BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It may not bother some people, but it drove me nuts that I had to turn on my parking lights to have my Angel Eyes on. I knew I could wire them up to have them turn on with the ignition with some new plugs and a relay, but I didn't want the error on my dash for a bulb being out when it did not get a pulse return from the missing bulbs. So when Chris (Hdhntr23) explained to me that the Navcoder software would eliminate that, I new it would be pretty easy.....

DISCLAMER: Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible if you let the magic smoke out of your electronics....

Basically, I just ran two new plugs with a 5 amp inline fuse for each Angel Eye bulb powered with 12v+ from the battery and grounded to the chasis. I used a relay to switch 12v+ on and off with the key from a wire under the passanger side cabin filter where the ECU is. (Thank you Peter and Raza) I soldered all of the joints that would be exposed to the elements. I did not solder the connection up in the ECU box because I was afraid of getting a hot soldering gun that close to my ECU, so I just used a crimp butt connector.

Parts list:

(1) 20-30amp relay $10
(2) universal plug $5 each
(4) wire pig tails for the plugs $3 each
(2) wired fuse housings $12
(1) pack of 5amp fuses $5
(100') of 16 gauge red and black wire (you don't need this much, I was making enough for 3 cars; mine, Hdhntr23's and Mx5's) $35 for both
(2) packs of 20' protective loom $20
(1) pack of small black zip ties $7

I did my car first as the guinea pig, then Chris's after we knew it would work. I still need to meet up with Mx5 to get his done. I left the hard work to Chris to change the software so it would ignore the bulb out error. Of course he had that finished in a snap....

Some of the parts I used...

Passanger side cabin filter.

Cabin filter box removed, top of the ECU box.

This is the wire I used, it is about in the middle of the ECU box all the way in the back against the firewall. Red/white stripe wire.

I pulled my ground from the Passanger side shock tower. (my daughter's AWSOME tape job before I made her mad and covered it up with loom)

I used the battery connector on the Driver's side of the engine bay for my 12v+ constant.

Here is the new plug in the Angel Eye bulb with the OEM socket wrapped in plastic and taped up to protect it from the elements.

The same thing on the other side...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Nice write up!
How does it work when you turn the parking lights or headlights on? Still light up?
Matt

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks I think I'll do this.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice write up!
How does it work when you turn the parking lights or headlights on? Still light up?
Matt
Your Angel Eyes will always be on as long as your key is turned onto position 2, the headlight switch no longer controls them, so yes they will still be on. But if you have your car turned off and your headlights on, no they will not be on.

pics of headlights tim?
Will do....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't you just wire this in parrellel with the oem plug so the ecu won't see the bulb out?
I would bet you would still get an error, you have voltage on a bulb that is not suppose to have voltage. Plus I didn't want to take a chance of the voltage back feeding and causing issues....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Raza, best I have right now.....

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Love this mod. Thanks to Tim for thinking of it and working out the logistics. Dont let him fool you when he says the software was the hard part. Those effing looms are the *****. (not really but you get the idea, if anything is hard on this its the looms)

This mod is motivating me to upgrade my angel eyes. Soon as Umnitza stocks the brighter bulbs (mid-June they say) I am ALL over them. Now that they are always on it will look so hot with hyper-white bulbs.

Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dont let him fool you when he says the software was the hard part. Those effing looms are the *****. (not really but you get the idea, if anything is hard on this its the looms)
Haven't really messed with the software but if a shop could shut down the DRLs being on during the day, shouldn't they also be able to eliminate the 'Check side lights' error ? Anyone have any experience with this ?

Any tips on routing the looms or where they were routed ?

Great mod !

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any tips on routing the looms or where they were routed ?

Great mod !
Just run them up next to the OEM wire looms. Stay away from anything hot.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
So am I to understand I need "Navcoder" software for this not to throw an error? Theres gotta be an easier way to do this...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So am I to understand I need "Navcoder" software for this not to throw an error? Theres gotta be an easier way to do this...

Search the forum, it has been discussed several times. There isn't. This mod is not that hard, just time consuming.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
If theres any real expense to this mod its the software. Of course expensive to one person isnt to another its all relative. That was the most expensive thing in the whole mod though.

Now that we have the software, there are other uses for it so to me its paid for itself already.

As far as an easier way to do this as Tim said, this has been discussed ad nauseum. This is the only way that Tim, Mx5 and I could find to get this done.

Like I said earlier this was the main reason I bought the software but there are lots of value adds for me now that I have it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Couldn't you just wire this in parrellel with the oem plug so the ecu won't see the bulb out?
Humm.... I know this was replied to but I think its worth investigating.

I don't think a 'bulb out' error would show up.

The ground is already in place. All you'd be doing is tapping into the 12v power source with one that is switched with ignition.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Humm.... I know this was replied to but I think its worth investigating.

I don't think a 'bulb out' error would show up.

The ground is already in place. All you'd be doing is tapping into the 12v power source with one that is switched with ignition.
One of my main goals in this mod was to not alter the car's wiring as much as possible. I only needed to tap into 1 OEM wire to make this work.

I am guessing, just guessing, that if you do tap into the existing AE socket, and feed a 12v signal to it, it WILL back feed to the ECU. So I am betting you will get a code. I was not willing to chance frying something, so I bypassed that method.

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am guessing, just guessing, that if you do tap into the existing AE socket, and feed a 12v signal to it, it WILL back feed to the ECU. So I am betting you will get a code.
Thats why I think you won't get a code... because it feeds back.

I looked at some wiring diagrams. Terminal 58 feeds both the parking lights/AE and tail lights with 12v. If I tap 12v into the +ve side of the AE, it looks like the tail lights will light up due to the LCMs internal wiring. I don't think you could get around that although there maybe circuitry in there that will prevent this from happening that isn't shown.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While installing AE on an E46, I ran into this issue. If the ECU sees voltage on an output that it isn't suppose to have it, it usually throws a code thinking there is a short.

Like I said, try it and let us know.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
While installing AE on an E46, I ran into this issue. If the ECU sees voltage on an output that it isn't suppose to have it, it usually throws a code thinking there is a short.

Like I said, try it and let us know.....
I'm not going to 'try it' just to determine if a code is thrown or not. Thats not the issue here although .... :haha:

If I tap 12v into the +ve side of the AE, it looks like the tail lights will light up due to the LCMs internal wiring
This is the issue.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no clue why you even brought it up then when it is known to cause issues.....

Like I said, the method I used is very easy, cheap, and only requires 1 splice into the car's harness. If you think there is a better way, please DO IT, post it, and add some good info to this thread. That's what this forum is all about, sharing information.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts