BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I acquired a 2014 comp pack few month ago but quickly got tired of the lack of convenient tech like carplay. Before that I had a 2003 M5 and leased an F90 for a year before letting go of both and getting an F10. Didn't want to get a phone holder as the mirror already takes a lot of space in the front so I looked into retrofitting a newer iDrive but had a hefty price compared to those other solutions that basically hijack your iDrive session and allow you to have apple or android carplay for $500 or less. The interesting thing was that it had wireless capability! So I pulled the trigger and got the unit and installed it. Took a video a long the way for anyone else interested.

Now that the tech issue has been solved in this car, I need to fix the wheel spin :D

This video is more for the kit itself:

This video is for installation:

I used to have an account on here but looks like they purged all old accounts after the website face lift?

Feel free to ask me any question!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Great post.

I'm back on this forum as I'm now considering a 2016 M5.
This forum (vs. the E60 forum that I used to frequent) seems dead. This post has no comments and 2 days old.

It's awesome. Thank you.

Is this forum that slow?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good diy in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really want to do this. I would want the wired version though. Wireless just doesn't work 100% of the time and this is something I'd like to not have to worry about. Running a USB into the armrest would be a nice middle ground where you can keep your phone tucked away, but also hard wired.

I need to find some time to do this because I guarantee the shop will quote me a full day's installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I acquired a 2014 comp pack few month ago but quickly got tired of the lack of convenient tech like carplay. Before that I had a 2003 M5 and leased an F90 for a year before letting go of both and getting an F10. Didn't want to get a phone holder as the mirror already takes a lot of space in the front so I looked into retrofitting a newer iDrive but had a hefty price compared to those other solutions that basically hijack your iDrive session and allow you to have apple or android carplay for $500 or less. The interesting thing was that it had wireless capability! So I pulled the trigger and got the unit and installed it. Took a video a long the way for anyone else interested.

Now that the tech issue has been solved in this car, I need to fix the wheel spin :D

This video is more for the kit itself:

This video is for installation:

I used to have an account on here but looks like they purged all old accounts after the website face lift?

Feel free to ask me any question!
How do you like the system so far? I have an android ... and probably always will. ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts