BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my car to 2 different Motor vehicles and 2 different private inspection spots in New Jersey and the car cannot communicate with the state computer. The car has no modifications besides a dinan section 3 exhaust, rpi scoops, Led license plate and angel eyes. The cars OBD communicates with the dealers computer, the generic computer and the bmw specific computer. The only issue I have with the car is that when using the navigation and clicking on new destination the screen freezes and restarts. The car has no aftermarket tunes or check engine lights. Also the previous owner says the car was inspected a year ago in Massachusetts Motor Vehicles. Any ideas why this could be happening?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an update on my little problem. Looks like this is a very uncommon problem. No dealer was able to help and BMW NA had no clue what to do lol. I took it to my Local trustworthy Bmw Master Tech and he says that the car should have a 25Volt reading in order for the State Computers to read. Says that there are two wires giving him low voltage. He is tracking them down to see if there is a bad connection and see if that will fix the problem. I hope this makes sense to anyone.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved. Car needed a software upgrade. The dealer said the car already had it done, but I guess it didn't. It cost me $280 to do this so my question now is since I bought it from a private dealer and they're suppose to guarantee inspection. Should they be responsible for this bill?

·
Registered
759 Posts
so my question now is since I bought it from a private dealer and they're suppose to guarantee inspection. Should they be responsible for this bill?
I know nothing about NJ DMV laws, but you may have a good case, if as you state, the selling dealer is responsible for the successful DMV inspection upon a sale. You know a good lawyer?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know nothing about NJ DMV laws, but you may have a good case, if as you state, the selling dealer is responsible for the successful DMV inspection upon a sale. You know a good lawyer?
I just sent the dealer an email explaining everything with the car and attached the invoice of what was done to get the car inspected. They're sending me a check the next business day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts