BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my newly acquired car ready for my emissions test when I ran the DMTL test this error popped up.

I've replaced the gas cap at this point and now i'm not sure what other "common" failure points there are.

One thing I've noticed is that after filling up a few minutes after driving it'll show an error on the dash about the gas cap being loose. I've checked and rechecked the cap and it's never actually loose.

The car is a 2006 M5 with 90k miles. What are some common areas I can look at for a "minor leak"?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, my bad, how'd I end up in the e39 forum?!

Is there a way to move it over to the E60 forum?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hm, this guy (just realized it's you:) ) has a lot more issues than I do, other than the "cap is loose" error and then eventually a dmtl minor leak I have no other issues.

Though, I do have a random cyl8 misfire which is actually not present right now.

you think I need to check my TEVs? guess one of them could be bad.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My issues started with the Gas cap, and progressed to the increased emissions over time (at least a year).
The two final repairs were the fuel tank vent valves and vacuum leak which were done at the same time.
I suggest having it smoke tested for vacuum leaks and changing the fuel tank vent valves. Both of these are relatively inexpensive. As well, the stealer will try a bunch of other stuff that will cost you al lot more before doing these two relatively cheap fixes.
At the very least, discuss the possibility and show them my thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I replaced my gas cap already, no change.

I'm not taking the car to a shop, I'll be doing all the work myself. Just trying to get ideas for problem areas before I start looking around.

I have an ultrasound detector maybe it can help me locate the leak.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, I'll start poking around this weekend and i'll let you know what I find.

Hopefully I find the leak someplace simple, like maybe the fuel pump/filter seals under the rear seats and don't have to pull the intakes, those things look like a pain to remove!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts