BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went into my DME today (2000 e39 M5) to finish up the wiring for my efan, which is taking me forever for some reason), two things

1) which harness has the ignition wire on it, and what color is the wire?

2) on the 1st connector on the far left (going from passenger fender looking towards the driver side), there is a red/blue wire, that the former owner patched into, and just left the wire hanging out of the dme (weird??). I am not sure if this is some sort of alarm lead, or former audio signal connection maybe. I am going to disconnect it, but just want to make sure what the wire is (please see PIC # 2)

3) when replacing my power steering reservoir I noticed a unseated plug running down the driver side fender, that I have no idea what it is for. please see pic (please see PIC # 1)

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
#3 That looks like the hood switch connector for the alarm. Look for the switch on the front of the air cabin filter. The switches fail and the fast fix is just to unplug it.

#1 you want power on when the key is in position 2 or when the engine is running? What load is going to be drawn by what you are hooking up?

#2 no idea but what wire is it connected too. It is red and blue but he added it. What color is iy hooked to and which connector is it from?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#2,the oem wire is red/blue. The soldered wire is black, and it was just hanging out of the DME box unattached. That's why I thought maybe it was a aftermarket alarm or something that was disconnected.

Thanks for the help, on #1, it is a power lead for my rk autowerks efan

·
Registered
638 Posts
2. That wire (red/blue) supplies a constant 12V to the DME. Whoever did that should be laid on your lap and disciplined with a leather belt while looking at that picture.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I just remove it, and heat shrink the exposed copper. Why would someone tap a 12v line and then just let it hang out like that. That could have caused a fire. Glad I just happened to get in the DME and found it.

Is there a DME wiring guide somewhere?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Here's the wring diagram for the e-box fan. The power supply is the red/white wire coming from F2 in the nearby fuse carrier.

E-box fan.JPG

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Rk engineers things so I would suggest you follow their instructions. I would hook it up exactly as they want in case it did not work correctly. Email them and ask them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I meant electronic fan, the one that replaces the clutch fan in the engine bay. In the instructions from rk autowerks, it states that the the orange trigger wire needs to tap into a red/white wire in the backside of the ecu box. That's what I was looking for in question#1 in the op. Really appreciate the help so far!!

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Can't say it is the correct wire but I see two red white wires in your pic. They maybe the same wire. One is directly behind the high spot of the red blue wire the other is on the right of the photo, top wire seen. Problem that I have saying anything is there are a few red white wires in the wiring diagrams.
Have a look for yourself.
WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - 5 E39 from 09/98

BTW red white will be RT WS in the diagrams.

There must be more to the description like a pin number?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts