BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Update this brand would work in the transmission. I am going to have the transmission flushed Saturday and fluid replaced with redline MTL.

I had the SMG hydraulic fluid changed with CHF11s, car is still shifting hard with hesitation.

My question is what is the difference in shifting between bad transmission fluid vs a worn clutch? My shop is saying the clutch may be bad. Financially, replacing the trans fluid first is a no brainer but how do I determine if my clutch/clutch release bearing is bad vs needing a transmission flush?

The car is not giving off any codes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
One more tip

Just another tip for the trans fluid change. I did mine yesterday I have the unfair advantage of a lift and an automatic fill pump. But to gain more room to get to the trans fill plug gentle remove the three electrical connections from their plastic drive tunnel mount and unbolt the mount. By doing this you can get a 3/8 drive racket and 8mm Hex in there easy.

Cheers

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is transmission/clutch adaptation necessary after performing a gear oil change?
Or it's just a simple drain and fill operation? Thanks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks to all the contributors to this so far!

Did the flush last night; I used the MTL as well. Took about 2 hours total from pulling in the garage

Knowing that I would have .3L left over, I tossed the .3L new fluid into the trans and flushed it through the pump/lines after draining the original fluid out of the trans & cycling the pump, THEN refilled the trans afterward after dropping out the .3L again. After buttoning everything back up, I ran full SMG adaption, spirited test drive, then re ran SMG adaptation with the trans at temp.

Before the flush, I had an issue with shift quality slowly declining as the car was driven (as the trans temp increased.). It would shift buttery smooth when cold, and crappy when it warmed up. After test driving again this morning, this has since been alleviated. I still have some shifting issues hopefully due to the TOB/CRB galling, but I'll address that when the clutch is due.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Is transmission/clutch adaptation necessary after performing a gear oil change?
Or it's just a simple drain and fill operation? Thanks!
Depends, software or no software?

You can get away with a simple drain and fill, but it will not be complete. Many have gotten by as you can see...

If you can get access to the software, I highly recommend it for the sake of being thorough. I did the adaptations and noticed a difference afterwards; the only question is whether the change is due to the fluid or having run the adaptations. This car is my baby, I will cut no corners and be as thorough as possible. These cars are subject to enough problems by nature as it is...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys,

My M6 SMG has had the SMG and diff service 40.000kilometers ago. BMW states the service needs to be performed every third oil change, meaning around 60.000 to 90.000Km. I figured this is quite a lot.

How long do you guys go between the SMG and diff fluid changes?

I used the search engine but couldn't much about how long the intervals should be.

·
2,132 Posts
Hi guys,

My M6 SMG has had the SMG and diff service 40.000kilometers ago. BMW states the service needs to be performed every third oil change, meaning around 60.000 to 90.000Km. I figured this is quite a lot.

How long do you guys go between the SMG and diff fluid changes?

I used the search engine but couldn't much about how long the intervals should be.
Every 30-45K miles for Trans oil and diff fluid change for me..

·
Registered
267 Posts
I brought the car in for a transmission fluid flush today. And WOW what a difference it makes! The car used to be sluggish between shifts and now it's so smooth and quick!!!
My M5 has 60k miles, and I believe the trans fluid was never changed. The tech said it was dark and the filter screen was filled with debris as well.

I went with Pentosin MTF-LT-2 (3 bottles) with new washers (part# 07119963300, you will need 3 total)

Have your M5 done if you're experiencing sluggish between shifts!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Saw this guide and did mine today. Used DIS to activate the transmission pump and get that bit out of the lines - it's a fair bit extra!

Anyways, not a hard job at all if you've done any wrenching before... Just like the guide says though, make sure you can crack the fill plug before you drain all your fluid out!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Draining transmission cooler lines via DIS

I am still confused about draining the transmission cooler lines. I have access to DIS so I will be draining the lines but I am trying to understand the logic behind getting an accurate oil level. As someone pointed out, in theory aren't you overfilling the transmission if you aren't draining the lines? And vice versa, if you are filling the transmission till the fill plug after draining the lines, aren't you under-filling?

Saw this guide and did mine today. Used DIS to activate the transmission pump and get that bit out of the lines - it's a fair bit extra!

Anyways, not a hard job at all if you've done any wrenching before... Just like the guide says though, make sure you can crack the fill plug before you drain all your fluid out!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts