the exterior trim (shadowline trim) it bends really easily during removal and will have small kinks in it once reinstalled so be wary of that. but yes, you can simply pry it off with a plastic trim removal tool and carefully put it on your new door. interior trim pieces are all held in with little clips so thats much easier to do. be mindful of your electronic components when swapping over.

lastly, get help when putting the door on so you dont scratch or damage the car or door while aligning the bolts.

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
I’ve fully stripped 4 doors down to the metal. I have all 4 from a ‘10 M5 in carbon black metallic if you’re interested and somewhere in the northeast. It’s like 6 hours to fully strip each door, not including quarter window removal. Probably longer if you’ve never done it before. About half of the shadow line trim can be saved the other half you can’t. I also removed the quarter window which is urethaned in but I have a special induction heater to help remove these types of things (you want to leave the window in unless the rubber seal around the window has crumbled). The vertical B pillar appliqué comes off pretty easily and is secured with screws under the window seal. you want to retain the original on the M5 since these fade with UV and a new one will contrast very sharply with the driver door appliqué. The vertical divider with the quarter window also comes out easy enough as well, it’s also secured with a screw. The horizontal trim is a basically impossible to remove without bending and kinking, it’s a rubber coated U channel with fingers that seat on the door window flange. It’s kind of a one way thing. You can’t really straighten it back out, it will be curved and not seat flush. Also since it’s been on the door for 10-14 years it’s kinda hard to get off. BMW has a special tool which kinda slides over that trim and allows you to pull the seal flatly, but it’s not worth it. That piece is only like 50-70, so just get a new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve fully stripped 4 doors down to the metal. I have all 4 from a ‘10 M5 in carbon black metallic if you’re interested and somewhere in the northeast. It’s like 6 hours to fully strip each door, not including quarter window removal. Probably longer if you’ve never done it before. About half of the shadow line trim can be saved the other half you can’t. I also removed the quarter window which is urethaned in but I have a special induction heater to help remove these types of things (you want to leave the window in unless the rubber seal around the window has crumbled). The vertical B pillar appliqué comes off pretty easily and is secured with screws under the window seal. you want to retain the original on the M5 since these fade with UV and a new one will contrast very sharply with the driver door appliqué. The vertical divider with the quarter window also comes out easy enough as well, it’s also secured with a screw. The horizontal trim is a basically impossible to remove without bending and kinking, it’s a rubber coated U channel with fingers that seat on the door window flange. It’s kind of a one way thing. You can’t really straighten it back out, it will be curved and not seat flush. Also since it’s been on the door for 10-14 years it’s kinda hard to get off. BMW has a special tool which kinda slides over that trim and allows you to pull the seal flatly, but it’s not worth it. That piece is only like 50-70, so just get a new one.
are you selling the door panels? if so please let me know

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
yes, I have pics but haven’t listed them anywhere because they’re kinda if a pain to ship. The rears are only 17 lbs and fronts 19 as I recall. I assume for any of these they would be repainted if you can do the prep yourself you save a lot of money. I’ve done some body work and painting before. Good paint job is all in the prep. You can send me a PM and I’ll dig out my pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts