BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a different look so im taking off my throwingstar covers, and painting the center of the 5spokes black and would really like to do a pollished lip. A friend of mine suggested putting the car on jack stands and turning it on and having a friend give it gas while i hold steal wool against the lip. Does anyone have any better ideas? how do wheel refinishers go about doing polished lips? Do they have a machine that they mount the wheel on and basicaly do the same thing? Im not powder coating them.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
What you're proposing is a monumentally bad idea-- one that could easily end up in your losing a hand; don't do it. Call a professional. (Besides, if you lose a hand finishing your wheels you won't be able to type--- so we won't ever know how they turned out). Just kidding--- but do call a pro. :hihi:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha ok i was just curious. ill probably just do the centers black for now and then have them redone by a pro with the polished lip. im still curious how they do them though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gotcha. thanx 4 the reply

·
Registered
378 Posts
In short the following process is used to professionally polish/paint rims:

1) Chemically strip all existing paint from rim.
2) Glass bead the entire rim surface.
3) Polish the lip accordingly.
4) Thoroughly mask area that has been polished.
5) Prep/Prime/Seal & Paint area accordingly.
6) Bake paint accordingly to thoroughly cure paint if required.

Note that the painting process is done last, as this is the only way to get a perfect edge between the polished and painted areas. Any other method will yield lesser results, as mine still look perfect nearly 6 years after having them done by a local shop here in the Bay Area specializing in such work.

Regards,

Ken Little

·
Registered
118 Posts
flipping 'eck Ken........those look fantastic!.......i am definitely going to get mine refurbed this spring .......properly polished rims (not painted) look excellent ......trouble is, over here the salt and grit in the winter, would kill the finish if the laquer was not perfectly applied.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anyone with experience having the lip polished on M parallels? I believe they came from the factory with polished lips on the 740 series cars but painted on our M5's. If anyone has had it done I would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
klight: do u mind posting a few more pics of your car and rims.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
yeah cept none of them are with the wheel covers off. :(

oh well though. i think im gonna powder coat them all black and turn it into a track car.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here are a few photos of the AW M5 from Jan. ’04 when I was running the 17” factory E34 M5 staggered rims on the car (polished lips of course) without centers. I had left this set-up on the car into last summer before reinstalling the TS covers, which obviously changes the complete look of the car. Now I have factory E34 M5 M Parallels on it and this car now looks completely different once again. I love the look of the factory silver E34 M5 rim on the AW M5 and am now considering something new and different for the MB M5 as well.

Not bad for a set of rims that were polished and painted in the exact manner that I had defined above about six years ago now. Even if I do say so myself. ;-)

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Ken Little
Bay Area M5's

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely stunning. Might I suggest painting your dust caps black to match the wheels though. But yeah. I love the factory m5 wheels so much. Three wheels in one if you have the covers. Like I said. I think I am going to just paint mine solid black with no cover. Hmmmm wonder how they would look with the covers on. P coated covers with a black lip. Would deffinitely be different. Anyways, nice ride. Love the wheels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've hand-polished a set of rims in the past. After 1 wheel I'd had enough and wished I'd just sent them away for a pro to do - it's VERY hard work.

I had them bead-blasted and then polished them with a polishing mop and cutting paste on an electric drill with flexible output shaft. - As I say though I wouldn't recommend it!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the reply. would you happen to have any pics? like i said im probably gonna go all black now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.