BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is the second time this has come up, first time was with the alternator. We replaced the alternator got rid of a bunch of bul$#@t codes but one still remains only after 4600 klms of driving with the code gone it has now come back. Both O2 sensors are going off at the exact same time... Yes, weird. My car supposedly has a superchip in the DME whether this is true or not I have no idea, I have no idea what to look for. So, I am asking if anyone has ever had this issue, or if anyone can tell me what the hell is going on with my car.

It is sensing on both O2 sensor banks that within 4600 klms are going off with a bad reading 8 times at same rpm on both banks. I can only think of one thing which is connectivity to them and that is the DME. New DME = $5k AUD, not paying that!

ESS - Would be much appreciated if you could tell me what to do.

I dont know if I send the DME to CA Automotive or ESS if the issues will be removed and what has to happen when I get the DME back, does the dealer need to upload software for anything etc?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
First of all, what mods do you have on your car?
2nd of all, what fuel are you using in your car?
3rd of all, did you remote map your ECU or did you send it to Superchip?

I'm sure experts can answer some of your questions, but I think I've got your problem in mind and just trying to make sure I'm down the correct path.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ok, this is the second time this has come up, first time was with the alternator. We replaced the alternator got rid of a bunch of bul$#@t codes but one still remains only after 4600 klms of driving with the code gone it has now come back. Both O2 sensors are going off at the exact same time... Yes, weird. My car supposedly has a superchip in the DME whether this is true or not I have no idea, I have no idea what to look for. So, I am asking if anyone has ever had this issue, or if anyone can tell me what the hell is going on with my car.

It is sensing on both O2 sensor banks that within 4600 klms are going off with a bad reading 8 times at same rpm on both banks. I can only think of one thing which is connectivity to them and that is the DME. New DME = $5k AUD, not paying that!

ESS - Would be much appreciated if you could tell me what to do.

I dont know if I send the DME to CA Automotive or ESS if the issues will be removed and what has to happen when I get the DME back, does the dealer need to upload software for anything etc?

Thanks guys.
We do not normally support non-ESS products, and I would need the exact error codes to diagnose properly. If I were you I would return the SuperChip ECU back to stock software at the dealer and see if problem goes away. If not and the code is O2 sensor malfunction related I would replace them, if it is a catalyst converter inefficiency problem that can be removed from the software.

ECU hardware errors is extremely rare, I have yet to see a MSS60/65/70 go bad.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will scan the print out and post it up. Superchip was done in house at a dealer, that's all I know...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wheel sensor is from the track day when I bounced a little high off the ripple strip...

Bluetooth god knows, it always comes up but still works perfectly fine...

Hope someone knows what the issues are, I am guessing its to do with the superchip. Dealer wants me to buy a new DME at $5k AUD which isnt going to happen.

Dealer has never seen both banks of O2 sensors go off, or at the same times...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, what mods do you have on your car?
2nd of all, what fuel are you using in your car?
3rd of all, did you remote map your ECU or did you send it to Superchip?

I'm sure experts can answer some of your questions, but I think I've got your problem in mind and just trying to make sure I'm down the correct path.
RPI filters, block off plates, scoops
Evosport pulley
Magnaflow custom exhaust with pre cats removed
Eibach spring kit
Superchip

BP ultimate 98 RON fuel

I was told a person came out and put a chip in the DME at a particular dealer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is not a O2 sensor issue. There are no O2 sensor malfunction codes present. Your cats are simply not working due to you having removed them, the Superchips ECU software have not been programmed to remove the cat functionality check.

How on earth could your dealer think it is a ECU error when it is diagnosing cat function low when there are in fact no cats on the car? The ECU is simply doing its job telling you the cats are faulty, or in this case missing.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
This is not a O2 sensor issue. There are no O2 sensor malfunction codes present. Your cats are simply not working due to you having removed them, the Superchips ECU software have not been programmed to remove the cat functionality check.

How on earth could your dealer think it is a ECU error when it is diagnosing cat function low when there are in fact no cats on the car? The ECU is simply doing its job telling you the cats are faulty, or in this case missing.
Aren't his primary cats still intact? If so, his O2 sensors should be reading fine!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
What's "pre-cats"? Are those the cats that are part of the manifold headers?
Does this mean magnaflow make headers?

Are you aware that primary headers have cats in them (which have the 2 pre and 2 post cat sensors)?
Are you aware that the secondary cats are the ones Magnaflow supply which do not have sensors?

Just wanting some clarifications because the OP's problem is not what you think it is!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My exhaust is custom with magnaflow mufflers, and centre muffler/resonator. Pre cats gone, header cats still in tact

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
In that case, your O2 sensors are not triggering a fault due to missing cats!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know its not to do with my cats as I still have catted headers. I can only guess that the DME is playing silly buggers with the O2 sensors for some reason unless it is the superchip.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know its not to do with my cats as I still have catted headers. I can only guess that the DME is playing silly buggers with the O2 sensors for some reason unless it is the superchip.
No, not at all. There is nothing wrong with the ECU hardware or O2 sensors. It is simply doing its job detecting sub-par cat efficiency. If you still have your manifold cats in place (what I thought you ment by pre cats), then either your cats are not functioning properly or the Superchips software you run is modified in such a way that the cats do not clean properly (incorrect AF ratio targets for instance). I would simply reinstall stock software and try, if still not good your cats are most likely damaged.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought the superchip was an actual chip that is soldered in to the DME board... If its a tune I will just get it flashed back to stock at the dealer if that is possible...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would it be easier to get a set of aftermarket headers without cats and do a tune? Or just do a tune which would over ride the cats?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Get a tune to over ride, and gut your cats out!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts