BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, like many other members on this board (I hope), I too take the time to remove each wheel when washing the car to be able to clean the inner plastic fenders, calipers, and springs. The temperature controls are set to 72 F, not because thats comfortable , but because it places the dials in the vertical position. The front passenger's seat has to be in line with the drivers, and so on...

Now that I have shared a little bit about my OCD, you should be able to understand why I took the time to clean all ten throttle bodies. It wasn't that the car needed it, as much as I needed to do it for the car. Hopefully this will aid others in accomplishing the same.

1) Remove air filter boxes (top and bottom), cabin air filters and trays, and remove hardware and electrical connector securing coolant expansion tank

2) With a long flat head screwdriver, loosen the clamps that secure the air collector to the throttle housings (the clamps are secured so they will not spin).

3) Remove the rubber spacer/holder at the front of the air collector

4) Remove the plastic ignition coil cover (snaps off)

5) Completely remove the large vent hose

6) Step 5 will allow you access to disconnect the oil return hose from the valve cover

7) Remove the rear and front vent hoses, and carefully remove the air collector

8) Remove bolts that secure fuel rail and rear cover

9) Carefully pull straight up on the fuel rail/injector assembly (note: there are two o-rings, top and bottom of each injector, make sure they do not become misplaced when removing the injectors from the throttle housings).

10) Remove the pull rod from the operating lever

11) With any and all 11mm wrenches, sockets, etc, remove the nuts at the bottom of each throttle housing (I used a 3/8" drive 11mm crow's foot on a 12" extension to reach some of the nuts.

12) I also removed the injectors from the fuel rail to allow more room to work. You can see the difference once cleaned.

13) Remove each butterfly valve from within the throttle housing

15) Using a soft brisseled brush and throttle body cleaner, I cleaned each housing and butterfly valve

Reassembly is the same in the opposite order. I used a little petroleum based jelly on the injector o-rings and air collector hoses to ease in the reinstallation process.

So, I have it all back together, check for leaks (fuel, air, oil) and go for a test drive.

I will comment that the throttle response is identical to before the cleaning, I feel no increase in horsepower, and my fuel consumption is the same. However, that is not why I cleaned them.

Diego

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Why can I only see the one picture?

BTW, you do have OCD! :biggrin:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hmm...I only see the one that has your Engine with the Throttle bodies covered in blue tape or something. Anybody else see them all?

·
Banned
194 Posts
What's up with the pics

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just little 'image place holders' like the following:

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
well, they show, but as 'attachments' at the bottom, and not under each 'numbered list item'. However, we can figure it out!

·
Registered
983 Posts
BTW, how long did that take you

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the initial confusion. I think I edited the origional content so all can see.

Messex - Total job took about 6-8 hours (did it over 4 days). Thank includes taking the underbody off to fish out a dropped o-ring and injector clamp.

·
Registered
735 Posts
WTF? The upside/downside ratio of this project is about as close to 0 as I've ever seen. If you didn't provide the OCD explanation, I would think you were nuts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They were dirty!

·
Registered
195 Posts
What difference did you feel? before and after teh service? any mpg change?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Damn, where'd that last screw go? ;- )

·
Registered
9 Posts
2) With a long flat head screwdriver, loosen the clamps that secure the air collector to the throttle housings (the clamps are secured so they will not spin).

6) Step 5 will allow you access to disconnect the oil return hose from the valve cover

Has anyone know how to access to the fourth and fifth cylinder clamps in step 2? Its way too inside even after I remove the coolant reservoir.

Also, in step 6, do I remove the oil return hose from the body or intake manifold? Is the clamp holding the hose climp clamp or screw type?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
559 Posts
did you feel any difference before and after cleaning it ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts