BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

DME/Gas Cap Code(s)

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  RocketLlama9 
#1 ·
I have a couple of recurring codes. I've cleared them and they've come back each time after filling my gas tank. I bought an OEM gas cap from FCPEuro.com a couple of years ago with no issues until recently. From my research, I'm assuming these codes are tied to the gas cap no longer creating a good seal? The timing of the codes reappearing doesn't seem to be just a coincidence.

Here are the recurring codes:
  • 00277B - DME: Fuel-cap signal
  • 0027C3 - DME: DMTL leak detection
& this code recently joined the party:
  • 00275E - DME: Lambda controller, limit position error, bank 2
Being that these are all DME codes, I feel like they are all tied to the same root cause. Would replacing the gas cap under FCPEuro's warranty fix the issue, or is it something else that I overlooked? Wouldn't this technically mess with the AFR and affect power?

#4 ·
It’s not gas cap lol. It’s the two purge valves in the valley of the s85. Replace them, just find the cheapest ones on eBay and use them - that’s what I did. Working clean so far, for over 2 years now.
It causes all kinds of issues with combustion, and emissions.
Interesting. Do you have a thread to share off hand? If not, I’ll search it on the PC after the Super Bowl is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Tough! lol.

They're $12.09/ea on FCP Euro. I'm assuming the hoses do not need to be replaced.
I would plan on replacing them. At 76k mine were fairly stiff and didn't want to leave the old valves, so I had to pry with a screwdriver that munged the hoses on removal. New oetiker clamps too.

#10 ·
The V of the engine bakes things. Whatever floats your boat but you're already there and hoses are cheap.
There are a few threads that go thru the diagnosis of the DMTL system but "emissions issues" reports in the idrive often end up being solenoids. You can also walk thru ISTA troubleshooting by calculating test plans from the fault codes to confirm failed components.

Reactions: sunilshivaram
#11 ·
You can also walk thru ISTA troubleshooting by calculating test plans from the fault codes to confirm failed components.
ISTA kind of said Gas Cap in my case. I used to put on gloves to tighten the gas cap, and after every fill, used to still complain it was loose lol.
I changed the purge valves, and voila! I don't know why every car says its the gas cap prolly.

#13 ·
I haven’t jumped into this job yet because I’m waiting on the Eventuri plenum to come out. Word is that it’ll be released very soon. I just don’t want to have to remove the plenum twice. Lol.

Anyways, now that I’ve been sitting on this job for a few weeks, I began to think. I believe it’s a good time to switch out the fuel injectors as PM. Car is at 97K miles and runs great. Good idea? Is the fuel filter a good complimentary PM item? What about the fuel pump, or is the fuel pump a change as needed item when a fault arises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.