BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my transmission fluid today following Clyde's instructions. I was having some major hesitation when taking off in first gear, and shifting between every gear I had a pause between shifts. But now after changing the fluid everything is normal again. I gave her the Euro launch and she loves it again!

Thank you Clyde, I also wanted to add a few pictures and some additional details:

Below are Clyde's Notes: My notes are in blue.

The job can be done on jack stands, but it's not very comfortable squeezing under the car.

Off the top of my head, here are the steps:

1. Remove the black plastic panel under the bumper. Many screws and 4 nuts. The 4 Nuts are 13mm
2. Remove the black plastic panel under the engine. Many screws. Use a drill and removing the panels will take 5 minutes.
3. The transmission oil cooler is mounted on the side of the transmission, with flexible oil lines. A bolt (5mm allen) holds the cooler in place. Remove the bolt, and the cooler can be shifted toward the rear of the car and down out of the way. The cooler lines stay attached. But you will also need to disconnect one connector attached to the cooler, see pic. Before you remove the cooler use 22mm wrench and loosen the filter nut. Other wise you will fight it while it's hanging there.
4. The drain and fill plugs should be accessible (8mm short allen socket). Torque 30 lb-ft
4.1. Break the fill plug free first and then the drain. That way you know you can at least fill it again when you are done draining it. The fill plug is tight to access, I ended up putting a 8mm allen wrench and then used a adjustable wrench to break it free. See pic for example.
4.2 Drain fluid, replace washer with new crush washer. Tight to 30lbs.
5. There is a screen filter on the cooler (22mm socket), which should be removed and cleaned. Torque 18 lb-ft. I cleaned it by using compressed air and blowing it clean. Do not forget to add a new washer
6. Fill transmission with new fluid. 3 quart bottles will be enough. You end up using 2.8 bottles. Once it starts spilling out the fill hole you are done. Put a new crush washer on and tighten to 30lbs. I could not get a torque wrench up there so I hand tightened it.
7. Reassemble the black plastic panels and you are good to go.

Some part numbers:
83220309031 transmission fluid, I used Redline MTL
07119963300 transmission washer (3 needed, both plugs and filter)

Some useful parts diagrams from realoem:
RealOEM.com BMW E63 M6 GS7S47BG Transmission oil cooler
RealOEM.com BMW E63 M6 GS7S47BG seals/mounting parts

Tools Needed:
8mm allen socket
8mm allen wrench
5mm socket
6mm socket
8mm socket
13mm socket
Breaker bar
screw driver or bit
torque wrench

Details on Pics:
1. Tools used
2. Bolt to loosen Trans cooler
3. Connector to remove on cooler
4. Cooler pulled back
5. Drain bolt & fill bolt
6. Breaking trans fill bolt free if you do not have short 8mm socket
7. Draining
8. Happy Helga
9. Dirty Cooler filter
10. Clean Cooler filter

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information.

I did mine about four months ago, however I wasn't aware that there was a filter.

Guess I will do it again sometime soon.

I would prefer to have a lift because like you said it gets really crammed with the jack stands.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chad, great write up. One question, where is the filter at?
Its on the end of the trans cooler. If you see the pic of tha Gettag pump, it's on the end of that. It's easy to spot when the cooler is still attached to the transmission.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great write up!
What is the best oil to use?

Thanks
That's up to you. But you have some choices. Their is the obvious BMW's, Redline, Royal Purple, Pentosin, LubMoly. You cannot really go wrong with any of those. But what I learned was the importance of staying on top of regular maintenance and changing fluids regularly.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
4. The drain and fill plugs should be accessible (8mm short allen socket). Torque 30 lb-ft
4.1. Break the fill plug free first and then the drain. That way you know you can at least fill it again when you are done draining it. The fill plug is tight to access, I ended up putting a 8mm allen wrench and then used a adjustable wrench to break it free.
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive Drain Plug Socket Set
I can't verify the Harbor Freight 8mm is short enough to allow clearance to access the fill plug, since I used an even shorter Facom socket (part number D.107-8)
Ultimate Garage sells the Facom Drain Plug Socket, but the single socket is more expensive than the Harbor Freight set.

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Clyde, for 16.99 you can't go wrong, I am going to grab a set. With a drain plug socket that would make is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
755 Posts
added to DIY master

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive Drain Plug Socket Set
I can't verify the Harbor Freight 8mm is short enough to allow clearance to access the fill plug, since I used an even shorter Facom socket (part number D.107-8)
Ultimate Garage sells the Facom Drain Plug Socket, but the single socket is more expensive than the Harbor Freight set.
thanks for the info on the socket sets. Just to add to this thread I found that when I did this job a couple weeks ago I figured out that the wiring harness that runs along side the fill plug is held by clip so all you have to do is push it straight up and it will pop out of the clip and then its out of the way. So if you dont have the short sockets dont worry about it for this job but Im sure youll need them for something else.

·
Registered
549 Posts
when you want to do it right you must connect your car to a tester (DIS or INPA) and when the oil is out you must activate the oil pump from the transmission and 200 ml comes also out who is in the lines ...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for DIY

i just did this because I thought tranny should be smoother. It did not feel like a manual tranny at all. After the change it feels soo much smoother and gears change much faster. I'm soo glad I did this!! Now this is smg!!:applause:

·
Registered
99 Posts
What does the dealer charge for a tranny flush and has anyone done a SMG fluid change? Any differences?
In vancouver dealerships charge an arm and a leg for that! The bmw oil is $45/ltr. I did it myself but if u dont want to get ur hands dirty Get the oil and take it to a mechanic shop to change it for u. Its easy an easy job, but with a lift its much easier!:wroom:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts