BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:
While pressing any one of the three trunk opening switches ( under dash, key, trunk lip ) you could hear a click then a groan. Initially the truck would unlock occationally, but after a week of this behavior, I could only hear a click and strain of the actuator.

Parts need:
New trunk lock actuator. Currently they have discontinued the actuator as a seperate unit, and you have to order the entire lock assembly as a single unit. If you search around, you can still find the actual actuator made by VDO, BMW part number 51 24 8 236 897. And you can reference real oem. Part number 23 on the diagram . http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=41_0055&hg=41&fg=60&hl=76

Tools needed:
Screw driver, T-25 torq driver, paperclip or other small tool to remove plastic cap over screw in trunk handel.

Procedure:
1) remove both body clips on the lower edge of the trunk.
2) remove screw cover inside of the closure handle on the trunklid.
3) remove screw inside trunk handle
4) gently remove internal plastic body covering by pulling directly away from the trunk surface. The remaining clips pop off.
5) remove trunk lock assembly using torq driver.
6) Unclip plastic shroud that is attached to the actuator. It simply snaps off. Then remove the metal wire from the actuator.
7) Rotate the assembly off the metal hook from the mechanical trunk pull and remove.
8) Unplug actuator, then unscrew actuator.
9) remove end cap of actuator by firmly pressing it in the direction where there is a cutout on the end cap.
10) Move endcap to new actuator,
11) reassemble. Enjoy your new powerful trunk actuator.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is there any maintenance for this part similar to the hood latch in order to keep this from happening, or is this just something that goes? I've only seen posts about hood latch maintenance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any maintenance for this part similar to the hood latch in order to keep this from happening, or is this just something that goes? I've only seen posts about hood latch maintenance.

Nothing you can do, simple solenoid failure. Maybe mine is an isolated occurance, or we may see more of these in the future as the car ages.

I had the entire thing swaped out in under 15mins. It was a real pain to use the key to manually open the trunk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good post Mr. Crash! BTW, to those carrying out this r/r. That little spring on the back of the latch broke on mine, so check yours out before you spend the big bucks on the new assembly. I made one fit that was close to the right size and all's fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MrCrashRR, i noticed the latch you removed still has the spring intact. The dealer doesnt sell just the spring, and its hard justifying $180 for the whole assembly if all i need is the spring. Would you be willing to sell the spring off of your old latch?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
If instead your symptom is just that the trunk suddenly won't stay shut and because of that you can't lock the car and activate the alarm, see this thread:
https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e...ed-e39-trunk-actuator-spring-cost-0-89-a.html

For this DIY, in step 2 don't pull/pry at that oval shaped screw cover. Instead turn it with a flathead. I'd add a step 7.5 which is to remove the far anchor point of the connecting rod (see top right in picture here)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts