BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I figured it out. Since the inlet and outlet lines of the cooler are at the bottom of the transmission, one would always get the right level filling up to the fill plug regardless of if you drained the lines or not. Draining the lines does get all the fluid out but I don't think the amount of old fluid in the lines will do any harm long term. It will all get drained eventually with multiple fluid changes. Please correct me if I am wrong!

I am still confused about draining the transmission cooler lines. I have access to DIS so I will be draining the lines but I am trying to understand the logic behind getting an accurate oil level. As someone pointed out, in theory aren't you overfilling the transmission if you aren't draining the lines? And vice versa, if you are filling the transmission till the fill plug after draining the lines, aren't you under-filling?

·
Registered
252 Posts
How does the transmission fluid change differ on the 6-speed?

Where is the new fluid added?

·
Registered
110 Posts
just how different is this procedure on the smg?? Anyone have a link or anything to a thread as helpful as this one, only for the smg?? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
651 Posts
just how different is this procedure on the smg?? Anyone have a link or anything to a thread as helpful as this one, only for the smg?? Much appreciated!
This write up is for the smg trans. Notice the cooler? The 6 speed cars don't have/need one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Still would love to hear about what it takes to change the fluid in the 6-speed...

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok, the beast is on stands, plastic is removed. Just to clarify, the cooler filter bolt is the black one that is inline with one of the hoses?? also, when i loosen it, should i expect and fluid to come out? thanks!

81 - 88 of 88 Posts